Trumpeter Tu-22M3 'Backfire C'

Thanks Ken, appreciate that!... :) , I managed to miss the strike camera and as I've closed the the thing up that'll have to be a decal I think, (though I'm tempted to open the hatch up, a decal's too easy!! :) )...

Yep, I've cut the inner flaps out and reshaped the inner faces.It appears that theends of the fairings seem to slide into the main section, ( sort of like the Victor 2's slipper tanks....be nice if someone had some video of the flap deployment.....ha, fat chance!, wish I'd taken some footage of it at Cottesmore back when!)....just need to work out the geometry now.....leaving that til a bit later!..

P1080064.jpg

P1080066.jpg

P1080067.jpg

The ladder would certainly be nice...hmmm wonder who can be persuaded to do ithat....

One thing though..what colour were athe FAB 250's?, most pics including those in your post show sort of medium grey though I've seen them, dark grey and even very dark green!, just wondered if you knew..

Thanks again,

Andy..

Thanks Av8 , I appreciate the welcome...thought it was about time with the amount of Soviet heavy metal I've been building lately...... :D

I apologise if I seem to be taking over the thread but I have rather a lot of piccies of this build........... PLEASE tell me if it's too much!!,

The weapons pack...six KH-15's plus rotary launcher and associated plumbing...

The decals for the missiles come from the excellent Authentic decals sheet..all five million of them!! :worship:

P1070893-1.jpg

P1070899-1.jpg

P1070900-1.jpg

The rear housing looks a bit skew wiff here because it's only been pushed into place for the photo (badly).......hey the thing even turns!!,

P1070903-1.jpg

Edited by General Melchett

Excellent work, General! :woot.gif: I like your fixes.

I share your views on the landing gears and will correct the problems you mentioned - when I start building mine. Unfortunately that's not the only thing that needs to be fixed as you too have noticed. Great kit, but could have been even greater with just a little more effort.

I'm also waiting for some AM stuff before I start. Hopefully we'll see some PE sets as soon as possible.

Thanks chaps, really appreciate that.......Ken, hopefully it'll be featured in Model Aviation World, the new mag by my pal Spencer Pollard and the same team that does Military In Scale..

Thanks Janman, yes I agree it could have been truly great, but then what would that leave us persistent fiddlers to do? :) . I've got another M3 in the stash ready for all the AM stuff myself, just want to see what can be done with it at this stage.

Firecaptain, cheers, will have some more to post over the coming days....

Thanks once again, :)

Andy...

Right some more work on this one today , the FAB 250's and MER racks done and will be fitted at the end of the build,

P1080076.jpg

P1080073-1.jpg

The cockpit was is one of the obvious areas that needs correctional work as Trumpeter have decided to steer clear of reality and make the canopy squared off at the base whereas it should be cut at a 40 degree angle and be rounded at the front more. The easiest way of doing this would be masking the clear plastic and over spraying the area but I didn't think that would look too great so using Plasticard I built up the area and then carefully sanded the canopy to shape, (a new line of rivets will be added along the top of the card). The transparency has been dipped in Klear and tinted gold/blue using Humbrol Cellulose varnish...

The windshield is just pushed into place here as there is some internal detail to be fitted to the screen before final fitting...

P1080070.jpg

P1080071.jpg

Most of the airframe has been assembled and glued..This took a lot longer than normal as I wanted to retain all the surface detail so it was one tiny bit at a time using Mr Hobby liquid putty and fine grade sanding sticks and Micro mesh to preserve it all....

This area is probably the toughest to get right and just needs final sanding with Micro mesh followed by priming...

P1080072-1.jpg

This is the next headache...a lot more complex than the Trumpeter parts so it's out with the plasticard and rod....

tu_22m3_030.jpg

Some more detail tonight....grey/green anti flash curtains, above and below.. very prominent on the real thing.

P1080079.jpg

P1080080.jpg

Now I'm going to have to put one of these on the wish list. Outstanding work guys!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

Ken, is there a copy of Playboy in all of your builds? I think it's really cool BTW. Saw one in the Tu-22M2 and I think your Mi-26. :nanner:

John

Some more work done on this one, masking followed by pre shading ..These machines got pretty grubby in service as it seems the Soviets weren't too fussy about nice shiny aeroplanes as long as they worked!, unless of course there was a parade, airshow or general inspection taking place..

Hopefully have the top coat on this week, ....

P1080081.jpg

P1080084.jpg

P1080085.jpg

P1080087.jpg

Great work General. I like that you used grey instead of pure black to preshade. I am also supriced how good cockpit looks OOB. You did a good job correcting the canopy on the side, but sadly the windsheild is still overall innaccurate. As you see by these pictures, the front line of the windsheild should be straight:

poltava2009089.jpg

I don't say this to mock your work, just pointing out. :jaw-dropping: (which you have probably seen already tho). I look forward to more pictures. :P

Thanks Berkut, no problem :thumbsup: , you are quite right and that picture is about the best one I've seen of the area!!...I'm still in the process of fixing the windshield so maybe all is not lost!!......it also shows the heavy tinting of the screen, something I've tried to do using Humbrol clear dark gold tint..

OK guys, I am off to Ukraine at the end of May to see the family for a couple of weeks. I ask if anyone requires photos of areas that they do not have please post below of exactly what you require and I will try to accomadate all requests.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...