Hey guys. I'll join the fun. My first entry will be from Hasegawa. This will be a warm up. I have two Tamiya's waiting in the wings.

Here is the box. I haven't decided on markings yet.

IMG_3358.jpg

I washed everything and as usual with these Hasegawa jugs, the cowling had some sinkage. Mr hobby to the rescue.

IMG_3359.jpg

I'm happy to report that this particular boxing doesn't have the horrible gap in the forward lower fuselage.

IMG_3360.jpg

Here is a frontal shot.

IMG_3362.jpg

The wings are not glued to the fuselage but the fuselage halves are and so are the upper to lower wings. I'll let this dry completely to avoid reappearing join lines. I'll work on painting the cockpit and misc stuff in the mean time.

Painted and weathered the engine.

IMG_3370.jpg

I also finished up the cockpit except for the seatbelts. This one will be closed cockpit so I didn't get too crazy. The IP was left pretty basic as you can see.

IMG_3378.jpg

The wheel wells were painted and weathered.

IMG_3381.jpg

I have a duplicate of this decal sheet if anyone wants to trade.

IMG_3368.jpg

Lenny I fired off a PM. I had bought these a while back and had a change of heart about P-47D markings when this group build started. I'm interested in swapping -47 markings (of course, I'll be interested in anything if you don't have Jug decals)

Aaron

Hey guys.

Aaron, those markings aren't very inspiring to me so I'll pass on those.

I have lots of P-47 decals so I would prefer a trade for some other WWII subjects in 1/48.

Let me know!

If you have anything for a Mosquito, Beaufighter, Uhu, Me-262, DO-335 I'd really be interested!

I have tons of 109, 190, P-51 decals so I'm not in the hunt for any of those.

Thanks for looking!

Not much in the way of "cool" going on. Just joining things trying to be methodical. I joined small sections of the wing assy to the fuselage at a time to try and obtain the best fit possible. Some filling was required. After the underside glue had dried. I used tamiya tape to set the dihedral and run liquid cement. I let it dry over night.

IMG_3390.jpg

I used Mr Hobby tube putty. Wow, the camera really brings out sanding marks. I thought I had done a good job. Maybe some mr surfacer is in order?

IMG_3395.jpg

IMG_3396.jpg

This is pretty annoying. The little dorcel fin is not even an insert. It is two pieces of plastic with one end sandwiching the tail. Tamiya is way better. Just the front end is glued. I thinned the fin a bit but all that did was make the gap bigger. Hopefully clamping will obtain a reasonable fit.

IMG_3400.jpg

Hey Aaron. No it has slowed me down. I'm at the point where I need to hit it with some Mr Surfacer, check panel lines, rince and repeat. Not too much fun. I kinda wished I had instead pulled out one of my Tamiya jugs instead.

Got a preliminary coat of my surfacer on to check seems and such. I used Mr Surfacer 1200 thinned with mr color leveling thinner. I thin it down quite a bit. Using it this thin results in a very smooth surface but at the cost of light coverage. This is not all that bad considering you don't want to obliterate surface detail.

IMG_3422.jpg

Need to fix this.

IMG_3424.jpg

Damn finger print! You can also see that I need to touch up the join mark and do a little rescribe.

IMG_3426.jpg

Thanks Rocat.

Well I finally got a chance to spend some time on my model. I had to help the fiance move last weekend.

I sprayed alclad aluminum over a buffed Mr Surfacer 1200. It looked really patchy and not good at all. Normally I like to spray alclad over gloss black but I didn;t have any decanted and was feeling lazy.

So with 8000 micromesh and some water I began to buff the surface and resprayed the alclad. The results were much better although still not perfect. I have duraluminum in the stash so I will pick off a few panels later this week.

IMG_3467.jpg

IMG_3468.jpg

I also sprayed the tail and the cowling.

IMG_3470.jpg

I have to let the tail dry a couple of days. I used Tamiya Orange (gloss). The cowling was Tamiya flat white. When thinned well, it will spray on almost a satin type finish. I still have to spray the front part of the cowling, red.

Looking fine Isaac. Like the idea of the tape to prevent scratches. Here's an idea I use . I got a 1" thick styrene piece and cut a little cradle into it where the plane sits in, works well while it's at rest. During construction or decalling I have another (large) piece from a computer screen box. The gap in the middle is perfect for the aicraft to sit in with wings and tailplanes resting on the edges. Works great and prevents possible damage during rest or transport.

Looking fine Isaac. Like the idea of the tape to prevent scratches. Here's an idea I use . I got a 1" thick styrene piece and cut a little cradle into it where the plane sits in, works well while it's at rest. During construction or decalling I have another (large) piece from a computer screen box. The gap in the middle is perfect for the aicraft to sit in with wings and tailplanes resting on the edges. Works great and prevents possible damage during rest or transport.

Good suggestion. Did you mean Styrofoam or styrene? I can't imagine a one inch thick piece of styrene!

Good suggestion. Did you mean Styrofoam or styrene? I can't imagine a one inch thick piece of styrene!

Yea Polystyrene/ styrofoam type stuff. The cradle's working great, the 1/72 P-51D I've got silvered now is beaut and is being protected nicely :wierdo:

Edited by tempestwulf
Wow learn something new every day. I didn't know styrofoam is "expanded polystyrene". I was thinking of a 1" thick styrene sheet! lol

I think it it :whistle: I'm from New Zealand so can be a slight misunderstanding in regards to names. Hence forth Future floor polish is call Klear in NZ/Aus but it's still the good ole Johnsons brand. But I do recommend the polystyrene cradle, my Mustang is snugly cushioned and snoozing in cabinet while I'm at work. If only I could skip off to finish it but alas, we must contribute to society. :woot.gif:

Made a little progress. A painted a few panels duraluminum which was darker than I expected. The red trim around the nose has also been painted. This weekend I'll have to spray the blue trim but first, I have to give the canopy a bath in future.

IMG_3472.jpg

I also painted the landing gear and various parts aluminum.

The prop is a left over from a previous Tamiya build. :pray: