F-14A Tomcat - VF-84 "Jolly Rogers"

Thank you very much for the comments, I appreciate it!! -_-

WOW... Nice TOMCAT Dude.... but the nose cone is not all white men... check this pic, maybe you can rePaint that...

http://www.almansur.com/jollyrogers/f14a78romano.jpg

:whistle:

Or you have another pic with the withe cone?

Greetings...

Regarding the nose, I went by the SuperScale decal sheet for the paint scheme so right or wrong, it will remain the way it is but I appreciate you including a photo link Manuel. I have tried to locate a photo of the exact jet that the decals represent but have not come up with one. Unless visual proof surfaces, I can only assume that the decal sheet is correct......we all know that these after-market decal sheets are always 100% accurate :lol:

In the end, I was just glad to finish this kit. I was getting tired of it taunting me every time I sat down at my workbench.

Just whizzed through all the pictures on your build thread...the one with all those red-edged gear doors laying around makes me kinda homesick for another F-14 build! Anyway, your attention to detail has really paid off.

Excellent job.

John

____

Oh and you might like this. If you sit through a few boot-up "hiccups" in the very beginning (during the cat shot) the rest is smooth. Go to full screen, crank the volume a little, and enjoy:

I found this pic for you....

Damn.....can't argue with that....... Thanks for posting the pic Manuel, without the photo I could have lived with the uncertainty of the paint scheme but now....damn. Painting the nose will not be difficult, I'll probably spend more time thinking about it than actually doing it. Live and learn :cheers:

Just whizzed through all the pictures on your build thread...the one with all those red-edged gear doors laying around makes me kinda homesick for another F-14 build! Anyway, your attention to detail has really paid off.

Excellent job.

John

____

Oh and you might like this. If you sit through a few boot-up "hiccups" in the very beginning (during the cat shot) the rest is smooth. Go to full screen, crank the volume a little, and enjoy:

Thanks John, my attention to detail seems to need some tweaking but I appreciate your comments very much. I especially liked the video!! Ironically, just after the 1 minute mark is a color profile of this plane with the correct paint scheme and at about the 5 minute mark is color footage of the real plane, same paint scheme. I'm a day late and a dollar short but that's ok, I'm in it for the long haul :D

Nice build. :)

But the nose shape of the Academy Tomcat always bothers me. It just doesnt look right. Not your fault, of course. ;)

Thanks ST21. You're right about the nose, I've seen the comparisons online between this kit and the Hasegawa but when I started building this 5 years ago, I didn't care, I just wanted a Tomcat on the shelf and I honestly knew very little about F-14's when I started and not a whole lot more now (as if you couldn't tell...lol).

Its awesome. excellent paint work.

Thanks so much TaiidanTomcat!

Based on the photo Manuel supplied, I will most likely correct my Tomcat over the weekend (even though I really really don't want to :crying2:) and will post the outcome.

It's all good.

I think it's a beautiful job you did there. The paint schemes on those aircraft can bite you pretty quick though. Not very consistent all the time. Oh well.

Good luck on the rework, though. Seems like you signature says it all about you, huh? "I'd rather be historically accurate than politically correct."

Again, great job!

I love it! My son will too as he is a big fan of the Jolly Rogers and the Final Countdown movie. I am currently working slowly on the Santa Cat using the 1/48 Hasegawa Pacific Fleet F14 and converting it to the A+/B with an Eduard P/E set and Steel Beach intake covers. Need to get myself some new exhausts to complete the conversion. Did you have any issues with the kit? I am finding the shape/fit of the cockpit to fuselage an issue as well as the nose cone to cockpit being a poor fit.

Regards

Andrew :yahoo:

Regardless of the nose. it's a great looking build, Brian ! :thumbsup:

Gotta love the Early Jolly Rogers Tomcats ...

Gregg

Thank you very much Gregg! I love the hi-vis schemes but the low-vis ones are beginning to grow on me....more choices for future builds!

I think it's a beautiful job you did there. The paint schemes on those aircraft can bite you pretty quick though. Not very consistent all the time. Oh well.

Good luck on the rework, though. Seems like you signature says it all about you, huh? "I'd rather be historically accurate than politically correct."

Again, great job!

Thanks IrishGreek.....I'm still learning about F-14's and modern jets in general. Growing up I favored WWII aircraft but since building a F-4 Phantom II before starting this Tomcat, I've been amassing reference material and learning as I go.

Nice looking Jolly Roger. Nice panel lines and overall clean build gets a big :unsure:

Thanks Aggressor Supporter! I was torn about how to weather this Tomcat and decided to go with clean, otherwise I'd probably still be wrestling with getting the right look.

I love it! My son will too as he is a big fan of the Jolly Rogers and the Final Countdown movie. I am currently working slowly on the Santa Cat using the 1/48 Hasegawa Pacific Fleet F14 and converting it to the A+/B with an Eduard P/E set and Steel Beach intake covers. Need to get myself some new exhausts to complete the conversion. Did you have any issues with the kit? I am finding the shape/fit of the cockpit to fuselage an issue as well as the nose cone to cockpit being a poor fit.

Regards

Andrew :cop:

Thanks Andrew, I appreciate it! The Academy kit has inherent issues, such as the "step" created around the cockpit when the upper and lower halves are matched up and the shape of the nose is inaccurate straight out of the box. There is a link to my build post at the top of this thread, any other issues I ran into will be detailed there. As for the Final Countdown, great movie, I saw it twice in the theater when it was first released.

UPDATE: I masked off and painted the nose. I let it sit for a day, rubbed it down with 12000 grit pads and then sprayed semi-gloss. There is a slight difference in the color, most likely panel washes caused the darkening so I might give that a try but not immediately. I am going to put this away for awhile, work on something else and revisit it later. Here are a couple of pics:

F14Tomcat_nose_painted_profile.jpg

F14Tomcat_closeup_nose_painted_04.jpg

F14Tomcat_closeup_nose_painted_03.jpg

As always, thanks for taking time to check it out.

nice work, seamless job on the nose. Fine model and thanks for sharing it with us!

PS I didn't even notice the "Academy nose" its such a gorgeous finish.

PPS Looked cool with the white nose too!

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
nice work, seamless job on the nose. Fine model and thanks for sharing it with us!

PS I didn't even notice the "Academy nose" its such a gorgeous finish.

PPS Looked cool with the white nose too!

Thanks TaiidanTomcat. White did look cool but the gray isn't so bad, at least it's correct now.

I too thought it looked kinda cool with the white nose but this looks better.

It looks longer and sleeker like this too.

John

I agree, it does 'lengthen' the look and helps disguise the inaccurate shape of the nose.

Nice update men... :P

Greetings...

Thanks Manuel and also thanks for pointing out the paint error and then supplying a photo. I should have posted a question about the paint scheme shown on the SuperScale decal sheet, I have no idea why I didn't.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...