F-105D Thunderchief

Here is my 1/48 Hobby Boss Thud, built to represent Karl Richter's aircraft. I built this for my dad, who served with Richter in Korat, Thailand in '66 and '67.

I added an Avionix resin cockpit, Bombs and centerline rack from a Hasegawa weapons set, and Verlinden RBF tags. Decals are a mix of Aeromaster (stars 'n' bars and stencils), Microscale railroad letters and numbers (from which I pieced together the "USAF" and the serial number), and homemade (Richter's name).

I know there may be some inaccuracies, but it has Richter's name on it and that's all that's really important to my dad.

I hope you like it!

- Justin

Thud1.jpg

Thud2.jpg

Thud3.jpg

Thud5.jpg

Thud6.jpg

Thud7.jpg

ciao

really a wonderful build..of a wonderful aircraft....

u inspired me..and now i think ill buy a Thunderchief too :-)

even if for sure ill not be able to build and paint it in a such nice way like u:-)

ciao

Alex

Thank you for the kind words, everybody! :jaw-dropping:

Beautiful build - I just love the weathering effect. Postshading??

Did you cut the centerline pylon off of the centerline tank or is it available as a seperate pylon from an AM company?

Yes, I did postshade. I used Gunze acrylics for the SEA camo colors, then modified them with Tamiya acrylics for the postshade. If I remember correctly, I added XF-4 Yellow Green to the medium green, XF-2 White to the dark green, and XF-57 Buff to the tan.

I scratchbuilt the centerline pylon using an old Monogram kit as a guide.

That's awesome! Great paintwork! How was the build itself,fit issues at all?

There weren't really any fit issues to speak of. The whole thing went together surprisingly well!