Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire

Hey all,

This is where I am for up till now. It's ready to receive a coat of future so I can put on the small decals. All markings have been painted on using home made masks (350 (Belgian) squadron). Being a first for me I'm quit happy with the outcome. Although the red and blue are on the dark side. I thought the shades where correct, but after painting it turned out on the dark side. The force wasn't with me on this one. Ah well, live and learn. It doesn't really bother me, so I'm not going to correct it.

The motor has been assembled but I still have to put on the whirring. Still looking for some Good reference pics on this, so if any of you have some pics floating around it will be much appreciated.

Greetings from Belgium

spit_2.jpg

spit_3.jpg

spit_4.jpg

spit_5.jpg

spit_7.jpg

spit_8.jpg

spit_9.jpg

spit_10.jpg

spit_11.jpg

Edited by DenJuve
can you give us some informations on how you proceed?

Preshade? postshade?

I combined the two. I first preshaded with black, did the camo and than some postshading on the panels using a lighter color.

And GREAT JOB with the painted on markings, I always think that looks so much better. How'd you do the numbers?

I made a linedrawing in illustrator, printed it out, taped it on friskit and cut the numbers out using a tamiya design knife. As you can see it worked pretty well.

And thx for the link :thumbsup:

Hopes this helps,

Eric

Looking GREAT Eric!

This link may help you with your engine request:

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/spitfir...closeupjl_1.htm

And GREAT JOB with the painted on markings, I always think that looks so much better. How'd you do the numbers?

Damn! I wish I had that photo before I did mine engine!!!!!

Thx, your comments keep me motivated. Something most of the time I have a problem with.

Your build looks most unusual at this point with the whole engine assembly missing. I like it.

The instructions tell you to do it this way. Normally I don't really follow instructions. But on this one it seemed easier to do it like this. Especially for the painting, and this way I have more time build the engine.

The red and blue look good to me... what colors did you use?

The red is X-7 and the blue is X-3, both darkened with black XF-1.

I made some more progress. Put on the decals (stenciling), than a gloss coat, treated it with a wash of raw umber oils thinned with white spirit (that's what it's called in Belgium) and sealed everything up with a flat coat of a acryl household varnish.

spit_12.jpg

The household varnish, just so you know what I mean.

vernis-levis.jpg

spit_13.jpg

spit_14.jpg

I tried to use the decals for the gun port covers. But they cracked, hate Tamiya decals, so I cut some Tamiya tape in the right shape, painted it the same red as the roundels and just put them one before the last gloss coat. I think they turned out better then the decals.

spit_16.jpg

spit_17.jpg

Of course I painted the cowling's together with the rest of the model. As you can see the fit is incredible. Just taped them together with tape.

spit_18.jpg

spit_19.jpg

And I got busy with the engine. Just put on a black coat to see how it looked. Now I'm in the process of putting some wiring on it.

spit_20.jpg

spit_21.jpg

Thx for looking, suggestions and comments are more than welcome,

Eric

Ow man, this build is looking awesome!

Very nice work! :thumbsup:

Off topic:

And another Belgian Battlestar Galactica-fan, cool! Nowbody in Belgium seems to know that serie, but I like it very much!

And from, Zonhoven! I'm from Glabbeek, and go to school at the uHasselt in Diepenbeek!

Edited by Flyingraptor

Thx all :lol:

Off topic:

And another Belgian Battlestar Galactica-fan, cool! Nowbody in Belgium seems to know that serie, but I like it very much!

And from, Zonhoven! I'm from Glabbeek, and go to school at the uHasselt in Diepenbeek!

Sorry guys, this one is going to be answered in dutch. :)

Je zou er van verschieten hoeveel BG fans er zijn in vlaanderen. In ieder geval wij twee toch al :thumbsup: . Nog druk bezig met de studies, die tijd is al lang voorbij voor mij, alhoewel ik momenteel weer op de schoolbanken zit. Maar dat is een ander verhaal.

En nog nooit gedacht om bij een modelbouwvereniging te gaan ? Op ARC kan je veel leren, maar in een vereniging mag je de leercurve minstens verdubbelen. Enfin, maar een gedacht :) .

In ieder geval ben ik blij dat je mijn model de moeite vindt.

Did you use the new Tamiya paints? Simply FANTASTIC!

Yep, but for the medium grey and dark green you can also use XF-53 and XF-62. I tried these first but wasn't sure if the where the right tint. Then I bought the new colors and noticed almost no diference between them and the older colors.

I have made some more progress on the motor. Doesn't look like much but it represents more hours work then one would expect. Because it all took so long I started with painting the engin black. Just to get an idea of how it would look without plumbing. But seeing all those fantastic builds of Spit engines I had to try it for myself. Still have some wires to add and then on to the final painting of the beast. Hopefully this weekend.

Spit_01.jpg

Spit_02.jpg

Spit_04.jpg

Spit_05.jpg

Spit_06.jpg

And the last of the prop after a coat of future and putting on the decals. It awaits a final flat coat. By the way, is this a wooden prop ar a metal one??? Just to be shure.

Spit_08.jpg

Thx for looking and till next time,

Eric