What is this forum for?

While it's true that we usually know what's wrong with our models, we rarely list them out when posting photos of a model.

When people have asked me for a critique of their model at a contest, I'll open the conversation by asking him where he feels the weak points are. Usually that's all that's necessary to discuss the model in more detail and I'm not a "bad guy."

Steve- I think it was a good call. The new split should allow more honest helpful information without the fear of starting fires. I personally would really prefer any thing I have in the new display case to be moved over here, just joking. I have a few new ones to offer up. :cheers:

Steve- I think it was a good call. The new split should allow more honest helpful information without the fear of starting fires. I personally would really prefer any thing I have in the new display case to be moved over here, just joking. I have a few new ones to offer up. :coolio:

Go for it Greg. I look forward to seeing what you've been building. I always enjoy seeing your work. :lol:

Steve- I think it was a good call. The new split should allow more honest helpful information without the fear of starting fires. I personally would really prefer any thing I have in the new display case to be moved over here, just joking. I have a few new ones to offer up. :thumbsup:
I welcome this forum as well.

I just commented on one of the models and felt much more comfortable doing so in this format. Hopefully my comments will be taken as constructive and helpful.

I wish I had something 'new' to post here myself as I always welcome constructive criticism of my models. It's how I learned...

:banana:

I want to be told what places I screw up on. That way I get better! It may have been something I didn't already notice and will become a learning experience. Critique is a fact of life. If no one critiqued my aircraft repair work a plane might eventually crash etc. In my experience in ARC 99% of the critiques come with a "fix" for the error. Honestly I think I will post here a lot. Good call on this forum Steve.

Curt

I agree with this, i am same way. Point out and error on my model, and i am happy, so that next time i wont make it, or dont make the error as bad as last time.

But i fear that this forum will die out...Basically, most people like compliments, that is natural. And fine with me. I fear that after a while, there will be a small group of people that uses this forum. So, the user base will decline, and when it declines, people will stop posting critique. When that happens, people stop posting models at this forum, and do that in display case instead. My point is, (IMHO) there should be a room for both worlds in this forum. I mean if someone post a model here, he/she can get critique and just plain compliments.

The atmosphere won't be so "dry" then, and the user base will be stable. For example lets say someone post a model of F-100. I know nothing about that plane, what markings, what details, what colors, etc...On that fantasy model i don't see any modelling mistakes either. (bad sanding, silvering etc). But i simply like the model, so as a gest of respect it should be possible for me just comment and say it is a great model. :thumbsup:

That will also keep people from making two sets of threads, because they want critique and compliments. For people that simply don't want critique at all, the right forum for them will be display corner then. :woot.gif:

Ultimately, I think it's a good idea, once people adjust to it. It's human nature to resist change, sometimes oppose it vehemently, re-think it, decide it's not as dangerous as once thought, then accept it. When I first saw it, I was put off because I had to change my bookmarks. (That took 30 seconds out of my life, Steve! :thumbsup:)

I post stuff because I want comments on it, good or bad. One time, I posted a Vietnam era F-104C and a debate broke out between a few commenters about when a certain ECM blister was retro-fitted to the F-104C when it served in combat. I read them, did some research, realized I was good either way *but* I ended up retrofitting my model anyway, because I thought the model looked better with them on. So, getting critiques helps me.

But i fear that this forum will die out...Basically, most people like compliments, that is natural. And fine with me. I fear that after a while, there will be a small group of people that uses this forum.

I don't think either forum is going to die out. I see "strict modelers" (Those that can't finish a model until it meets their strict criteria and want feedback that will help them achieve that goal.) gravitating to Critique Corner, and I see "Casual modelers" (Those with loose criteria that just want an attaboy.) staying in The Display Corner. I do think the Display Corner will appear to be more popular because casual modelers both outnumber strict modelers and finish more models, so there will be fewer posts in this forum. Time will tell.

Now everybody get angry over the blue paragraph so we can keep the mods busy locking down threads, because that's the real reason we come to ARC. :lol:

Now everybody get angry over the blue paragraph so we can keep the mods busy locking down threads, because that's the real reason we come to ARC. :shoot:

Troublemaker!!! :)

It's all good....now people have the choice. :cheers:

My last build was made better by people offering their input. I know some people are looking for that ego stroke of "Hey, you did a fantastic job on that!", but I think most people would appreciate some degree of constructive criticism. It leads to better idea sharing, which leads to less frustration through improved skills, which leads to more fun and better models, and more fun and better models are what we're all about, right? I say keep the constructive criticism coming in here. I'll both be looking for it, and dealing it out when I can correctly speak to a subject.

