Trumpeter 1/32 F-14D

Minor update, guys.

Using the white glue soaked tissue trick (thanks Jason), I enhanced the simulated fabric on the front coaming.

tomcat13jpg.jpg

As usual, the Avionix pit has great details, but I jazzed it up more using fine wires and plastic.

tomcat14jpg.jpg

tomcat15jpg.jpg

I am now in the middle of airbrushing the resin, and will post more pics as I progress further along in painting. Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Terry

Cockpit painting is progress nicely. Here are a couple of pics to show you the latest.

Here are the side walls and the IP's. The green on the LCD displays are too bright, I will tone it down with a layer of Tamiya smoke later.

tomcat16.jpg

Here are the tubs:

tomcat17.jpg

tomcat18.jpg

I added some wires to the GPS thingy on the RIO's coaming, here it is:

tomcat19.jpg

The painting is far from over yet. A lot of details have yet to be picked out. I still have to paint the control sticks, the NACES seats, gloss coat, dark wash and high light, and decal the IP gauges. I'll show more pics are I move along. Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Terry

Cockpit painting is progress nicely. Here are a couple of pics to show you the latest.

Here are the side walls and the IP's. The green on the LCD displays are too bright, I will tone it down with a layer of Tamiya smoke later.

tomcat16.jpg

Here are the tubs:

tomcat17.jpg

tomcat18.jpg

I added some wires to the GPS thingy on the RIO's coaming, here it is:

tomcat19.jpg

The painting is far from over yet. A lot of details have yet to be picked out. I still have to paint the control sticks, the NACES seats, gloss coat, dark wash and high light, and decal the IP gauges. I'll show more pics are I move along. Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Terry

Just wondering on how you are going to deal with the inside of the fuselage that houses the gun bay , I have the same kit an was thinking of using the Aries pit the thought of spending 75 + $ on resen an cutting it up kind of makes me sick . Good luck on your build .

Just wondering on how you are going to deal with the inside of the fuselage that houses the gun bay , I have the same kit an was thinking of using the Aries pit the thought of spending 75 + $ on resen an cutting it up kind of makes me sick . Good luck on your build .

The BB resin cockpits fits within the fuselage without too much modification on the plastic. Since the fit actually quite loose, I'll need to shim the sides of the walls in order to get things to glue. I'll worry about that part when I get there.

The NACES ejection seat pull rings have been giving me a headache. After looking at the DACO book and online resources, it appears those are not simple rings with a black-yellow spiral pattern. They are actually two rings stacked together, and has a piece of orange fabric in the hole. I just spent two days scratch building those rings. TWO DAYS! Can you believe it?

This is the original attempt which I ended up NOT using. Its a couple of wire loops coated in white glue:

tomcat20.jpg

The eventual rings started as painted wires:

tomcat21.jpg

They were braided together to form the black-yellow spiral string:

tomcat22.jpg

The basic shape was formed:

tomcat23.jpg

In order to make the string look like a tube instead of a braid, many layers of Future was given to built up a "shell".

This is how it looks with the Future "shell". I know it still looks braided, but keep in mind this is a super massive close-up. The fabric in the middle was umm, fabricated using white glue.

tomcat24.jpg

Compare the discarded ring vs the one used (notice the used one now has the middle painted orange):

tomcat25.jpg

Rings installed on the seats.

tomcat26.jpg

Now I am ready to give the cockpits parts a layer of Future. More to come.

Cheers,

Terry

The pull handles look really good!! These parts always give me a problem, can never get them right. When i did my F-14D one of the deciding factors between a B or D was the D didn`t use the overhead handles, pretty sad, huh? What kid of paint did you use, when i tried this the paint cracked off.

Don

The pull handles look really good!! These parts always give me a problem, can never get them right. When i did my F-14D one of the deciding factors between a B or D was the D didn`t use the overhead handles, pretty sad, huh? What kid of paint did you use, when i tried this the paint cracked off.

Don

Don,

I used Tamiya and Gunze acrylics.

Cheers,

Terry

Edited by loftycomfort
The BB resin cockpits fits within the fuselage without too much modification on the plastic. Since the fit actually quite loose, I'll need to shim the sides of the walls in order to get things to glue. I'll worry about that part when I get there.

The NACES ejection seat pull rings have been giving me a headache. After looking at the DACO book and online resources, it appears those are not simple rings with a black-yellow spiral pattern. They are actually two rings stacked together, and has a piece of orange fabric in the hole. I just spent two days scratch building those rings. TWO DAYS! Can you believe it?

