Frog Westland Wallace

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

One of those projects that started with high hopes, but then gradually got more and more jinxed. I was determined to finish it though! I added my own control horns, exhaust and replacement windshield - the kit part went missing. Registration letters are home brew. Rigging is Aeroclub stretchy Lycra thread.

peebeep

That's a nice result. I built one last year, more as a test-bed for a few techniques I was trying rather than a serious build. Mine was re-boxed by Marquette (I think!) and had some horrific ejector pin type holes on the underside of the top wing. It nearly went into the bin a few times! Still, I like the Wallace/Wapiti, and the only other game in town is the CMR version. It looks like a lovely resin kit, but it's in excess of £30...

Vince

Vince, this one came in a vintage box but looked like a Novo issue - the late type Frog stand was a bit of a give away! There were lots of EP marks on the lower wing surfaces. The CMR kits do indeed look very nice and I think they also do a Wapiti, but for one of those I shall probably convert the other Novo Wallace that I have lurking in the loft, although a replacement engine will be a must.

Holmes - cheers!

peebeep

Thanks gents. Euge, Pegasus engines make a lovely sound (as does the Bristol Mercury), I've heard them running a few times now when watching a Fairey Swordfish display.

peebeep

Edited by peebeep
The kit can also be used to build, I believe, a Wallace.

I think you mean Wapiti, the kit is the Wallace! :thumbsup:

A Wapiti conversion is quite feasible and I have been considering doing one. The kit engine is quite poor so you would need a replacement, as most Wapiti's were without the Townend ring. The only other significant addition would be the turret aft of the cockpit and requisite gun. There were quite a few variations in undercarriage layout, spats etc and you could consider a fully enclosed cockpit. CMR do a very nice resin Wapiti but it is quite expensive.

Another option is to ditch the fuselage and mate the wings with a suitable replacement to end up with a DH9a.

peebeep