ACADEMY KF-16C

Well, it is an F-16C. It contains parts for the NSI (small mouth) inlet and a Pratt & Whitney F-100-229 exhaust. Out of the box, that would make it a Block 52 F-16CJ. For more on F-16 blocks and what other blocks you can build out of the box (don't know whether the engine versions of the F-100 are discernible from the outside), see THIS TABLE.

Well, you just simply remove the air refuelling boom from the aft fuselage... ;-)

As Moritz said, the kit builds into a Block 52 'C just fine. Just check the configuration of the IFF antennae in front of the cockpit which the KF-16C instructions would have you install, not all F-16C's have them.

(don't know whether the engine versions of the F-100 are discernible from the outside)

Some versions have the exhaust petals covered with a smooth black coating, but it can all be done with paint.

HTH,

Andre

Edited by Andre
KF-16's have refueling booms? Wow. Any photos? I didn't know that bit...

Nah, it was just a silly way of poking fun at the increasingly unwieldy US designation system. "K" used to stand for a tanker variant of the basic airframe ("K for Kerosene"..?), as in KC-10 and KC-135. Just like the EF-18 is a Spanish Hornet and not an electronic warfare variant...

Although, now that I think of it - as the Israeli's obviously found it worthwile to equip their Phantoms with fixed regueling probes instead of relying on their original boom receptables, does anyone have any info as to why the IDF/AF haven't done the same with their F-16's (and F-15's)?

Cheers,

Andre

i bought 1 academy KF-17C yesterday..got any idea how to convert it to F-16C?kinda out of stock of F-16C in LHS here..

some help please....

This kit can be built as either a Blk 42 or 52 USAF aircraft as it contains all the parts necessary including the Blk 42 HUD. I'm currently building it as a Blk 42 from Tulsa Ohio ANG. If you want to build a late model 42/52 you will have to replicate the carbon fibre exhaust petals with semi-matt black paint or decals.

HTH

Phil Hastie

Canberra, Australia