cleaning airbrush cups

Cotton fibers and airbrushes don't mix well. I had that problem too. If you are using off brand cotton swabs you'll find it worse than if you use the branded Q-Tip ones. I use dental brushes which you can find at the local drug store in the denture care aisle. Other things such as Microbrushes work well too.

brushcloseup.jpg

cleaningbrush.jpg

AirbrushBrushes.jpg

I also rigged up a wide mouth jar with a tin can as a parts strainer that I can drop the paint cups and other airbrush parts into to soak.

freshwashsetup.jpg

A carb jet tool is also handy for cleaning of airbrushes...

100_4303.jpg

I use Q-Tips a lot for quick cleans but also I have a paint brush about 1/4" wide which stuck down in the bowl and swished around does an excellent job of cleaning, yank the needle, wipe it and keep going.

Gerald and Larry have pretty much covered it like rugs.

For interim cleaning (between colors or refills for a single session) I wipe the cup with a lint-free paper towel (Sparkle is the only brand I've found.); Rinse the cup with tap water, then Windex. While the Windex is sitting in the cup, I use a long bristled disposable brush on the inside of the cup. Then dump the Windex, refill, and run a full cup of Windex through the brush at 40-50 psi, backflushing occasionally. This is followed by a water rinse or two, then a full cup of tap water. Finally, a brief rinse and spray of distilled water.

And I've learned the hard way that a complete cleaning at the end of a session is the only way to go. :thumbsup:

My Iwata BCS stopped working a while back.

I have always cleaned using cotton swabs/(earbuds)/Q-tips and hobby store pipe cleaners.

the paint/air mix point was clogged up with 6 years of fibers from cotton swabs/(earbuds)/Q-tips and hobby store pipe cleaners.

Get the dental brushes listed above. My next stop is a real live smoke shop to see about real heavy duty pipe cleaners.

For paint cup I usually fill with cleaner and clean up the dried stuff off with a cotton bud.

I then tip this out so it doesn't clogg the head.

Micro brushe are good for cleaning tiny areas, interdental brushes are also good.

H&S do their own small 'bottle brush' to clean their brush and a metal reamer for removing dried paint and clogs from the paint nossles.

Paul

little-cars.co.uk/airbrushes

Do any of you guys use sonic cleaners to clean? I have an old Paasche VL that has a bunch of accumulated paint thats gotten back into the trigger area that I just cant get rid of. Even after soaking it for several days in Lacquer thinner, it wont get all the old paint out.