1/48th Has VMA-311 A-4E

Just got started, will post pics soon. Mostly OOB with a True Detail seat. Planning on centerline tank, 8 Mk 82 snakeyes, and Napalm on the outside. Something like this.

Thinking about scratching some JATO bottles, but hoping to find some pics/refs. I have some decent pics from Ginter's book, but I was hoping for dimensions, even general ones. Does anyone know the specific model that was used on A-4s?

Will post pics later.

mason

Edited by doupnik
Mason,

For any info on Scooters.....I would recommend checking out skyhawks.org.

That site has just about any data you could ever need regarding the A-4

Paul,

Thanks, I was looking at that site just now. Lots of good stuff, but I'm having some problems finding specific JATO info. I'll keep looking.

mason

According to this LA Times article, a JATO rocket used on a A-4M is 54 inches long and 9 inches wide. It's probably the same thing - maybe someone more knowledgeable can confirm or correct this assumption.

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-06-23/loc...arine-officials

Wow, I had no idea they were used on A-4M's.

You may also want to look at this page:

http://www.footnote.com/image/103303613/

It's a decent image of a JATO being attached to an A-4E.

According to this LA Times article, a JATO rocket used on a A-4M is 54 inches long and 9 inches wide. It's probably the same thing - maybe someone more knowledgeable can confirm or correct this assumption.

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-06-23/loc...arine-officials

Wow, I had no idea they were used on A-4M's.

You may also want to look at this page:

http://www.footnote.com/image/103303613/

It's a decent image of a JATO being attached to an A-4E.

That will be helpful, thank you.

Sorry Mason....I misread your first post!

Actually, I added the pic about the same time you posted the link. Skyhawk.org has lots of good stuff.

I'm looking forward to it Mason, especially the JATO bottles...But where are the pic's dude?

:woot.gif:

Mark

Our main computer died, so I am doing what I can with our laptop. :bandhead2: So it may take a bit to get some pics up.

mason

• 2 weeks later...
I'm looking forward to it Mason, especially the JATO bottles...But where are the pic's dude?

:coolio:

Mark

Here's proof that I am building... :cheers: The cockpit is slightly out of position, but I'll live with it.

IMG_0160.jpg

What's this? Mason and a pointy thing? WOW!!!!

Semper Fi

Dan

I have as many pointy things in the display case as whirlybirds. :jaw-dropping: Some of them aren't even USMC birds... the sacrilege. :taunt:

BTW, I was planning on using the TD nape canisters, but with all of the controversy about their scale I may end up scratching them. Haven't gotten to the point of researching the scale etc, but outside of the Ginter books, does anyone have good drawings of them? Would the Has Weapon set canisters be a starting point?

thanks for looking.

mason

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good Mason!...Let's see if you can make it through this build without knocking off one of those fragile arms for the leading edge slats... :whistle:

Mark

Some of them aren't even USMC birds... the sacrilege. :rofl:

:worship: ...I'm not talking to you anymore.

Here's proof that I am building... :rofl: The cockpit is slightly out of position, but I'll live with it.

IMG_0160.jpg

I have as many pointy things in the display case as whirlybirds. :whistle: Some of them aren't even USMC birds... the sacrilege. :taunt:

BTW, I was planning on using the TD nape canisters, but with all of the controversy about their scale I may end up scratching them. Haven't gotten to the point of researching the scale etc, but outside of the Ginter books, does anyone have good drawings of them? Would the Has Weapon set canisters be a starting point?

thanks for looking.

mason

Dude........After all these years I thought i knew you! You're dead to me Mason!! :worship:

Semper Fi

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
Looking good Mason!...Let's see if you can make it through this build without knocking off one of those fragile arms for the leading edge slats...

I've been working on one of them, already reinforced it three times. <_<

Dude........After all these years I thought i knew you! You're dead to me Mason!!

Semper Fi

Dan

<_< ...I'm not talking to you anymore.

C'mon, you know you guys want to hang a GBU-27 off of something. :D

Knock Knock!...Anybody home?... :wave:

Are you building anything in here?

So if you do decide to scratch those nape canisters you should cast some extras.. :whistle:

OK, finally got some work going. I have a good start on the JATO bottles. Just need to finish the supports near the nozzles, the squares that look out of place in back. I am cracking the speed brakes, as both of the good pics I have of A-4s with JATOs attached had them cracked.

IMG_0165.jpg

I mat not go the Nape route, the Has canisters seem pretty far off. I was going through one of my bomb boxes and found a handful of what looks like Mk81 snake eyes that Dan sent me. So I am leaning towards 4 each Mk82 snakes on 2/4 and 1 each Mk81 snakes on 1/5 and a tank on 3 if I have the stations right.

IMG_0163.jpg

Thanks for looking,

mason

I've been working on one of them, already reinforced it three times. <_<

On my next Scooter build I'm considering cutting them off at the beginning and reattaching them when I'm ready to attach the leading edge slats.

I have a good start on the JATO bottles.

Sweet!...I'll say your off to a good start... Those look fantastic!

I mat not go the Nape route, the Has canisters seem pretty far off. I was going through one of my bomb boxes and found a handful of what looks like Mk81 snake eyes that Dan sent me. So I am leaning towards 4 each Mk82 snakes on 2/4 and 1 each Mk81 snakes on 1/5 and a tank on 3 if I have the stations right.

So, instead if 'Snakes and Nape' it's now 'Snakes and... more Snakes'?

Either way this is going to to be one mean looking Scooter, especially with those JATO bottles.

:cheers:

Mark

C'mon, you know you guys want to hang a GBU-27 off of something. :cheers:

What's a GBU-27?... :whistle: