Preshading Under a White Finish Coat?

Cheers,

I plan to try preshading for the first time. The finish color coat of the aircraft will be gloss white. It will also be one that is well maintained. Any suggestions on what color I should use? Primer will be Tamiya White Surface primer. Thanks.

David

If your using a spray bomb I would not reccomend even attempting a preshade. It takes some persice application of the color ( white in this case) building up the color thicker around the preshaded lines to make this work.

I agree that you should probably not use a straight black color. You should either use gray or maybe even a creamy white. I would go aheand and use the gray.

Another thing to keep in mind is that for gloss white finishes, it is very useful to first prime the model with a white primer such as Tamiya's Fine Surface Primer. I am going to prime with white the bottom side of my Hellcat before I paint it Flat White. It will take a lot less of building up the colors especially if you are going with a preshade.

Carlos Saravia

What I would do on my project is this:

- First, I would watch this:

- Then I would prime as normal. Tamiya white is just fine.

- Pre-shade in black.

- Paint the base coat in Tamiya FLAT white. Do a little at a time. Probaby 3 light coats total until it is almost there.

- Paint the final over-coat in Tamiya GLOSS white.

- Do a Future coat followed by (after Future dries, of course) a coating of Polly Scale Gloss Clear.

That's what I would do, but it's your model.

Good luck!

I just did a hellcat with a white underside. Go with a really light preshade. Gray or really really light black with a few passes is fine. I went with White Tamiya Primer because that gave the white a good background to stand against and it did not need many passes with white to get it right.

Carlos

White can be an unforgiving color. A good alternative to preshading white finishes (and some would argue a more realistic one) is to apply an overall coat of white to the model and then go back and repaint various panels in a slightly different color, keeping each variation extremely subtle.