something to hang from a viking

I am working on a 1/48 Esci issue S-3A. I am upgrading to an S-3B with resin cockpit and Eduard set. I would like to add a couple drop tanks to the wings or one tank and one buddy pod, since they are almost always seen with them. Are there aftermarket pieces available? If not, what kit can the correct tanks be robbed from?

Also,I was planning on using the Santa Tracker decals for the kit but, they are out of stock at TwoBobs. Are there any other similar sheets available? Do you know if somebody has them in stock? Thanks for the help.

I am working on a 1/48 Esci issue S-3A. I am upgrading to an S-3B with resin cockpit and Eduard set. I would like to add a couple drop tanks to the wings or one tank and one buddy pod, since they are almost always seen with them. Are there aftermarket pieces available? If not, what kit can the correct tanks be robbed from?

Also,I was planning on using the Santa Tracker decals for the kit but, they are out of stock at TwoBobs. Are there any other similar sheets available? Do you know if somebody has them in stock? Thanks for the help.

Two Mikes is releasing an update set soon for the S-3

Cobra Company has a resin buddy tank that can be used on the S-3. The AMT ES-3A Shadow release of the Viking has both a wing mounted tank and buddy pod included. Don M.

http://www.cobracompany.com/48012.htm

Thank you. I will check into the cobra company pod right now. The original issue of the kit that I have has only 1 missle.

I was wondering if a hasegawa A-7 tank might work?

I was wondering if a hasegawa A-7 tank might work?

Yes, the tanks where the same, you just need to move the fins around. The A-7 used three fins for the inboard stations and two for the outboard. IIRC the S-3 used the X configuration. All you have to do is move the fins around.

HTH

Reddog

Yes, the tanks where the same, you just need to move the fins around. The A-7 used three fins for the inboard stations and two for the outboard. IIRC the S-3 used the X configuration. All you have to do is move the fins around.

HTH

Reddog

Thanks Reddog,I have an A-7E kit I can rob from. The fins should be no big deal. I ordered the buddy pod from Cobra Company and I found a set of S-3 seamless intakes from Cam. All I need now is a good set of decals for it. I do not like CAG birds. It looks like I will go with a Superscale set. Cag birds are too clean. Not sure which one yet.

We have a full S-3B set coming in the next 6 weeks. It should give you everything you need to make an S-3B including the buddy pod. There are also some other goodies for the S-3 in works.

Stay tuned!! :)

We have a full S-3B set coming in the next 6 weeks. It should give you everything you need to make an S-3B including the buddy pod. There are also some other goodies for the S-3 in works.

Stay tuned!! :)

Thanks, I checked the thread on this site and it looks great! You should put in the correct fuel tank as well. The early Esci kits had only 1 missle and does not help builders of S-3B's. Also the 2 tank configuration can aid other S-3B builders if they have the Italieri kit. Options are always good.

Thanks, I checked the thread on this site and it looks great! You should put in the correct fuel tank as well. The early Esci kits had only 1 missle and does not help builders of S-3B's. Also the 2 tank configuration can aid other S-3B builders if they have the Italieri kit. Options are always good.

The set posted is currently being revamped. I have no doubt you will like it!! :)

The Cobra Co buddy store is the D-704 and is different to the one that was carried by the Viking towards the end. If you are doing a late Viking, I'd wait for the Two Mikes set.

For the wing drop tanks, you could also use the Hasegawa AV-8B or A-4 tanks with suitable changed rear fin assembly.

Edited by CraigSargent
The A-7, A-6, A-4, AV-8B, EA-6B, EA-6A, S-3 and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head, used the same drop tank, the AERO 1D. The only difference between them is the fin configuration.

Reddog

-Exelant..........I hoped so !!!!!!!!!

Thanks Reddog,I have an A-7E kit I can rob from. The fins should be no big deal. I ordered the buddy pod from Cobra Company and I found a set of S-3 seamless intakes from Cam. All I need now is a good set of decals for it. I do not like CAG birds. It looks like I will go with a Superscale set. Cag birds are too clean. Not sure which one yet.

ooh, ooh, tell me its vs-31's low viz decals

ooh, ooh, tell me its vs-31's low viz decals

I ended up getting Superscale 48-0950, VS-38. Low vis of course. I will do some research to make it an everyday flier. No CAG birds. I have a little time before I settle the decal question for sure. I am always on the lookout for good set to use. Thanks for the additional input on the tank. I have a couple of other kits to possibly rob from. I did notice the buddy pod was not the same. Again, I will research and come up with a suitable correction(or at least one I can live with).

I have an A-7E kit I can rob from.

Just to be on the safe side - I hope you don't plan to use the tanks ouf of Hobbyboss's SLUF kit..?

These are way, *way* off length- and diameterwise - they are too stretched and too skinny.

HTH,

Andre

I ended up getting Superscale 48-0950, VS-38. Low vis of course. I will do some research to make it an everyday flier. No CAG birds. I have a little time before I settle the decal question for sure. I am always on the lookout for good set to use. Thanks for the additional input on the tank. I have a couple of other kits to possibly rob from. I did notice the buddy pod was not the same. Again, I will research and come up with a suitable correction(or at least one I can live with).

I have several Monogram AV-8B kits. I plan on using at least one tank. Depending on how much modification will be needed on the Cobra buddy pod, I might use 2 tanks. I am going to compare the tank from the Hasegawa A-7E with the Monogram tank to see how they look.

The Cobra Co buddy store is the D-704 and is different to the one that was carried by the Viking towards the end. If you are doing a late Viking, I'd wait for the Two Mikes set.

For the wing drop tanks, you could also use the Hasegawa AV-8B or A-4 tanks with suitable changed rear fin assembly.

Will the Two Mikes' buddy store for the S-3 be valid for use on the Super Hornet?