Need USN Help Baaaaaaadly!!!!

While doing some research for one of my more favored NavAir Squadrons; I found a very interesting tidbit of data which I am in disagreement with somewhat. Not being a Navy vet, I have to ask those who are. This tidbit of data is stating that "VF-92 SilverKings" after giving up their F-4 mounts transitioned to the F-14. This is the first time I've heard anything that comes close; if M.A.T.S has info I missed it. Is this a fact!!! or is this someones second hand info from a scatologic session in a bar.

You three are good enough for me.....When I saw that, a few thoughts came to mind, (1) This is a typo (2) The move was planned, but never happened (3) This guy is smokin' or drinkin' some really good stuff, so much so he saw Tomcats with "SilverKing" markings (Probably at 29 stumps or El Centro on a good night after a session with some bad Cactus juice whistle.gif .

Edited by Angels49

I would GUESS the establishment of VF-1 and 2 left the navy with 2 more fighter squadrons then they knew what to do with. VF-24 and VF-211 were probably just lucky they got to transition from F-8s to F-14s instead of going the way of VF-92 and 96.

Vf-92 and 96 deservedly needed to be decommisioned. Thier record of mishap and just bad luck was sad. The Enterprise mishap and an F-8 crashing into a hanger at Miramar were among the most prominent episodes along with other misfortunes. I lost good friends and fellow ordies in both the Enterprise and hanger crash happenings.

While doing some research for one of my more favored NavAir Squadrons; I found a very interesting tidbit of data which I am in disagreement with somewhat. Not being a Navy vet, I have to ask those who are. This tidbit of data is stating that "VF-92 SilverKings" after giving up their F-4 mounts transitioned to the F-14. This is the first time I've heard anything that comes close; if M.A.T.S has info I missed it. Is this a fact!!! or is this someones second hand info from a scatologic session in a bar.

Sounds like a story from Wikipedia.

Sounds like a story from Wikipedia.

Unfortunately the WAP "McDonnell F-4 Phantom - Spirit in the Skies" has this under the squadron histories, at least the first edition does... They do not have the same error for VF-96. I don't know if that's where Clif got his info.

I was hoping this was a simple typo and not a sign of deeper issues with a book I've found helpful.

BTW, does anyone else have this book? Looking at the cover pic, it looks like the boarding ladder is down on the 111 F-4 dropping it's load. Nice tidbit for a inflight build to annoy contest judges. :P

mason

well, Mason, as for "things" in the Spirit book,,,,,you don't want to follow their lead and build VF-32 F-4J's either

at least they mention that VF-142 became VF-96 in the squadron history pages,,,and the test bird having 22 500 # (not 24) in that famous pic,,,,they also got the other famous pic captioned right, with the Centerline Nuke,,,I've seen that called a drop tank in other books

sorry for your loss, Ordie,,,,,,but, it would be pretty hard to blame VF-92 or VF-96 for crashing that F-8,,,,,what squadron crashed into -92 or -96?

Not putting the blame on anyone,I know stuff happens. Its just sometimes mishap after mishap causes alot of down spirit in an organization. I believe it was a Marine squadron F-8 that crashed into the hanger.

What about VF-213, they seemed to of had a run of bad luck in the 80s and 90s ..

The whole wing (CVW-11) was stood down, leadership changed (even at the squadron level) and they started work-ups anew after a spate mishaps in the mid-90's. The Hultgreen fiasco was near the start and I believe the final straw was the clown routine into the house in TN. However, there had been mishaps across the whole wing, not just VF-213.

Spongebob

I know this isn't very helpful because I can't think where I saw this, but ISTR reading somethere that VF-92 and VF-96 were suggested as the F-14 squadrons for the 15th carrier air wing (excluding the reserve air wings) which was planned to form when John Lehman was SECNAV, but never did (and there were only 14 for a relatively short time).

In essence, if the source was correct and if my vague recollection is right - two fairly big 'ifs' - VF-92 and VF-96 would have been/were in line to be the next F-14 squadrons to form after VF-191 and VF-194; of course what actually happened was that VF-191 and VF-194 (and CVW-10) disestablished after only a couple of years.

Unfortunately the WAP "McDonnell F-4 Phantom - Spirit in the Skies" has this under the squadron histories, at least the first edition does... They do not have the same error for VF-96. I don't know if that's where Clif got his info.

mason

After going to about 10-15 different sites on Google refs that day I can't remember the precise site, but that does seem to ring a bell; as far as the site with the info. Danged CRS is getting worse, I s'pose it's time to get summa dem 1aday memry vitaminz :) .

Edited by Angels49