Future of WWII Prop Model Kits

Just wanted to start a thread to discuss the future of WWII prop kits. I am so suprised on how big 1/32 scale is taking off and getting. There are so many nice kits on the market now in this scale but the room for growth is huge. I mean we still need Hasegawa to do some big popular kits like P-51, F4U, Typhoon, Hurricane, Hellcat (new molds that is) and I am sure the list goes on and on. But what about 1/48th? Almost everything has been done by some manufactureer. But I look at how well the Tamiya P-51/P-47/Me262 kits still sell and you see them build every where. So my question is what scale do you prefer and why? And do you think the 1/48 scale is dying out?

Just wanted to start a thread to discuss the future of WWII prop kits. I am so suprised on how big 1/32 scale is taking off and getting. There are so many nice kits on the market now in this scale but the room for growth is huge. I mean we still need Hasegawa to do some big popular kits like P-51, F4U, Typhoon, Hurricane, Hellcat (new molds that is) and I am sure the list goes on and on. But what about 1/48th? Almost everything has been done by some manufactureer. But I look at how well the Tamiya P-51/P-47/Me262 kits still sell and you see them build every where. So my question is what scale do you prefer and why? And do you think the 1/48 scale is dying out?

My preferred scale is 1/72. Way more variety of offerings in that scale, plus the larger planes (bombers, transports) don't get overwhelmingly large (well, except for the Monogram B-36 I'm building).

But I like 1/48 scale fighters and twin-engine planes, too. Big enough to have some nice detail without taking up too much shelf space.

I really don't have very many 1/32 scale models in the stash. Just 5 actually, out of several hundred. They're just too big.

:thumbsup:

Mike

Edited by mlicari

I've always built 1/48. Over the last couple of years I've tackled some 1/32's for people and I've got to say I've grown very fond of them (since I dont have to store them), they are easier to correct and also more importantly, are less scary to scratch build on. This lets you hone your skills on a more forgiving platform.

If the future 1/32's are anything like this Tamiya Spitfire, I'm building them all.

I think demographics is the big reason 1/32 is becoming more popular.

Take myself as a case in point. When I was a wee lad, a 1/48th prop was a nice big size in my eye and to my hand. But now days it actually seems pretty small. It's almost like 1/48th shrank to 1/72 to my eye! 1/32 seems better suited for my older hands and eyes nowadays. Of course I could put just as small parts on a 1/32 kit....

Second, my age group ( I'm in my mid thirty's btw) may find the cost trade-off of buying a shiny new Tamigawakit for leisure a bargain compared to other alternative choices (golfing, bowling, TV, movies, alcohol, women). So although an expensive purchase, a possible bargain given the time enjoying building.

The Internet may also play a role in all this but I'll let someone else take that avenue.

1/32 has been around for 40+ years. Revell was cranking them out in the late 1960s, nothing 'new' about the scale.

While the 1/32 Spit IX from Tamiya is getting a lot of talk now, Tamiya's bread and butter is RC and even with plastic models, it is more armor than aircraft. If Tamiya were to release an accurate 1/48 Spit IX, I would bet it would rapidly outsell the larger one.

Personally, I am 64, and have been building 1/72 kits for 50 years with no plans to change. While I have occasionaly purchased a 1/48 kit when it was a subject I particulary liked, I have never actually built one of them and invariably end up selling or donating them.

I think the popularity of 1/32 has something to do with us aging boomers; we (theoretically) have more disposable income for kits like the Tamiya Spit and Zeke, and our eyes ain't gettin' any younger. When I've sold kits on eBay, I've had enormous response (and good prices) for 1/32; not so much for smaller scales.

But I don't see 1/48th going away at all; it's a perfect scale for those who like a lot of detail, but don't necessarily have the extra display space you need for 1/32.

