Markings colors in US NAVY low vis schemes

I am searching the FS refference for those shades of gray used to paint the markings in US NAVY planes with low vis schemes, not the camouflage, but the markings.

Someone could tell me where I could find these infirmations?

The marking colors are the same colors as the camo. They just use one of the "opposite" colors. There is a specific convention. IIRC it usually is the TPS color that provides the greatest contrast.

For example, let's say you have an F-14 in three tone, with 35237 Medium Gray on top. 35237 will be used for the markings wherever you have a Light or Dark Ghost Gray background color on the sides and bottom. Where you have the 35237 background on top, one of the Ghost Grays will be used for the markings. I am just not sure which one. As I said, there is a convention written somewhere.

Here is the other thing. As often in the Navy(as opposed to the USAF), units seem to get away with a lot of non-standard stuff and don't get called out on it very often. So there is a some variation from the "rules." Best to consult photos, as always.

There is a new MIL-STD-2161B out that call out spesific FS number for that marking so it depends on what time frame he is looking for.

The MIL-STD-2161A said it had to be of "contrasting" shade of grey and there where other restrictions but in the new one is gives the specific color to use.

The two books you need are;

MIL-STD-2161A (AS) dated 1 May 1993

and

MIL-STD-2161B (AS) dated 15 Aug 2008.

HTH

Reddog

My doubt is about 80's markings standard, when the low vis items started mixing with other hi vis markings. At this first moment I am searching the FS codes of those grays of markings on those two Tomcats:

2_VF-111.jpg

However I am starting a huge series for Tomcats and other planes after, so, where Can I find these books, Reddog?

Edited by FCM

I can tell you now if you come through with those decals Ill buy some. Especially the bottom one. Ive always wanted to do that subject since I saw that foldout artwork that was showing up in magazines when I was a kid. Cant remember who it was by though. Good luck mate!

• 1 month later...
My doubt is about 80's markings standard, when the low vis items started mixing with other hi vis markings. At this first moment I am searching the FS codes of those grays of markings on those two Tomcats:

2_VF-111.jpg

However I am starting a huge series for Tomcats and other planes after, so, where Can I find these books, Reddog?

Hi Felipe ,

The NL-213 160668 scheme is NOT from 1986 but from 1983 !! VF-111 along with CVW-15 did a World cruise in 1983 , to bring the new USS Carl Vinson from the Eastcoast , to its new Homeport Alameda ......

HTH , Henk

Edited by sundowner

320, 375, rinse, repeat.

You guys do realize that you're dealing with Navy corrosion control types (Work Center 12C).

Once a plane hits the fleet nothing is "standard".

Out of 320 Poly? Use 320 enamel.

Out of 375 Epoxy? Use 375 lacquer.

Can't find 375 anything? Use gray primer.

In a 6 month period the Leading Petty Officer of the Work Center could have transfered, his replacement might want to do things differently, a new Aircraft Division Chief checks in and might want the markings to be applied according to the pubs except when it interferes with the flight schedule, a new commanding officer maight want "his" boss bird painted a little bit different than the last one.

The paint can be completely different shades between manufactures and/or lots, mixing and matching is not allowed, and besides, that would take time away from (old school) drinking beer and chasing women, or, (new school) playing X-Box / Guitar Hero and chasing women on MySpace.