Greetings!

This clip shows Voyager in the Badlands with an unfamiliar face on the bridge. Genevieve Bujold, the original actress cast as Janeway, apparently lost her taste for franchise acting during the first day of shooting.

I doubt if she could have survived the Borg, anyway!

I never knew that. I'm only a partial Trek fan. I enjoyed the original a bit - and watched TNG. But I could never get into 'Deep Space 9' or 'Voyager' (the wife watched both of them all the time). DS9 was a bit too 'soap' like for me - and although I could care less either way about a female in charge of a Trek starship, Kate Mulgrew (as Janeway) totally didn't do it for me. Every time I saw her, I felt she was more suited to be mother hen at a convent or something. I've enjoyed all the movies to date - with my favorite being the last one for sure.

I watched the entire series several times and grew to kind of like parts of it sometimes, on occasion. :)

I agree with the commentators of that video. They made the right choice in replacing her, or her quitting. Just totally wrong for that part. While Kate Mulgrew could be grating, at least she had an energy and command presence, especially after she got rid of that granny hairdo that Janeway originally sported.

Edited by JasonB

That jogged my memory a bit. I do remember hearing about the change.

I loved all the series for the most part except for enterprise which I never started to watch. TNG was my favorite, fllowed by DS9 and voyager. Didn't watch too much of the last season of DS9 though. Even missed the first season or so of TNG as I was not into trek that much at the time. My wife loves TNG but not any of the others.

I read a comment by someone who worked on the show, and they said something like, "At one point she (Genevieve Bujold) stormed off the set, and no one went chasing after her." I think he was trying to indicate it was a mutual dislike between her and the rest of the cast and crew.

DS9 started off weak, I thought, but the last couple of seasons that included the Dominion war were pretty good. I also thought it wrapped things up at the end better than the other series' endings.

Kate Mulgrew (as Janeway) totally didn't do it for me. Every time I saw her, I felt she was more suited to be mother hen at a convent or something.

Actually, that was an important part of the character, with her taking care of a crew during difficult times. But if you watched the series, you would also notice that the character was prone to obsession. It was an interesting flaw. Both Picard and Kirk were examples of the pinnacle of humanity (which I guess you had to be to be in their position), but while it made them heroic, it also made them a little predictable.

I've enjoyed all the movies to date - with my favorite being the last one for sure.

I hated the latest movie. I'd rather watch "Spock's Brain" or Voyager's "Threshold" or the first season of TNG. You know, if someone put a gun to my head and forced me to chose.

And to bring this back to modeling, Revell is supposed to re-release the Voyager model this year. Which is good because I made a hash out of my first try.

Actually, that was an important part of the character, with her taking care of a crew during difficult times. But if you watched the series, you would also notice that the character was prone to obsession. It was an interesting flaw. Both Picard and Kirk were examples of the pinnacle of humanity (which I guess you had to be to be in their position), but while it made them heroic, it also made them a little predictable.

I hated the latest movie. I'd rather watch "Spock's Brain" or Voyager's "Threshold" or the first season of TNG. You know, if someone put a gun to my head and forced me to chose.

And to bring this back to modeling, Revell is supposed to re-release the Voyager model this year. Which is good because I made a hash out of my first try.

Yeah, I dunno - Mulgrew just doesn't hit the bases with me. Anytime I ever sat down while the wife was watching Voyager, I just couldn't get past her.

You hated the Star Trek movie??? Wow....I thought it was truely amazing. I don't consider myself a hard-core Treker by any stretch, and I really don't get hung up on movies too much. I like to let movies simply entertain me, and rarely do they ever rub me the wrong way. Unless it's a screwy type movie where you have to imagine more than what they're showing. I go to movies to 'park' my brain.

Thanks for posting that. I have always been a major Bujold fan- never saw any footage from the first attempt at the pilot until this. I'll take her any day over

Mulgrew and her obnoxious voice/mannerisms. However, Bujold couldn't compel me to watch STV much- it just "isn't Trek".

Many best wishes to all for 2010 "...the year we make contact". [barf]

BP

Greetings!

This clip shows Voyager in the Badlands with an unfamiliar face on the bridge. Genevieve Bujold, the original actress cast as Janeway, apparently lost her taste for franchise acting during the first day of shooting.

I doubt if she could have survived the Borg, anyway!

You hated the Star Trek movie??? Wow....I thought it was truely amazing. I don't consider myself a hard-core Treker by any stretch, and I really don't get hung up on movies too much. I like to let movies simply entertain me, and rarely do they ever rub me the wrong way. Unless it's a screwy type movie where you have to imagine more than what they're showing. I go to movies to 'park' my brain.

I'ts probably because I am a hard-core Treker. The movie wasn't Star Trek, it was Star Wars with characters named after Star Trek characters.

I didn't mind Voyager as a series to much, I just didn't like how they wrapped it up so quickly ...

I would have rather them have done at least one more episode with the crew all adjusting to being home again ...

