Trumpeter Tu-22M3 'Backfire C'

Great pics of the intakes Ken!!

Just so everyone knows, I am currently about 30% finished with full depth intakes for the Tu-22M2 and will be doing the M3 next. If i can get some good dimensions of the variable ramps, I could always try and get them done in photo etch.

Cheers

Mike

Just so everyone knows, I am currently about 30% finished with full depth intakes for the Tu-22M2 and will be doing the M3 next. If i can get some good dimensions of the variable ramps, I could always try and get them done in photo etch.

Cheers

Mike

That sounds cool. It would be interesting to see some photos, Mike!

And all the rest of you send some photos and dimensions for this guy! :soapbox:

:D

Cheers

Mike

I'll be in for a set of whatever goes to production for the M2 & the M3.......

I alerady aksed here in different topic, but no answer...

Do you have anybody a picture of the area in the real aircraft, where Trumpeta made wells full of equipment ahead of the main gear wells? There is no any cover in the model, so I am wondering how to finish this area...

Guys,

I have searched through all my Backfire refs - and found this photo in '90 Years of Long Range Aviation' ......

Maint%20Hatch.jpg

It looks like a maintenance hatch - but does not appear to have a drop-down door attached.

Maybe it is just a removeable panel - held on by a set of fasteners.

(although that is unusual - most panels on Russian aircraft appear to have hinges or straps - so they cannot be 'lost')

It is also further outboard - round the curve of the fuselage than Trumpeter have it - and they have not included that small intake above it.

I can't find any photos of a Backfire in flight with that panel open - so I guess it should only be open during maintenance - or missile loading ???

The hatch in front - which is obviously a jacking point - clearly has a 'door' - with a piano-wire hinge.

I wonder where Trumpeter got the refs for it - as it is clearly there - just not normally open.

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

Given the photos of the M3 ramps - any idea how long it'll take to get a set of etched-brass ramps done ???

If it isn't too long, I'll put my M3 'on hold' and wait for them, but if it is going to be six months down the line - I'll have a go at scratch-building my own.

Cheers

Ken

Finished. Just out of the box but with Neomega resin seats. Will add plates into the intakes in the close future (I hope :-) )

http://s703.photobucket.com/albums/ww35/ti...t=IMG_4495a.jpg

http://s703.photobucket.com/albums/ww35/ti...t=IMG_4503a.jpg

http://s703.photobucket.com/albums/ww35/ti...t=IMG_4500a.jpg

Finished. Just out of the box but with Neomega resin seats. Will add plates into the intakes in the close future (I hope :-) )

http://s703.photobucket.com/albums/ww35/ti...t=IMG_4495a.jpg

http://s703.photobucket.com/albums/ww35/ti...t=IMG_4503a.jpg

http://s703.photobucket.com/albums/ww35/ti...t=IMG_4500a.jpg

Nice one 'tiger331' - great finish.

I hope you don't mind me saying - that the main gear doors are usually closed on the ground - they only open during gear cycling.

They can be opened manually for maintenance though........

Nice model :rolleyes:

Ken

I know Ken, but the undercarriage wells are so nicely equipped :-)

I agree !! - I will make mine with them open. :bandhead2:

I also want to make it with the flaps & slats down - so I will pretend that it is being serviced :whistle:

The only trouble is - I want to include the rotary launcher plus the Kh-15 missiles - as they are unique to the M3.

But - it shouldn't have a full armament if it is being serviced.

No matter - I will claim artistic licence :rolleyes:

Ken

• 1 month later...

Interesting new (to me at least) photo of a Tu-22M with a Kh-22 missile suspended from the centre weapons bay.....

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showt...sis%29/page1988

Scroll down to post #29811 - and then through a load of other photos.

You can see a section of the door folded up inside the weapons bay - plus the closed maingear door.

Ken

That photo would be useful for diorama purposes. It'd be neat to scratchbuild that cart on which the Kh-22 is mounted.

As an aside, I hadn't registered that MiG-31s had done CVN touch-and-gos. :whistle:

That photo would be useful for diorama purposes. It'd be neat to scratchbuild that cart on which the Kh-22 is mounted.

As an aside, I hadn't registered that MiG-31s had done CVN touch-and-gos. :D

Like this??..... :shoot:

model_008.jpg

model_009.jpg

Ken

Cheers

Mike

Mike, How soon do you need them? I will be in Ukraine at the end of May for three weeks to see my family. If you need any photos etc drop me a line.I can get to Kyiv, no problems to take measurements or photos.If I need to I can climb into the intakes!

HTH

Mike, How soon do you need them? I will be in Ukraine at the end of May for three weeks to see my family. If you need any photos etc drop me a line.I can get to Kyiv, no problems to take measurements or photos.If I need to I can climb into the intakes!

HTH

I think the M3 has been re-assembled by now......

Ukrain2006_27.jpg

I took the above in 2006 - you may need a stepladder now :huh:

Can you please photograph the mainwheel bay - and show exactly where the retraction strut fixes into the top of the bay.

Plus the outer quadrant of the fairing where the upper end of the main gear leg attaches - to show the small door at the top - and the fact that the outer face is not open as on the Trumpeter kit....

This bit...

Tu-22M3%20018.jpg

Oh! - and the exact outline of the lower surface of the inboard flap section (the bit pencilled in above) - I need to cut away the flap.

....and the strike camera just aft of the nosewheel bay...

.... and the lower edge of the windscreen - where it slopes up to meet the frame (if you can get up high enough).