I've been building mostly 1/72 for the past several years, and would love to get more heavily into the larger scales, especially 1/32. Will just have to bite the bullet and invest in (or build) some adequate display cases. After that, watch out!

cheers

Old Blind Dog

When I returned to the hobby in the 1980's it was the Matchbox Spitfire 22 that rekindled my interest, after I built that I built a few 1/48 kits, but at the end of the build the 1/32 kit gave me a large impressive model, with a lot more detail.

I have built 1/32 ever since, it is the perfect scale for single engined aircraft, for larger multi engined aircraft I go to 1/48.

Cheers

Den

I don't see why it has to be an either/or thing. Build what you like, in whatever scale you like. I build a lot of 1/32 kits (well, I would, wouldn't I!), but I also build my fair share of kits in 1/48 and 1/144. 1/72 is actually the scale I build the least of, with only a handful of kits in the stash. But I'm still happy to build good kits of large subjects in that scale. Who the hell wants a 1/32 B-36 anyway?

Kev

I think that 1/32 scale models are more attractive to the older generation (in general of course), and become more attractive to the older generation because of fading eyesight after many years of AMS modelling. Bigger scales also give more scope for super detailing imho.

I have just moved into 1/32 after years of 1/48 for the reasons explained

I think if you are a low volume builder, 1/32 might be OK for you. Or if you like to give away your models after a while. For me, I like to keep my models and I just do not have the room to store and display close to 100 models if they were 1/32.

I build mostly 1/48 + some 1/32 and a few 1/72. I think 1/48 is the perfect scale considering size and detail, both in armour and aircrafts (and i would ad cars but that market i small not counting die casts and white metal), it is simply the best compromize between scale, size and detail.

Although I prefer 1/32 ,since I love to paint and this gives me a great canvas (and they look impressive when done!), they can get expensive, take up a lot of shelf space, and sometimes require added detail because of the size.

I have some 1/72 kits but find them hard to work with and the detail just isn't enough for me. I am just not talented enough like some of the folks here to make them to my liking.

I agree with TuveB that 1/48 is a good balance.

Will we see the end of some scales? Maybe. But these scales have been around forever from my pov. 1/32 seems to have really taken off, and although it seems 1/48 and 1/72 get lots of attention, these releases by Tamiya have set a new standard.

I think a major downfall of 1/32 is the price, considering even 1/48 and 1/72 are starting to skyrocket. I can barely continue to purchase 1/48 kits...there's no way I could plunk down $150-$200 per kit. I do believe though that 1/32 can continue to grow while 1/48 and 1/72 hold their own.

Aaron

Edited by jester292

I have always built 1/48 scale aircraft but have been intrigued by 1/32, although never ventured to purchase or build one just one. As for 1/48 dying out, I'd really find that hard to believe. I think that the offerings become more and more limited when you look at 1/72 offerings versus 1/48. It seems to be a natural progression then that 1/32 offers fewer aircraft versions than 1/48. I mean as much as I'd love to see it, I don't think anyone will be doing a 1/32 Lancaster, B-17 or Fw 200 even. But who knows, maybe someone will bring these to market in 1/32 at some point.

Greg

Buying kits from more than 20 years, I have a huge amount of WW2 1/48 kits in the stash.

And I still like them all.

But the last WW2 models I've built are in 1/32.

And I really like their look, once in the showcase.

My previous 109s in 1/48 disappears, in proximity of my recent Eduard 109E.

So, I'm just a little worried for my 1/48 stack!

As today, my preferences for WW2 single engine fighters are for 1/32.

To my eyes they are at the "right" size, in that scale.

But for others, from Bf-110 or Mosquito to Lancaster or Fortress, preferences are still for 1/48.

