F4U Corsair Questions

I am trying to locate information on colors for these aircraft. There was 3 different paint schemes correct? What were they? I would appreciate any FS numbers and the different brands of paints that would be the best matches for each one of the paint schems. Would model master paints be the best to use?

All the Tamiya kits come with smooth tires but I see Ultracast has diamond, radial, block and smooth tread tires available. What types used these different tires?

The footstep in the flap, was that only in the F4U-1D and needs to be removed for the 1a and 1/2?

Edited by MESHER

Hi Mesher

I gather you are referring to the following (factory fresh Aircraft)

early war - 1942

M-485 Blue Gray (FS 35189)/M-495 Light Gray (FS 36440)

From 1942 till about Beginning 1944 (from memory)

Usually referred to as a "Tri Tone" scheme, but was actually 4 tone

Upper Fuselage

ANA 607 Non-Specular Sea Blue (FS 35042)

Mid Fuselage/Vertical stabillizer

ANA 608 Intermediate Blue (FS 35164)

Wings/Tailplanes upper

ANA 606 Semi-Gloss Sea Blue (FS 25042)

Lower Fuselage/Wings/tailplanes

ANA 601 Insignia White (FS 37880)

NOTE: on the F4U the lower outer wing panels showing when folded, were the Intermediate Blue,

when wearing the 4 tone scheme (For Both Aircraft), Sea Blue generally went from wings up to upper fuslage.

See Link

F4U Paints scheme

Special Note: when the 4 tone scheme first came out the wings/tailplanes had a thin strip of ANA 608 Intermediate Blue (FS 35164)

painted along the leading edge. How long this practice went on, Im not sure.

1944-end of War, Overall Glossy Sea Blue (GSB)

ANA 623 Glossy Sea Blue (FS 15042)

Best paints I have used (well paints available at the time) in New Zealand Aeromaster/Modelmaster,

Gunze make paints in the above, but have not used personally. I'm sure others may give you their recommendations also

Hope that helps

regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

Thanks for the painting info, much appreciated. I think I will go with Model Master paints as they have everyone by FS# and look pretty accurate. I really like the Navy Blue/Grey they have in their Series II line.

I would really appricate someone chirping in on my other questions regarding the differences in tires and the step hole in the flap. Thank you.

The hole in the flap was introduced during the production run of the F4U-4, and as such should not be present on ANY WWII F4U-1/2/1A/1C/1D Corsair. Postwar, it was retrofitted to at least some of the F4U-1D/FG-1D aircraft still in service with the reserves.

Any of the different tire treads could be used on any version.

Hi Mesher,

With respect to Ultracast tyre selection, i would recommend either the block or diamond tread pattern for Carrier and Forward Area uses. The only place where i see slick tyres in abundance seems to be stateside.

HTH,

david

I was asking re: types of wheels as why Tamiya supplied the smooth non-tread type as they are usually pretty accurate in the wheels in their kits.

I suspect the plane Tamiya researched was a WWII version with the smooth tread and the retro-fitted flap step. I'd stay away from smooth tread. Think about it, would you want slicks on a wet carrier deck/wet runway? I picked up the True Details wheels for mine and sanded some of the bulge away. They look pretty good to me