1/48 Tamiya P-47D Razorback

Well I've caught another snag with the canopy. After I dipped the canopy in future and let it set for a few days, I noticed patchy, white spots and smears over some of the windows. It wiped away easily, but after I went to start masking after dinner last night, the spots had returned. Is it dust? How do I strip the future and start over? I've never had this problem before.

Aaron

Well I fixed the weird canopy situation, and now I'm waiting for some decals to come in the mail (Thanks Geoff!). Until then, I've got the wheels and landing gear to work on, plus the prop (although I'm not sure which one to use yet). The last two days I've taken some time to work on a side project, Monogram's 1/48 EA-6B. I took the plunge and started rescribing. I put the project on the back burner when this Group Build started.

Aaron

Edited for spelling! Ouch!

Edited by jester292

I almost can't believe it, but I actually got some work done on this thing! I painted the gear doors and did some more work on the canopy. After I weather them and actually finish the canopy, I'll post more pics. Thanks for looking.

Aaron

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, finally an update. I've been extremely busy lately. My wife and I have been participating in many church events during evenings, and we're going through the process of buying a home. Here's what I've accomplished this week:

I've started masking more of the canopy, and have bombs and the drop tank ready to go. The bombs need a flat coat, and I have yet to paint the rocket tubes.

P-47D004-1.jpg

I have painted the gear struts and inside of the gear doors. The next session I can manage, they'll get weathered. The struts will be installed and the gear doors will be masked for airbrushing.

P-47D003-2.jpg

My wife and I have 2 kids who really keep us busy as well. Our first daughter, Autumn, is 9. We just had our second daughter in October, and here she is. Avril, born October 7, 2009.

P-47D001-4.jpg

P-47D002-4.jpg

Aaron

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I've been blessed with some time at the bench the past couple evenings, and here's what I've done. First, I've added the belly mounts for the fuel tank. I know this one wasn't very popular with the pilots, but I love the way it looks so here it is dry fitted.

P-47D007-1.jpg

I've finished assembling, painting, and weathering the main landing gear. Here they are ready to be installed at the last moment.

P-47D006-2.jpg

Finally, its all ready to be painted. I'll be using the decals from the box, "Little Chief". I'm not thrilled about how thick the decals are, but I think I'll be able to overcome this last obstacle.

P-47D005-2.jpg

My goal is to be completely done by Sunday, February 28.

Aaron

Aaron,

Lookin good, both the Jug and the baby! I'm hoping to catch up to you this afternoon, but we'll see.

My firstborn is about to hit 1 year in about 3 weeks, so he's been taking up almost all of my spare time lately. He just went down for a nap, so we'll see how much I can get done!

Jon

Yes, they are a joy but do cut our modeling time down considerably. My son is about 21 months and the next one is due in April. Amazingly, he'll actually sit in my lap while working at the modeling desk. He gets pretty angry when I kick him out of the model room to paint though.

Cute baby.

Oh, and good work so far!

Rodney

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Boys!

I've finally got some paint on this baby. Its had the OD/NG on for a while, but I painted the red today. I'll let it dry for a few days, and maybe Sunday or Monday I'll be able to gloss it up. Here you go, and sorry about the cluttered workbench and fuzzy pic:

P-47D002-5.jpg

P-47D001-5.jpg

Aaron

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm back for a short visit. I've realized that my paint job was a little off, as well as my propellor was broken. Between not knowing how to fix the paint and working out of town, I haven't had anytime to come up with a fix. Since I've been away, my wife and I have bought a house and will close next week. My modelling stuff is packed, but I don't think I'll have it done by June. I'm sorry to let you all down, but I will finish it (pending its condition) when I get back home and we have unpacked our stuff. All these jugs are looking great though! Keep up the great work guys.

Aaron