Justin

Edited by jminer

Oh I just posted my builds here, because I've never seen the "Display Case" Forum (still has the 'new' flag next to it).

I've seen everyone post their builds here, so I just followed the crowd.

Being only 20, I still have a lot to learn, and i accept critiques more than compliments :worship:

Tudor

It's straight forward guys.

If you just want to post pics of your model and get some compliments.....use "The Display Case" as the name implies.

If you want to post pics and get some constructive feedback, then use "Critique Corner".

SBARC,

I fully agree with you.

Flores

I can see two positives to seperate posting areas.

1. If I see something in the critique corner I can feel fairly comfortable making honest comments and helpful suggestions, if its in the display case I can just enjoy the pics and leave it at that.

2. Sometimes I build a kit just for fun, to clear the modelling cobwebs, just something quick and dirty. Maybe I don't clean up a few seams as well as I should or use a color that is "close enough". Not that I'd object to constructive comments,but I don't need to waste peoples time pointing out stuff I probably am aware of.

Other times I am trying a new technique or going for a very specific look, in those cases I really welcome detailed comment, even if it comes down to "dude, do you know about superclean, use it, the paint job is not quite there" :whistle:

Just piling on..

I have seen many posts in this form that were an attempts to be helpful to he builder and I think that's generally appreciated by everyone. But it is worth the time to take the trouble to think about before posting critical information..

I have seen responses to models here, and on other sites that seem to be less about helping the builder and more about soapboxing - or using that particular model as an excuse to rant about some element of the hobby they disagree with, or hijacking the thread. These always cause problems and create resentment - this sort of think is unwelcome on every site (including ARC).

For instance suppose someone posts a model that features pre-shading - and someone responds with a rant about how much they hate and can't understand why anyone would preshade, preshading is evil etc.. It's not helpful to the builder to point out that you don't like thier preference in finishing.

Also - when I make critical posts I try very hard to think about what I am saying and how I am saying it. If I see someone building a model and they indicate they don't really care if it's accurate or not - I'll probably just keep my thoughts to myself, and if I like something about it, i'll even post one of them 'nice job' responses if I am inclined.

I think the main thing is just treat others with respect and let the information flow!

Frank

• 2 years later...

Interesting topic, though i think its being overthought a bit

I know i would be more likely to post in the display case, as it seems more casual. I wouldn't be looking for mindless compliments as its been suggested, however. Its just a good way to say "this is what i've been up to"

I think there is room for both forums, and have seen great builds and great feedback in both.

That said, someday i'll actually finish and post a build!!

It's just simple.

If you don't want any comment about your model place it in the Display Case.

Otherwise see it as if your model is been put on a modeling contest.

Thing is that criticism has a negative feeling about the word so maybe use comments instead.

The comments must be that the modeler will enhance his or her skills the next time they make a model.

When I post a model on our forum from the modeling club where I'm a member of, they will also have some comments to enhance my skills.

Does it works? Yeah it works.

What's the use by saying always that's a good model even when there are some things that can be done better?

That means that you're not telling the truth and the modeler doesn't have a straight answer.

I would hate to see the Critique Corner go away. As it is, I feel like there's a lot of hesitation to offer complete, honest criticism to models posted even here. Few people are interested in bashing a model that clearly needs a lot of work or addressing every little flaw, but without the Critique Corner there would be no criticism at all, as in the Display Case. Many people enjoy and prefer the more casual atmosphere of the Display Case, but I personally would rather at least attempt to get some honest feedback rather than just sit back and let the fluffy compliments pile up. Not everyone feels that way; it just depends on what your goals and preferences are.

I find it difficult to really critique a model - however offering advice is something I do readily when people ask. I do offer a lot of compliments (mindless or otherwise) because I really genuinely like when people show there builds and post them. Why not give them a pat on the back - I think they all deserve it.

Where it gets difficult --- everyone has there own style - I cant critique various ways modellers choose to finish and paint etc... because thats there choice - it does not make it right or wrong TO MY EYES. But I know exactly what I do like and also what I dont like - but im not going to make a point of knocking anything on style !

Other point im not an expert and because I build wildly various subjects - I just try to gather what research I can and go for it! I cant make comments to other builds in most cases because i simply dont know if something is "factual" or otherwise. BUT I really do welcome and rely on subject experts - they are to me one of best aspects of forum community!

Where I can help - an error in building a model - well why not point it out - its going to help the builder in the long term.