Gregg

I'ts probably because I am a hard-core Treker. The movie wasn't Star Trek, it was Star Wars with characters named after Star Trek characters.

I see. Oh well, I saw it completely different - but I guess that's how these things work. I was very entertained.

I always called her 6 of 9 for some reason. ;)

RoG is indeed repopping the 4 ships this year, but don't know which Voyager they are doing. Be nice if they slipped the fixed version in...

Edited by MarkW

I Love all star trek. Unfortunatly something my Dad has pased onto me. Taking me to convensions as a kid and getting cable just for sci-fi channel then sky1 when it started showing all the star treks and sg1.

I loved the most recent film. Even more than the wrath of khan!

My dad whent to see it in surrey and he said at the end of it the whole cinema stood up and applauded saying "star treks" back.

Other than Avatar. I havnt heard of that happening recently.

I dont aggree that it is star wars with star trek charactors though. I dont know. We will se what happens in the next 2.

David

Eh, I'm one too - life long, got dozens of the novels, seen every episode at least once (except for a handful of "Voyager"...), own several of the movies...I loved the recent reboot. It wasn't the Star Trek we were used to, but hey. If it doesn't evolve and change, it'll be time to put the last nail in the coffin. Or torpedo casing, whichever the case may be.

As for Ms Bujold...yeah, she clearly wasn't comfortable with the role and wasn't sure how to approach the subject matter.

I liked the first 2/3rds or so of the new Trek, but strictly for story structure reasons, I felt the end of it fell apart. Most of it has to due with the end, so I won't detail it here to avoid spoilers.

One thing I think is a bit odd is that they used the original characters, but then threw in an event to allow them to change everything. It just feels like a marketing ploy more than a story-driven idea (let's revamp it for the youngsters, but keep the old characters so we can cash in on the older Trek fans too).

prone to obsession? Talk about understatement, Janeway was a pathological, homicidal, sociopathic martinet bent on ruling her crew with an iron fist... christ I hated just about everything about that show, the best thing about it is that it eventually ended

I am right with you on that, at least those episodes could be watchd for their pure camp and goofiness, the 'they're so bad its funny' factor... the new movie was not Trek to me, it was a generic sci fi flick with unfamiliar characters who happen to share the same names as our heroes

I had the chance a few years back to watch all of the Ms Bujold footage (this is a small bit) and she was really in pain between takes. There is one bit where after a take the camera focuses on her in the Captain's chair and she has her eyes closed seemingly like she was at the dentist's office. It was not pretty. There was one take where she was almost getting it, but it never did quite gell. I've seen her in other things and indeed she is a great actress, but not everyone is cut out for TV work, especially in SF TV.

The footage I saw also had the production team having to literally film around the scenes with Janeway as the production team regrouped and recasted. So they had to do other things to keep the production schedule flowing. One of the scenes filmed was between Quark, Kim and Paris in Quark's bar on DS9. It was interesting watching the takes they did from the different angles. The funniest bit though was after Kim closes the lid on a container of jewelry that Quark was trying to sell him, both he and Paris walk off and the camera focuses on Quark's dejected face. Both the other actors walk off and Paris says the line "Didn't they warn you about Ferengi at the Academy" to which Armin Shimerman as Quark gets a goofy look on his face and says right to the camera "&^%$ you!" and smiles. It was the funniest Trek moment I had ever seen.

My wife also loves Voyager, and TNG, but hates the rest of them. I think Voyager had way too many time travel episodes. I guess I just can't reconcile the paradox associated with altering the past. That's the same problem I have with the new Star Trek movie.

Back to models, when you guys say that RoG will re-pop the four Voyager kits, are they different from the ones that are widely available now? The Kazon and Marquis ships are selling at relatively low price on ebay. The Voyager itself is harder to find, but can be found in the European on-line sites. I am thinking of buying a couple of them for my wife from Europe. Should I wait for them to show up in the US?

My wife also loves Voyager, and TNG, but hates the rest of them. I think Voyager had way too many time travel episodes. I guess I just can't reconcile the paradox associated with altering the past. That's the same problem I have with the new Star Trek movie.

Back to models, when you guys say that RoG will re-pop the four Voyager kits, are they different from the ones that are widely available now? The Kazon and Marquis ships are selling at relatively low price on ebay. The Voyager itself is harder to find, but can be found in the European on-line sites. I am thinking of buying a couple of them for my wife from Europe. Should I wait for them to show up in the US?

Voyager, the maquis ship and the Kazon cruiser were rereleased by RoG in November and can be found in the starship modeller store, but voyager is presently sold out. I am not certain how or if they are different from previous releases, but I would imagine Voyager is based on the second edition which included a clear part for the main deflector

Voyager

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/newshop/ind...Product_ID=1612

Maquis fighter

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/newshop/ind...Product_ID=1630

Kazon cruiser

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/newshop/ind...Product_ID=1629

PS I loathe voyager... just for the record

Edited by Face