This is the original attempt which I ended up NOT using. Its a couple of wire loops coated in white glue:

tomcat20.jpg

The eventual rings started as painted wires:

tomcat21.jpg

They were braided together to form the black-yellow spiral string:

tomcat22.jpg

The basic shape was formed:

tomcat23.jpg

In order to make the string look like a tube instead of a braid, many layers of Future was given to built up a "shell".

This is how it looks with the Future "shell". I know it still looks braided, but keep in mind this is a super massive close-up. The fabric in the middle was umm, fabricated using white glue.

tomcat24.jpg

Compare the discarded ring vs the one used (notice the used one now has the middle painted orange):

tomcat25.jpg

Rings installed on the seats.

tomcat26.jpg

Now I am ready to give the cockpits parts a layer of Future. More to come.

Cheers,

Terry

not too bad looks really nice I am watching your build thinking about how I am going to Handel my tomcat I was wonder if you have looked at the Aries set for the f110 engines that they have for the tamiya kit ?

not too bad looks really nice I am watching your build thinking about how I am going to Handel my tomcat I was wonder if you have looked at the Aries set for the f110 engines that they have for the tamiya kit ?

Thank you. Funny you should ask, because my Aires F-110 engine nozzles should be arriving in my mailbox any day now.

The cockpit itself is complete (minus the HUD glass). Installing it will be another major task, but I won't get to it until I first finish up the nose gear and gear bay. When the gear is done, the cockpit, the rear deck, the gear and all go in as I close the front fuselage halves.

tomcat27.jpg

tomcat28.jpg

tomcat29.jpg

tomcat30.jpg

tomcat31.jpg

tomcat32.jpg

Cheers,

Terry

I really like what you've done with the seat padding and the pull-ropes. Great going.

Did you notice this gap ?

I'd already seen the problem on my pit, thinking I was doing something wrong. But yours is the same.

Progress-12b.jpg

Lofty-Hole.jpg

I've got another tricky thing with the wheel wells I'll put on my own progress thread in a minute.

Guys, thank you for your kind comments, I appreciate them.

One thing about a "loftycomfort" build, it's always at a high level. Thanks for posting your progress.

Chuck, your Hornet's level of details is just astrouding. So when a comment like this comes from you, it really means something! Thank you!.

I really like what you've done with the seat padding and the pull-ropes. Great going.

Did you notice this gap ?

I'd already seen the problem on my pit, thinking I was doing something wrong. But yours is the same.

Apparently Trumpeter isn't entirely wrong because the DACO book shows a gap there, and the Avionix coaming also has a gap. I just wish Trumpeter would have executed it better by providing a blanking plate. I'll fix this later with plastic sheets.

Normally, I'm not one who spends too much time detailing landing gears - it's just not my thing. But I feel that the nose gear is severely under-detailed for a kit this size (Trumpeter's 1/32 F-100 has much more detailed landing gears), especially when compare to the cockpit, so I have to dress it up a bit.

tomcat34.jpg

tomcat35.jpg

This is what I did to the gear:

1) The spot light molded integrally with the gear was *pathetic*. It was just a blob of plastic with no lense, and it's undersized. It was sawed off and replaced with one from a Tamiya F-16 (the white thing in the pic)

2) The rectangular light box underneath the spot light did not have the holes to represent the green/yellow/red lights. Holes were drilled to represent them. Easy.

3) Underneath the rectangular light box was a locking mechanism that's missing. The DACO book is a good reference for scratch building this thing. A hydraulic strut was also added that connects the locking thing to the hydraulic pump (the cylinder at the back).

4) The top part of the hydraulic pump is a complex object with many wires sticking out. Trumpeter simply molded the whole thing as a box (!!!) The box was replaced with plastic bits. Again the DACO book come to the rescue.

5) Fine wires attached to the pump.

I have to say, I didn't particularly enjoy this part that well, but I feel it's necessary to do the big cat justice.

The nose wheel bays are very detailed out of the box, so I won't be adding any scratch details there.

Cheers,

Terry

I just about freaked on the instrument panel cover as well. I noticed it on the one I'm working on, and I thought maybe I'd just got a "lemon" kit. So I went and opened the second one I have in the stash and noticed the same problem, so I thought maybe it was an issue with all the first-run Trumpy Tomcats, then I looked at the "test shots" of the sprues online and noticed it the same way, so I figured it was supposed to be that way.