I really have found this area of forum - VERY USEFUL - people have shown some errors I have made and im grateful for that. ALSO - I put up WIP because I want input before it gets to late! It is nice to get compliments - but when people help i am really really grateful.

best

Mark

I get the point of the critique corner and I think it's a great idea, but I would like to deviate slightly here and comment on critiquing in general - not just in "critique Corner", but to WIP threads as well. I just wish more people would give good honest critique when it's asked for.

Does it look right? Does it need more finishing here or there? Is something just down right wrong with it?? I'm obviously asking for a reason...

On a few occasions, I've asked for critique/feedback and have received no response, no constructive criticism , or on the opposite end of the spectrum, get a "that's awesome". I sometimes put it down to lack of interest in the subject, but sometimes I also find it - as many have said - unhelpful

I've even seen a post where a builder asked for some constructive advice and got a "that's wicked - nothing wrong with that. Check out my build..." in response. I have no idea on how that would have been useful - unless he was showing the picture to show how he overcame a similar issue, but that certainly wasn't made clear in the post.

I say, if the modeller has asked for input and you have an idea or know of something that may help - trivial or not (I sometimes over look the most simplest of things by over complicating things for myself) then speak up. Most of us want to better ourselves and love getting the constructive input. Well it's how I learn anyway.

That's all I have for the moment - thanks for reading

I would hate to see the Critique Corner go away. As it is, I feel like there's a lot of hesitation to offer complete, honest criticism to models posted even here. Few people are interested in bashing a model that clearly needs a lot of work or addressing every little flaw, but without the Critique Corner there would be no criticism at all, as in the Display Case. Many people enjoy and prefer the more casual atmosphere of the Display Case, but I personally would rather at least attempt to get some honest feedback rather than just sit back and let the fluffy compliments pile up. Not everyone feels that way; it just depends on what your goals and preferences are.

Keep in mind this thread was started before there was two forums. A Critique Corner and a Display case.

To put things into perspective for newer people. This thread was about a singular forum which pretty much does not exist anymore.

The two forums "Critique Corner and Display case' came about after having the discussion.

Another words, the below thread/post was writing/asking about a forum that no longer exist. It was not asking about the Critic corner nor the Display case, Both of them Forums came after this thread. This thread just happened to end up in the Critic corner forum after the split.

I'm still fairly new to the site here, and I would like to know the proper etiquette here. If when people ask for comments on their models, do they really want all comments, good and bad, or do they want just all the nice "WOW! Great job!!!" kinds of comments? What if someone has done a very nice model, has dozens of people telling him what a great job he did, yet you can plainly see several errors in the model. Do you just let it go, or do you try to gently say, "yeah it's nice, but..." And how about if one's own modeling skills aren't nearly as good as the modeler in question, yet one knows a good bit about the real aircraft and can see the errors, is it then kosher to comment in the negative? Or do most of you subscribe to the "if you don't have something nice to say, then don't say it at all" plan? Or maybe just accept that a lot of people here really don't care all that much about making a true-to-scale model, and artistic license is absolutely fine no matter how much it doesn't look like the real airplane?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Scott Wilson

---------------------------------------------------------

Let me get the update loaded and then I'll set up the new forum....for "The Display Case".

I've pinned some guidlenes for the Critique forums. I'll do the same for "The Dispaly Case" forum.

Edited by Wayne S

Though I may be repeating what others have already said, I'm going to quote my previous comments from the 'Display Case' "NO Critiqueing" thread:

I think a big reason that the 'critique corner' was separated from the "display case" is that when there was only one category almost every model posted was met with nothing but "That's awesome!" and "That looks great!" comments.

If anybody dared post anything even slightly negative they risked either upsetting the builder or worse yet, facing the wrath of those who thought they were being mean.

People who truly wanted constructive criticism weren't getting any.

People who wanted to offer constructive criticism were afraid to do so.

Also consider that some people are hesitant to post anything as they are shy or worry that their models aren't 'good enough' to share. They should be encouraged to show their work and have a place that they can share without worrying about their work being shredded with unwanted critiques. They can 'grow a thicker skin' when they have gained experience and confidence in their workmanship.

There are those who just want to display their models without hearing any critiques.

There are those who want to display them so that they can receive critiques and suggestions to improve their skills.

There are those who want to display them hoping to not hear critiques, but are open to them if there is something they can improve upon.

Having separate sub-forums addresses those issues and doesn't do any harm other than forcing you to surf an additional sub-category to view the models.

:cheers: