Future of WWII Prop Model Kits

Well, 1/72 scale has been around since at least the 1940's (lots of the WWII identification models were made in hard rubber to 1/72 scale) and it doesn't seem to be going away. Talking about monster size kits, AModel is releasing a 1/72 scale Hughes H-4 Hercules. That flipping thing is huge!

Clicky

To me, that is the main advantage of 1/72 scale. You can literally make an air force of aircraft. When you can build a tiny BD-5 jet, U-boat, tank or a Hughes H-4, that is a flexible scale.

While 1/72 is still my primary scale I have fallen prey to the lure of 1/32 as of late. Unfortunately SWMBO law dictates that all completed plastic remains confined to the man cave so I just don't see having a huge 1/32 collection due to the storage problems they create. A new custom built display case is on the agenda this year, though. I'll most likely confine my 1/32 projects to subjects that really grab me and stick with 1/72 for the rest.

That sounds like me, I'd like to do one of the 1/32 kits just to try something a little different, but picking just one or two subjects to highlight is not easy.

Boy do I ever agree!! These 32tooth kits are so big ya can't build and display but so many and then ya need a bigger house!!

I can always find room for two or three big subject models, so Airfix, go ahead with that 48th scale Vulcan!!!

Bo Roberts

My jumbo sized kit I'm hoping for is a Boeing 314 "China Clipper", the 1/144 I have just doeesn't do it justice. I'm hoping if AModel doesn't go down the drain with the Spruce Goose, maybe they will do a 314 in their AMonster series. Funny I'd be all over a 1/72 314 but I don't have any interest in a 1/72 Spruce Goose.

Personally I would go along with the Mikesters idea. I don't have the space to store lots of large scale models, so my regular scale would be 1/72 however, within the theme I am modelling (FAA Aces), there are some that I would wish to hilight (for Example Cmdr Stan Orrs Hellcat I from Operation Tungsten) these I would do in 1/48th. Big enough for the extra detail, small enough to store and display... A 1/48th Sea Hurricane would be good...

But, I do admire large scale models, well made and well finished, so please carry on.............

Cheers....

My jumbo sized kit I'm hoping for is a Boeing 314 "China Clipper", the 1/144 I have just doeesn't do it justice. I'm hoping if AModel doesn't go down the drain with the Spruce Goose, maybe they will do a 314 in their AMonster series. Funny I'd be all over a 1/72 314 but I don't have any interest in a 1/72 Spruce Goose.

And I agree with ya this subject but in 48th scale!! Once again, 21st Century shoulda made it and sold completed models to the Banana Rebublic Story chain!! Woulda made excellent decor for the story and they could sell them to customers!! I think this would been a hot seller for 21st Century. Modelers, too would be after 'em in kit form.

Hobby shops aren't the only outlet for our hobby items!!

Bo Roberts

While the 1/32 Spit IX from Tamiya is getting a lot of talk now, Tamiya's bread and butter is RC and even with plastic models, it is more armor than aircraft. If Tamiya were to release an accurate 1/48 Spit IX, I would bet it would rapidly outsell the larger one.

You know it is only a matter of time before they will release the kit in 1/48. I bet even Tamiya is susprised at the success of the 1/32 Spit, it is the first time ever one of their first production runs has sold out so that in itself reveals they were not expecting the kit to be so successful. And I agree, a 1/48 Mk IX will outsell the bigger one.

In my humble opinion the 1/48 scale won´t die, it is simply capitalism at full steam......1/32 is jus tanother alternative to the market, besides 1/48 and 1/32 have been out for years, the difference for this 1/32 shock nowadays I think, it is that the are a lot of new moulds for old subjects and in 1/48 a lot has been covered, but there is still room for a lot of kits (for example, german floatplanes, Italeri has a brand new Arado, but, what about a Heinkel He-115????), french airplanes, japanese bombers, more british bombers apart from the Lancaster ( thinking of a Manchester, a Whitley, a Halifax), so there is still plenty of room for new subjects or upgraded subjects (like Eduard did with their Fw-190 series, their Hellcats and so on). You can see a similar growing in the "new" 1/48 armour kits and that doesn´t mean that the 1/35 scale will die. So all in all, is simply that the manufacturers are filling market request with their offerings...as I said before, capitalism at full steam...lol...... :thumbsup::coolio:

Oh yeah, I've been waiting for that kit for about 2 years. I'm going to get one of those whenever it gets released, build it as an NB-52B and put Special Hobby's X-15A-2 under the wing!!

I've pretty much been a 1/48th guy since I was a kid, expect for a move to 1/72 in the 80s, I guess growing up in the 70s I was always building the Monogram WWII bombers and fighters. I used to love read and re-read the diorama sheets that came in the bomber kits....still do!! Remember the SBD with the retractable gear and dropping bomb?

Forever Forty-Eighth!!

Chappie

Oh yeah, I've been waiting for that kit for about 2 years. I'm going to get one of those whenever it gets released, build it as an NB-52B and put Special Hobby's X-15A-2 under the wing!!

Forever Forty-Eighth!!

Chappie

I've built the 48th Special Hobby X-15 and it's pretty big!! A 48th B-52 would be something else!! Would just HAVE to find somewhere to put it!! I'm with you, I'd like an early version with the tall tail!!

Bo Roberts

• 3 months later...

as a kid i was building 1/72 scale and loved them.....they where build in a day! perfect for a kid playing and breaking them in a few days!

when i picked up the hobby a decade or two later i was shocked that everything looked so big when i was young........ and went on building 1/32 and loved the scale and still do

and love detailing them, only thing i dont like about the big models is a lack of details (okay you got aftermarket stuff... not my point) i mean you buy a 1/48 and you forgive them for not giving it an engine etc but when i buy a hasegawa 1/32 spitfire or bf109 no engine no moving control service (its actualy a scaled up version of their 1/48 models) and i feel disapointed i mean even monogram/revell had a model of a P-40 warhawk of the 1941 movie that had control service you could move up and down in the early 80's

tamiya is now making the cream of the crop in 1/32 and 1/48 i hope they will continue making them and that it wont be a flash in the pan

it all depends on what i want in a model if i want a model to fill my room and just be a bit of eyecandy i will build 1/48

if i like a particular aircraft i want it in 1/32 and make it as detailed as my skills and budget will allow

I started with 1/72 back in the days when we were largely limited to Airfix & Frog (oops I just dated myself). Now with a fairly large collection I don't have the display space to start building 1/48 let along 1/32 scale. A consistency of scale is also important to me so I guess I'm stuck with 72nd. Besides if comments are made about the lack of detailing in my models I can always blame it on the small scale.

rob