scale calculator for macs?

While I'm not aware of an existing one, I've been planning to develop one myself for a year or so now, but figured there'd be no real interest. Sounds like there might be. I'm also looking at developing an online one too - perhaps even a Dashboard widget.

Kev

that would be great Kev,

on my previous computer (an old dell) i had the program and loved it, but have since moved on to a mac for my future graphic needs and there i just can't use most of the old programs. there has to be more modelers out there who use both the converter and run macs.

id be curious to see a web based program, similar to currency and measurement conversion sites i'm assuming?

Why not just put a formula in an excel spreadsheet (or the spreadsheet software of your choice), plug in the data and go... it's not like converting from one scale to another is rocket science. Multiply whatever measurement by the denominator of the scale you have, and divide by the denominator of the scale you want, then do any necessary unit conversion. For example, say you have a 1/48 part you want to make a new one in 1/32: A measurement on the part is 1 inch, so multiply 1 by 48, then divide that answer (48) by 32. Your measurement in 1/32 is 1.5 inches. If you need the answer in mm, then convert inches to mm. Either make that part of the spreadsheet, or just use one of the many unit conversion websites out there.

It works the same way going the other way, too. Say you need to scale that 1/48 part to 1/144: Multiply the measurement by what you have (48) and divide by what you want (144); the answer would be 0.333 inches for your 1 inch 1/48 part in 1/144.

id be curious to see a web based program, similar to currency and measurement conversion sites i'm assuming?

Essentially, yes.

... it's not like converting from one scale to another is rocket science.

While that's essentially true, questions about scale conversion come up all the time, and there are many people for whom figuring out the logic is a challenge. It's always nice to have a handy tool to do the grunt work for you, and not everybody has (or uses) Excel.

Kev

While that's essentially true, questions about scale conversion come up all the time, and there are many people for whom figuring out the logic is a challenge. It's always nice to have a handy tool to do the grunt work for you, and not everybody has (or uses) Excel.

Kev

True, but even if one does not have excel, I just laid out exactly how to do the calculation. It's basic arithmetic at this point.

True, but even if one does not have excel, I just laid out exactly how to do the calculation. It's basic arithmetic at this point.

Joe, you're missing the point. If it really was that basic, the question would never come up. You're not the first person to lay this basic arithmetic out for people, and you won't be the last. Besides, one person's basic arithmetic is another person's brow-furrowing bewilderment. I'm only offering to help in a more permanent way than a forum post. If nobody's interested, I probably won't bother. Or maybe I'll do it anyway, just as an exercise.

Kev

Joe, you're missing the point. If it really was that basic, the question would never come up. You're not the first person to lay this basic arithmetic out for people, and you won't be the last. Besides, one person's basic arithmetic is another person's brow-furrowing bewilderment. I'm only offering to help in a more permanent way than a forum post. If nobody's interested, I probably won't bother. Or maybe I'll do it anyway, just as an exercise.

Kev

I don't know, maybe I am missing the point. I can understand that some people might have difficulty setting up the calculation, but if the calculation is laid out and all one has to do is plug the numbers in and punch the buttons on a calculator it seems pretty straightforward. Maybe it's just me, so I'll back off on this.

I don't know, maybe I am missing the point. I can understand that some people might have difficulty setting up the calculation, but if the calculation is laid out and all one has to do is plug the numbers in and punch the buttons on a calculator it seems pretty straightforward. Maybe it's just me, so I'll back off on this.

you're right Joe, but i think its a tool that was already in existence and it was something that some people are just used to using more than doing the longhand themselves. i don't want to think of it as an excuse for laziness, just something thats quicker to reach for. the format of the form does alot for many people too who always aren't comfortable with number crunching, it gives them a ballpark for what needs to be entered and explains what the result is...sometimes even provoking individuals to do the math themselves to double check...

like i said i was just curious if the same tool existed for a different format for people who didn't have a windows machine (most people who don't have pc's don't have acess to excel)

Well, open office has a spreadsheet for mac. So it works.

Me, I just liked being able to measure the part on the kit and the same section in the painting instructions plunking in the numbers and getting the scale up/down for making my own paper masks.

Now if we could just get that foil trick to work through the printer..imagine the fun then!

GET A PC :P :P

Always wanted to post that :P

LOL. I am still fiddling with my iMac. Discovered it'll work with my PC scanner/printer combo but only with the printing option. Rats! Will now have to buy a new printer/scanner for it too, unless someone can help me out. I have an Epson Stylus CX6400 in case you were wondering. :P

The PC has Photoshop 7 installed so I still have to have it around just for that. I'm not gonna spend another $$$$ for a new version of it! BTW, anyone have a really old version of Photoshop lying around? Like Photoshop 4 or something? I need an older version as my 7 is an upgrade and I can't upgrade my other laptop to 7 without a previous version. :)

*sigh*

I'm thinking a Dashboard widget would be ideal for this. It's not really a matter of being unable to do the calculations, but instead having a quick & easy way to do them on-demand. Invoke D'board, type in the numbers, and click the convert button. No starting up spreadsheets, opening browser windows, running multiple equations in a calculator, just instant results whenever you'd need them. Sweet :wub:

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
LOL. I am still fiddling with my iMac. Discovered it'll work with my PC scanner/printer combo but only with the printing option. Rats! Will now have to buy a new printer/scanner for it too, unless someone can help me out. I have an Epson Stylus CX6400 in case you were wondering. :cheers:

Sorry for the slight detour:

In case you haven't gotten your Epson working yet, here's the link for the CX6400 off of Epson USA's Driver Support site.

Epson has actually been one of the 3rd party printer companies that have good Mac support - I've been using Epsons with my Macs for the last 15 years.

To the question at hand: I don't like to longhand the calculation, either, and would love the handiness of a widget / app. That said, if I get around to a spreadsheet, I might do that, too (but fractions to decimals are a pain).

Edited by danse
  • 1 month later...