1/35 Scale 'Flying Control' Dodge WC51

More progress this afternoon. Here's the updated pics, starting with the Astrodome plug. I started out with a 3/4 inch square strip of 'Chemiwood' a very dense polyeurethane ( I think ) resin board. This was rough sanded on the belt sander into an octagon shape to better fit in the lathe chuck. It was turned down and finished with wet and dry, used wet.

dodge28.jpg

A piece of 1/2 inch plywood was drilled with a hole a bit larger than the plug and a piece of clear plastic tacked with cyano to the ply. The plastic was then heated over the halogen element on the cooker to soften it. Once soft and flexible, the plug was plunged through the plastic into the hole, and then held there until the plastic cooled.

dodge29.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force

Nice job on the dome bud :wacko:

I have actually been thinking about doing something similar for afterburner effects for in-flight jet models.

Saved a few good sized blister packages from Xmas.

Edited by Wayne S
..........Saved a few good sized blister packages for Xmas.

There's a sign of a true modeller, never throwing anything away!!!

Ive finished all the graphics for the waterslides now. A friend of mine deals with something called crafty computer paper. I don't know if that's a trade name or not, but basically it is laser printable waterslide paper. I'll get him to scale all the graphics to the correct size and print them out for me, ready to apply once the painting is complete.

There's a sign of a true modeller, never throwing anything away!!!

:D

Ive finished all the graphics for the waterslides now. A friend of mine deals with something called crafty computer paper. I don't know if that's a trade name or not, but basically it is laser printable waterslide paper. I'll get him to scale all the graphics to the correct size and print them out for me, ready to apply once the painting is complete.

Sounds like a plan, Laser definitely seams to be the way to go.

More progress tonight, but this time we're really getting somewhere. All the checkers were drawn on with a pencil. I decided against masking as there are so many little grills, fixings, and corners to go around, it would be a nightmare. So, I'm brush painting it. Here's the truck marked up and ready. Oh yes, the eagle eyed may have noticed I knocked the rear spotlight off giving it a light rub down before painting. I didn't loose it, so it will go back on after the checkers.

dodge32.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
And after almost three hours work, the front end was pretty much done! ( and so were my eyes! :P )

LOL, before I even scrolled down to read this part. I lost my eye sight soon as I read "So, I'm brush painting it."

Good thinking on marking the squares :cop:

Edited by Wayne S

Well another four hours past by tonight gazing at black squares! Only the rear of the body and the front grill left to checker. There's a few edges to touch up yet, but my eyes have gone funny, and I can still see checkers staring at the white text box on the computer screen.

dodge35.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force

Another couple of hours checker painting tonight. That's almost nine hours in total. The checkers don't meet correctly on the roof, but that isn't an error on the model, it is the same on the real truck. The side flaps, rear doors and grill were last to be checkered.

dodge37.jpg

dodge36.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force

Tonight saw a little more paint touch ups on the checkers and other detail painting. The rear doors, one side door, tool rack, front grill, steering wheel, spare wheel were fitted, and spot light re-fitted.

Lights painted and front grill on

dodge38.jpg

Spare wheel and side flap ( in open position )

dodge39.jpg

Rear doors and tool rack

dodge40.jpg

General view. The cab canvas and screen are just placed on for this picture and not yet glued.

dodge41.jpg

The astro dome had its bottom mounting lip made too, and I ordered the waterslide paper.

dodge42.jpg

No photos yet, but the wheels were also glued on tonight.

Edited by Army_Air_Force

Didn't manage to get anything done last night. At work, we spent about 45 minutes digging our way through the snow and ice along a back lane on the way to our spraying facilities to work on the Sea Fury. After that and a day in the spray booth, I was burned out ( old age catching up! ).

The waterslides are in production, so I expect I might see them next week. I think the next job will be to fix the canvas cab roof on and blend the canvas in over the astrodome mount.

A little progress this afternoon, but now it's being left to cure. The roof canvas was glued on and the canvas over the dome mount was built up in Milliput. This was shaped and a few wrinkles added with the blunt end of a paint brush. The four leather straps that hold the roof down were added with some thin styrene cut into 0.75mm wide strips.

dodge43.jpg

A few more checkers were touched up to straighten the edges and the wheel hubs touched in following the attachment of the wheels on Thursday. 

Edited by Army_Air_Force

Roof canvas has now been trimmed and blended in, roof straps painted, the olive drab around the reflectors is done plus a little more touching up inside and out.

dodge44.jpg

The dome is also glued in now.

dodge45.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force

Thank you!

You're gonna like this! The flag and wind sock. The flag is a graphic I did on the computer, mirror imaged it and printed it on paper. This was then folded back on itself and stuck with double sided tape.

dodge48.jpg

The wind sock is also paper, rolled and stuck with double sided tape, crinkled a bit and painted. Brass wire forms the poles.

dodge46.jpg

dodge47.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force