Some Pics from Army Flight Test...

Just to get nitpicky (only because I spent some time recently looking at these things), the EH-60A carried the AN/ALQ-151(V)2 Quickfix system, with the configuration being known as Quickfix 2B. Quickfix 2A had been the AN/ALQ-151(V)2 mounted on the EH-1X, which replaced the initial Quickfix 1A (AN/ALQ-151) and Quickfix 1B (AN/ALQ-151A) configurations mounted on the EH-1H. Quickfix 2B was eventually replaced by the AN/ALQ-151(V)3 Advanced Quickfix system mounted on the EH-60L.

Actually you can see the Antenna just under the copilots door the EH was the only -60 to have those antennas under the pilots doors.

Jakub, you really can't tell if that is an EH-60 just by that pic. The difference between an EH and a UH was mainly in the back on the tail boom where EH's had specialized antennas attached to the sides and a long dipole antenna on the bottom. Just by the picture it looks like a standard UH-60. The only EH's I knew of back in the 80's were EH-60's that were attached to the 313th CEWI (combat electronic warfare inntelligence). Other than the antenna package, the EH-60 looked like a standard Blackhawk. HTH

Hope to make it to the Nats this year with a couple helos.

Me too. I'm off to the land of Army Hueys in late July, so we'll see...

Just to get nitpicky (only because I spent some time recently looking at these things), the EH-60A carried the AN/ALQ-151(V)2 Quickfix system, with the configuration being known as Quickfix 2B. Quickfix 2A had been the AN/ALQ-151(V)2 mounted on the EH-1X, which replaced the initial Quickfix 1A (AN/ALQ-151) and Quickfix 1B (AN/ALQ-151A) configurations mounted on the EH-1H. Quickfix 2B was eventually replaced by the AN/ALQ-151(V)3 Advanced Quickfix system mounted on the EH-60L.

Would the external antenna configuration be the same between the Quickfix 2B and the Advanced Quickfix?

Take care,

Austin

For all of you interested in EH-60's, here's you a "Quickfix"

Ray

UH-600008_zpse76c61e1.jpg

UH-60Icingtests48_zpsb6b8cf3d.jpg

IcingMisc0015_zps6414b325.jpg

UH-60Icingtests55_zpsefed3d5a.jpg

Nice pics, Ray.

First one is the ESL YEH-60A, 79-23301. ESL (part of TRW at the time) produced the prototype, but didn't win the contract. Tracor (now BAE) got the contract and did the conversions on the production airframes.

Next three are artificial icing trials (as signified by the yellow ice) in Duluth, MN. Don't think this is the 1984 season, which is the first time we had an EH-60 for icing, because of the interim suppressors in pics 1 and 3. Don't have my records at hand - I'll update when I get home.

We had a lot of trouble with breaking mounts on the DF antennas on the tailboom. The ice buildup would change the mass of the antennas, which would change the natural frequency, and sometimes you'd get to a resonant frequency with a rotor system harmonic and the antennas would vibrate and break the mounts. We also had at least one occasion where the droop stops froze and when the rotor was coasting down, the blades came down and hit the DF antennas. Also, ice would build up on the big jamming antenna and it would start to whip until the ice broke off.

Nice pics, Ray.

Next three are artificial icing trials (as signified by the yellow ice) in Duluth, MN. Don't think this is the 1984 season, which is the first time we had an EH-60 for icing, because of the interim suppressors in pics 1 and 3.

What was the story behind those interim suppressors? I thought I read somewhere that they were designed to reduce the IR signature while in cruise and for whatever reason, the Army felt it more important to reduce IR signature during the low speed / hover portions of flight. As a result, they went with the HIRSS that was installed on the L model (and some late A's).

Haven't seen that many pictures out there of these early units but from what I remember, there were fielded for a short time.

Hey,

as CW4 Erick Swanberg said, there is some sort of antenna/warning sensor just next to the right shoulder of the left person. I see it also here which is definetly EH-60 without the antennas (I guess as this was taken in Holland they were stored somewhere not to damage them during transport from Gulf).

86-24565_1.jpg

You can see the antenna just under the cheek window. Same antenna or sensor appears to be on the fuselage facing aft nearly on the bottom, in line where the HIRSS ends. I have never seen those antennas on classic UH-60s.

Thanks for all the great answers.

Jakub

Hey,

as CW4 Erick Swanberg said, there is some sort of antenna/warning sensor just next to the right shoulder of the left person. I see it also here which is definetly EH-60 without the antennas (I guess as this was taken in Holland they were stored somewhere not to damage them during transport from Gulf).

