VA-86 Sidewinder A-7E Corsair II

I was speaking with my father in law over Christmas and found out he was an ordy working with VA-86 in the 80's. I am thinking about making him a kit depicting the aircraft he worked on.

Any suggestions as to which kit to purchase and where I can locate decals for the aircraft shown below.

VA-86 Sidewinders A-7E Corsair II, side #AJ 402 from the Nimitz

va86-a-7.jpg

Thanks for all the help & Arigato-Jason

Scale..?

The best kits are the Hasegawa in 1/48th (also reboxed by RoG), in Gentlemen's Scale the 1/72nd Fujimi kit gets my nod, with the Esci (reboxed by Italeri) as runner up. The only choice in 1/32nd is Trumpeter, but this has several shape issues.

Decalwise, in my preferred scale hi-viz Sidewinder markings are included on Superscale 72-082; others may have more 1/48th and 1/32nd knowledge.

HTH,

Andre

Andre & Paul thanks for your fast replies.

I think I will model this as the Cags Double nuts bird if I can find the decals from the Nimitz.

I am hopeing to get this kit in 1/48th. I do not enjoy the divine scale for adding extra detail too.

If anyone else has any thoughts please I am all ears.

Cheers & Kanichiwa-Jason

Edited by USMC Herc
Herc,

What years was he in VA-86?

I was in VA-82 (86's sister sqaudron) from 84 to 87.

Reddog

If I remember correctly after all these hours of jet lag and time changes :P ,

He served abourd the Nimitz from around 82-86. I hope I am correct on these dates. He said he went on the med cruise with the gunslinger.

Cheers-Jason

The Gunslingers where VA-105, he may have meant the Sidewinders. They did a Med cruise in 82/82 and again in 85.

If you want you can PM me his name, I will check to see if he is in the 85 Med Cruise.

IIRC Dutycat made the 82/83 Med Cruise.

Reddog

IIRC Dutycat made the 82/83 Med Cruise.

Reddog

Herc, I did the 83, 87, and 89 cruise. I missed the 85 cruise. Unfortunately, I didn't take a lot of pics of A-7's. I have a few pics of low viz birds as that was the "new thing" back then. However, that scheme you are interested in is very famous. Should be easy to find pics and references.

I recommend the Hasegawa kit,I´ve got it and want to do it with this scheme too!! Don´t thread on me :bandhead2:

With a resin seat and some phto-etched parts if you want,can be enough to build a fantastic kit.

Very nice detail,I´m sure you´r father will be proud of it.

And one more thing,PICS required,ok?? :banana:

I.Martin

I would guess that your picture was taken during the 83 Med Cruise -- looks like Mount Etna. By the 85 cruise, most of the aircrat except the CAG birds were in Low-vis. For the 87 cruise, even the CAG birds were in TPS.

Even the CAG birds where low-vis, I was on the 85 and 87 Med Cruises (VA-82).

Reddog

Even the CAG birds where low-vis, I was on the 85 and 87 Med Cruises (VA-82).

Reddog

I bet you remember Richard 'Gunner' Green? (VA-82 ordie) He was a neighbor of mine while I was in high school... really nice guy with a TON of cool NAVAIR souvenirs... He even had the talihook from an A-4 hanging from the ceiling in his garage...

Edited by Scot M
I bet you remember Richard 'Gunner' Green? (VA-82 ordie) He was a neighbor of mine while I was in high school... really nice guy with a TON of cool NAVAIR souvenirs... He even had the talihook from an A-4 hanging from the ceiling in his garage...

He was my Gunner for the 85 Med Cruise. Not sure about the nice part, he may have been nice on land but on the boat, he was not like by the Ordnance Shop.

Reddog

Hey Jason...

I worked on a 1:48 'gawa A-7E with build walkthrough photos that my help you during the process. You will note I did not use any resin parts but a little bit of extra effort from the old parts bin will yield a great result... trust me :-) The finished model was in the Oct '09 issue of FSM (If memory serves)... here's the build for your reference:

Progress photos:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....8&hl=lgl007

Final photos:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....7&hl=lgl007

Oh, and Reddog helped me tremendously during this build. Thanks RED!!!

-Greg