Cheers

Paolo

Edited by rotaliscia

I don’t think it’s as much a shift to 1/32 as much as the opening of an untapped market in the big scale. For many years, about the only 1/32 prop kits were a handful of old Revell and Hasegawa kits. Tamiya didn’t make anything other than their F-14, PCM wasn’t making 1/32 kits yet, and Trumpeter and Special Hobby didn’t exist. Meanwhile, 1/48 was exploding, mostly due to Hasegawa, and to a lesser extent Tamiya. It’s to the point now where almost every major WW2 combat aircraft has been done in 1/48 scale(yes, I understand they haven’t done a kit of X yet in 1/48, but still there are a lot of different aircraft already out there). Only in recent times have manufacturers started to look to the bigger scale and start making kits, some of which were never done in plastic. What I think you are seeing is making up for lost ground in 1/32 scale because there is so much still to do, while 1/48 most of the popular subjects have already been covered.

Due to space and money, 1/48 is always going to be more popular than 1/32. The sales of a 1/32 Ju-88 or Spit isn’t going to even come close to the number of these kits that have already been sold in 1/48 scale.

This is NOT the 1st time that 32tooth scale got hot!! The 1st was back in the 60's. Then again in the 70/80's. Both times were like a flash in the pan.

If I were to build one or two single engine fighter models that I liked, 32tooth would be my choice. Twin engine aircraft starts getting problematic due to where you can display finished model. Four engine bombers are out!!

I wonder if Trumpeter, the BIG contributor of 32tooth, isn't practicing for the time they'll scale these down to 48th and 72nd??

72nd is really the better size for a wide range of models all in the same scale. A lot of 72nd models just don't have the look of the real thing. A small error here and there makes the finished product just not look right. The bigger the scale the less off it looks.

Don't think I'll ever see a 48th scale, my favorite, B-36 or B-52. I did have high hopes back when 21st Century was turning out models, but they seemed bent on making 32tooth. Maybe one reason they're NOT making new kits as before????

I'll find room to put a 48th Vulcan or Buff if someone will make one!! But first, a GOOD P-40B/C!!

Homoscale, 48th ONLY,

Bo Roberts

Edited by jabow

1/72 and 1/32 will always be around but actually 1/24, 1/48 and 1/96 (OK I know it's as rare as hen's teeth) are more natural scales for those of us who work in imperial while 1/20, 1/50 and 1/100 would make more sense to metric-o-philes. Also the space issue becomes a real problem over 1/48th. Quarter scale is the best compromise over all.

Who on earth ever thought up 1/72nd anyway? I mean 3/16ths of an inch to the foot? you would need A-level maths to scratch build in that!

Who on earth ever thought up 1/72nd anyway? I mean 3/16ths of an inch to the foot? you would need A-level maths to scratch build in that!

You're thinking backwards. In 1/72 one inch equals six feet. Pretty easy math if you're used to English measurements.

J

Actually, 3/16"=1'-0" is 1/64 scale, and 1/72nd would be 5/32"=1-'0". "One inch=six feet" sounds simple enough, until ya start cypherin' fractions!

:(

John

Personally I'm stunned with the proliferation of monster size kits, not just 1/32 aircraft, but 1/72 scale ships / subs, 1/35 PT Boats, 1/144 scale battleships? Just where do people put 3-5 footlong models.

I can display 4 or 5 of the same 1/72 scale aircraft, in the space needed for one 1/32, but considering the additional time to build and such, I can see how they can be manageble to a point (single engine WW1 & 2 fighters), but the larger kits must be sold to people who own a barn.

While 1/72 is still my primary scale I have fallen prey to the lure of 1/32 as of late. Unfortunately SWMBO law dictates that all completed plastic remains confined to the man cave so I just don't see having a huge 1/32 collection due to the storage problems they create. A new custom built display case is on the agenda this year, though. I'll most likely confine my 1/32 projects to subjects that really grab me and stick with 1/72 for the rest.

Personally I'm stunned with the proliferation of monster size kits, not just 1/32 aircraft, but 1/72 scale ships / subs, 1/35 PT Boats, 1/144 scale battleships? Just where do people put 3-5 footlong models.

Boy do I ever agree!! These 32tooth kits are so big ya can't build and display but so many and then ya need a bigger house!!

I can always find room for two or three big subject models, so Airfix, go ahead with that 48th scale Vulcan!!!

Bo Roberts