86-24565_1.jpg

You can see the antenna just under the cheek window. Same antenna or sensor appears to be on the fuselage facing aft nearly on the bottom, in line where the HIRSS ends. I have never seen those antennas on classic UH-60s.

Thanks for all the great answers.

Jakub

I thought I read somewhere that these were early version Missile Warning Sensors, never seem to have been fitted to other Blackhawks, even the special ops versions. Just the EH-60's which seems kind of strange.

Hey guys, consulted my record and have some more info on the EH icing pics Ray posted. The early EH-60 is indeed YEH-60 301 and it is the 1984 icing season. I don't remember the Cruise suppressors being installed, but apparently they were. The middle shot is a production EH-60 from the 1988 icing season. Don't have the serial number on that one.

As for the "Cruise Suppressors", there's a bit more info Rigid Rotorhead posted a couple pages back. Initially, it was thought that the engine compartment cooling and integral particle separator air ejected through the exhaust would be sufficient, but that was not the case, so the initial suppressor design, (the "Cruise Suppressor") was developed that scooped air and mixed it with the exhaust. As was noted, they were ineffective in a hover, which lead to the HIRSS, which uses baffles and mixing. The HIRSS was slightly less effective in cruise, however. The recent overseas conflicts have shown that the threat now is primarily shoulder fired missiles, so it's interesting to note that the 60's (and AH-64) are now going to the 'toilet bowl' vertical deflection suppressors.

I remember Advanced Quick Fix. I think it was originally going to be designated EH-60C. I had a very good relationship with the SEMA PM from work I did for him on a specially configured EH-60, and he used to call me regularly in regards to testing for the Advanced QF (which he wanted me to be Test Director for). There was once a proposal to separate the signal location and jamming into two separate aircraft. If you go back in the thread a ways, you'll find a few pics of the signal location aircraft, the EH-60B (DELTA) which was converted from the old 'Daddy Longlegs' SOTAS EH-60.

11bee, as I recall, the 'coffee can' antennas on the EH-60 are indeed missile warning. I don't remember the exact system number (AN/ALQ-156?). I was told that some of the final tests of the system were done with a CH-47 at Dugway Proving Grounds by firing howitzer projectiles at the Chinook in flight! Don't know how true that is, but could you imagine being on that crew?!

I remember Advanced Quick Fix. I think it was originally going to be designated EH-60C.

In the 1998 edition of DOD Directive 4120.15-L the EH-60C designation for the AQF platform is in there. It also lists UH-60C as the C2 platform. They're both described as UH-60A variants, so I guess the decision was made to go with a UH-60L airframe instead and these aircraft became EH-60L and EUH-60L respectively.

It's not that their clouded in secrecy, but its an unommon battlefield platform. These hawks are electronic warfare helos and and anything about EW is hush hush. The only unit I knew of back in the 19&0's was the 313th CEWi. An electronic warfare unit stationed on Simmons Army Airfield at Ft. Bragg. Never did a parts run to their hangar though. Huh! Wonder why!

Military intelligence battalions are still where the EH-60 are found. The term CEWI (Combat Electronic Warfare and Intelligence) has been replaced, but I'm not sure what the specific term of art is these days. EUH-60Ls are found in current general support aviation battalions.

With the way the Army is always restructuring, that doesn't surprise me there part of the GSAB now.back in the 80's it seemed more simple than it is nowadays By the way, this pic would make a great 1/35 scale dio titled "fill er up!"9A2CC615-845F-478A-8A6E-44C05D1DB181-17208-000014A6DC2439A3_zpsa39e0a08.jpg

Edited by hawkwrench

I'm still scanning 60 stuff for a BIG post later. In the meantime, here are a few more of the MH-60K. Anybody know what the black bumps on the roof right behind where the ALQ-144 would go are?

Ray

MH-60KSept19950005_zps528597f3.jpg

MH-60KSept19950008_zps7c8e4e13.jpg

MH-60KSept19950010_zps7260633d.jpg

MisctestingAircraft8_zps781ece26.jpg

misctestboardaircraft0001_zpsa48a502e.jpg

And just for fun, one last EH-60 pic:

AATB0081_zps4e5a89b6.jpg

Edited by rotorwash

What is that "box" on the pilot's door? Never seen that on an operational Kilo model.

I am pretty sure that houses test equipment, possibly related to the probe on the refueling boom. Hopefully Matt will be along to confirm or deny that. Of course it isn't painted orange like all the other test gear so maybe I'm wrong.

Ray

Edited by rotorwash