...Yes it's...was a Mig-21...

Dear Benjo...you are absolutely right. I had a chat with an "armour" modeller and the first think he mentioned was the "tyres". Now my excuse...the front tyre I flat it more than I usually do with my other normal models, I know it does'nt show that much. With the main tyres, the one that managed to stand up I really abussed it with my dremmel and I can assure you that is about one third smaller in diameter than the normal. The collapsed one...I don't really know what I tried to do, I made it relly flat on one side and I left it like that...no comments!!! Funny enough though in the pictures I had for reference some tyres looked in...good condition...hhhmmmm...

Very nice job on a complex subject. Lot of confusing stuff erupts from inside a burned and wrecked aircraft and I think you did a great job capturing the look.

To my eye, the weakest link in the diorama is the base. The finish on the Marston Steel Runway Matting (I think that's what it is) needs more weathering, more painted dirt, stains and rust. I would add a few patches of weeds growing up through the matting. Perhaps a bit of damage like shell holes in the matting would also make it more a part of the story.

The sand looks a little out of scale and un-natural in placement. You may want to use a finer material (almost a powder) to use for the sand which is more to scale and when placing it think about how it got there. Sand will build in waves and drifts, being effected by anything it meets along the way. Here's a link showing how blowing sand accumulates. Linky As for how to model the effect, I'm sure there must be tutorials on the web (most likely in model railroading sites).

Yes the base could be better. One think that makes me feel a bit better is that is all "hand made". I took a piece of "foam paper"(???), sketched the paterns for the steel plates and I hand punched all the holes you can see in the base...too many and too painfull. Now about the sand...I can say that I am really satisfied with the looks of it...maybe if you could see the actual model you could be more satisfied. About the sand "pattern"...personaly I find your suggestions "...exaguration ...". According to my foto references I could'nt distinguish any "pattern". Any way thanks for your comments and I really appreciate your help regarding the improvements to my diorama.