... and the Kh-22 on its dolly (if it is still there)...

In fact - a complete walkround of all three Backfires (M0, M2 & M3) would be great - if you have the time :salute: :salute: :worship:

Cheers

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi there , hope you guys don't mind me joining in here! First time I've posted on thid great site but I do frequent many others.

I'm in the process of building the M3 myself for magazine review and find this thread extremely interesting and informative. My Backfire is progressing well at the moment (hoping to be ready for Cosford)but I keep turning up little things here and there that need adding otr taking away!!,

If I may add some progress pics, I hope they are of use ,

I intend to have everything open and hanging out on this one as I want to to be part of a large diorama with support vehicles , etc...

These posts are taken directly from another site so please excuse any 'strange comments'!! :worship:

Many thanks,

Andy...

Right , first up as usual is the cockpit which as has been pointed out is too shallow which in turn means that the nice Neo seats need to be severly hacked to bits to fit both in depth and width, (not that this is a problem on the finished model really). Plans are afoot to make a replcement resin tub but Like Ken here I dropped the floor and fitted them that way.

The seats themselves are rather nice and replace the totally inaccurate kit parts, which for some reason represent the K-36 ejection seats instead of the KT-1M used by the real thing...

After painting and washes at them they come up quite nicely..

P1070817-1-1.jpg

P1070818-1.jpg

P1070521-1.jpg

The cockpit pretty much finished just a bit more dry brushing and fine detail to add and we're there...I've added some red canopy release handles and made some throttles and spoiler levers as well as several new instrument consoles that were missing.....getting a bit crampped in there. New crt screen s to add and a few fuse boxes down the side of each seat...

P1070526-1-1.jpg

P1070524-1.jpg

The inner exhaust petals have to be scribed as the kit parts are just plain smooth plastic.....

Painted with Alclad magnesium, pale gold, duralumin, jet exhaust and aluminium, finished using oil washes, (burnt umber and lamp black thinned with white spirit) and MiG pigments...

P1080022-1-1.jpg

P1080017-1-1.jpg

P1080023-1-1.jpg

Afterburner rings and fan face courtesy of a spare Aires set...

P1080004-1.jpg

Edited by General Melchett

Right, the undercariage is nearly done...final wiring / plumbing will be done when the gears in situ. The gears are pretty good if slightly inaccurate, but they look the part, adding hydraulic lines and pumps busies them up a bit..refitting the modified retraction struts is a must , they need to be turned through 90 degrees to sit correctly..

Finished with Gunze Mr Hobby acrylics, and oils washes...

P1080028-1.jpg

P1080026-1.jpg

P1080030-1.jpg

P1080032-1.jpg

Anyway modified the cockpit hatches as the inner window anti flash shields are far too small and need opening up some as shown below, also the first aid boxes are way too small so have been replaced with 2mm card..gotta find some tiny red crosses now!!,

modified windows on the left...(obviously!)..

P1080035-1.jpg

P1080044-1.jpg

As you can see the whole front end with support struts is wrong, but to be honest it would be a lot of extra work for little effect once the units are fitted, the only thing I might do is replace the single kit strut with the two either side of the long strut, (which itself is wrongly located, it should be fixed between the front wheels..why Trumpy did this with so much data available,well who knows!! :hypnotised: )...

w_tu22m3_zhulyany_43.jpg

w_tu22m3_zhulyany_51.jpg

Bit more done on the undercarriage bays and bomb bay, I've decided on a pack of six KH-15's mounted on the rotary launcher and a full compliment of FAB 250's on both the under fuselage pylons. Might add a KH-22 on one of the wing pylons, just have to wait and see how the TwoMikes ones come out as the kit parts are inaccurate...( surprise, surprise)...

Some more pipework will go into the bays later, though not a lot can be seen of the roof of the bomb bay once the rotary pack has been fitted so any extra detail will be wasted to be honest.... The small missile bay covers have been fitted and filled and the stub inner wings fitted...

P1070877-1-1.jpg

P1070859-1-1.jpg

Another area that needs attention are the two locating stubs on the tailplanes as these are very delicate and easy to snap off. As I wanted the surfaces movable I went down my usual route of replacing them with brass rod....much better!

P1070864-1-1.jpg

P1070863-1-1-1.jpg

The intakes are poor and lack any detail at all!!...here's the real deal, quite a lot going on here!...

w_tu22m3_kiev_41.jpg

So out with the Evergreen and masking tape.....I know there should be a row of five vents but I found that out after finishing the part...will replace!

P1070872-1-1.jpg

Then the backplate for the doors were sprayed and added at a suitable angle .

P1070873-1-1.jpg

The cockpit windshield..I decided to rebuild the area rather than just mask the incorrect part. It is only push fit for now as a bit more work is needed to get a satisfactory shape and fit, then it'll all be smoothed in and detail readded..

P1080052-1.jpg

Also modding the rear area between the exhaust nozzles, as per photos,

w_tu22m3_zhulyany_11.jpg

Like their new Fencer the enginesnozzles are too far apart but that would take a lot to correct...

P1080057-1.jpg

P1080058-1.jpg

Great work :) :) :worship:

That cockpit looks great

Mine's on hold - waiting for an etched intake grille.......

Well spotted on the clamshell windows - I missed that :doh:

Have you sorted out the inner wing flap yet ?? - I'd be interested to see how you do it....

Keep 'em coming...

Cheers

Ken

PS - Who'll be first with a scratchbuilt access platform ???