Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire

• 2 weeks later...

Finally after some trouble with painting, had to redo it, the engine is as good as done. Only thing to ad are the exhausts and the air inlet.

I'm not really sure about the weathering on the engine, but it will have to do. Next up is the final weathering of the spit, chipping, adding dirt streaks, etc... With some luck it will be finished before the weekend.

As for the spinner, they are the colors of the Belgian flag.

spit_29.jpg

spit_30.jpg

spit_31.jpg

spit_32.jpg

spit_33.jpg

spit_34.jpg

spit_35.jpg

spit_36.jpg

spit_37.jpg

spit_38.jpg

Thx for looking and till next time,

Eric

I combined the two. I first preshaded with black, did the camo and than some postshading on the panels using a lighter color.

I made a linedrawing in illustrator, printed it out, taped it on friskit and cut the numbers out using a tamiya design knife. As you can see it worked pretty well.

And thx for the link :thumbsup:

Hopes this helps,

Eric

:worship:

May I ask what font and size you used in AI? Also whats that rust weather technique on the engine?

Edited by Stratox

Thx all, I'm always glad to see that people like my work. As everyone I guess ;)

As to the question of my painting techniques I will to explain some things. If something isn't quit clear just let me know and I will try to explain it better. FYI, with my next build I will try to make more pictures of the different stages of the build. Including materials and techniques used.

First of all I everything I do I learned from other people, being from members of my modeling club or from different sources on the internet (including this forum of course), and in most cases I gave those techniques a personal touch.

For the weathering on the engine I first sprayed it mat black, followed by a dry brush with humbroll 32 (a very dark grey), and then a new thing I learned. The chipping on the engine was done using an old technique, I used a small piece of sponge to stipple some Tamiya XF-16 (enamel) on different spots that where subject to wear. Next was the dust and rust. This was done using white oil paint mixed with Mig pigment to get the right color. The thing is to moisten the surface of the engine with white spirit and then apply a small amount of paint with a pointed brush. You can also moisten the brush first with white spirit to make the paint flow better. But not as much as you would to make a wash out of it. Afterward you can blend the whole thing using a clean flat brush dipped in white spirit. This way you can control the amount of paint that has to stick to the engine.

The rust was made using the same technique but using burned sienna right out of the tube. All this dries up mat, so to create the look of wet oil just paint some future or gloss varnish on the appropriate places.

As with everything, the only way to learn it is to do it. Experience is the sum of all your mistakes. Trust me, I make a lot of mistakes.

As for the font used in AI. I didn't use a font. I used an image I found on the internet and sized this up to the right dimensions and drew the lines using it as a template. If you want I can mail the original AI document I made in CS3. It can be used as a bases for your own design.

Hopes this explanation was clear enough and helps everybody interested in my way of doing things.

Eric

That was a good explenation and perfect guid to how to. Thank you very much! It is great to learn somthing from people like you. I´ll try tis on the Stuka engine I just have on my working table :thumbsup::woot.gif:

Absolutely incredibile job you done! I like it very very much....so now, I feel a devil inside me pushing to buy this marvellous kit and follow you steps.......thank you to share.

Only a question regarding the color you use. I don't understand exactly if you use Tamyia XF-53 or something different.

Nice job

Absolutely incredible job you done! I like it very very much....so now, I feel a devil inside me pushing to buy this marvelous kit and follow you steps.......thank you to share.

Only a question regarding the color you use. I don't understand exactly if you use Tamyia XF-53 or something different.

Nice job

Thx Starflyer. I can understand the confusion, so to clarify things I used the new Tamiya colors. At first I didn't have these and tried what I thought was the best match for the colors, so XF-53, but I wasn't sure about it so I went out and bought me the new exact colors at my LHS.

And to confuse you again. You can use XF-53 because you can hardly see a difference between this one and the new color (to lazy to go upstairs and check the correct number :blink: )

Eric

Eric, this is an impressive build. I have found Tamiya acrylics to dry very flat/matte, which I think makes them fragile against scratches. However, in your first few pictures, a noticeable sheen is visible in your paint job. Can you explain how you get this with the Tamiya paints? Is there a new line of Tamiya acrylics with a different formula?

Thx everyone ;)

At the moment I'm working on the last few items. With a bit of luck it will be finished tomorrow and I Will be able to post some pics my rendition of a Spit. :P

Eric, this is an impressive build. I have found Tamiya acrylics to dry very flat/matte, which I think makes them fragile against scratches. However, in your first few pictures, a noticeable sheen is visible in your paint job. Can you explain how you get this with the Tamiya paints? Is there a new line of Tamiya acrylics with a different formula?

Thx Zidane. To be honest I didn't do anything special. Just used Tamiya tinner and to my own surprise the colors dried out leaving a satin shine to them. Maybe Tamiya altered their formula, but the I can't say I noticed something different when using them.

Hopes this helps.

Have fun,

Eric

Well, after only 2 months it is over and done with. For me this was a quick build in the sense that it normally takes me up to a year to finish a model.

Here are some pics, more can be found at the "display case". I know it isn't perfect with the usual mistakes and srew ups, but I'm happy with it.

spit_58.jpg

spit_64.jpg

Happy modeling,

Eric

Sorry guys, this one is going to be answered in dutch.

Je zou er van verschieten hoeveel BG fans er zijn in vlaanderen. In ieder geval wij twee toch al. Nog druk bezig met de studies, die tijd is al lang voorbij voor mij, alhoewel ik momenteel weer op de schoolbanken zit. Maar dat is een ander verhaal.

En nog nooit gedacht om bij een modelbouwvereniging te gaan ? Op ARC kan je veel leren, maar in een vereniging mag je de leercurve minstens verdubbelen. Enfin, maar een gedacht.

In ieder geval ben ik blij dat je mijn model de moeite vindt.

Eric, first of all, your model looks SUPERB! :D

Awesome build, really...

Rest in Dutch (nothing interesting for you English-speaking-guys, just some chatter between two Belgian modellers :doh: ):

Jij bent echt de enige andere BG-fan die ik leer kennen hoor. Heb voor m'n Kerst en Nieuwjaar (tesamen) o.a. de volledige DVD-box gekregen van m'n ouders. Oh, wat was ik blij! :whistle:

En yep, ik heb wel al gedacht om bij een modelbouwvereninging te gaan. Maar ben er niet echt actief naar op zoek gegaan ofzo.

Maar zoals je zelf zegt, waarschijnlijk is dat echt wel de ideale manier om je technieken aan te scherpen.

Want alles wat ik nu kan heb ik gewoon mezelf moeten aanleren, vanop het internet (vooral van hier op ARC dan).

Jij zit bij de modelbouwvereniging van Leopoldsburg?

Groeten,

Jürgen

Edited by Flyingraptor