Those are some good bands!

I used Mr Surfacer 1200 thinned with Mr Leveling Thinner. I thin it a lot so that it sprays on wet. I build it up slowly and I don't go for 100% opacity. Just enough to check seams and give the color coats something to bite into.

and have you used tamiya flat base X21? I cannot find mr. thinner, so I tend to avoid using mr.surfacer through my airbrush...

I have that same model, F-8, and also Tamiya's F-8 with bomb set. I haven't build any of them, and I wonder which one to do? Can you compare /if you have build tamiya's/ and let me know?

Thanx!

I've built a tamiya a-4. Nice kit although the eduard has better detail. The tamiya is tricky around the cowling as are all 190A kits (i've also built the hasegawa).

The eduard will take more time and require more dry fitting. It can be tricky in the sense that there are various sub assemblies whose tolerances stack up.

For me, the eduard is the clear choice since it comes with PE, masks, thin decals and better surface detail. However it does require more care during assembly.

Build the Eduard first and you can use the left over decals on your tamiya. :wub:

I've also have tried flat base with future. My results were not that great. I use Vallejo model air flat varnish thinned with tamiya thinners. Practice the thinning ratio on an old model painted gloss black until it makes the black flat while not frosting.

• 4 weeks later...

Made some progress since the last time.

The step was replaced with some resistor leads. Its way easier than trying to clean up the plastic part which will most likely snap.

IMG_3843.jpg

Not sure about the amount protruding or the angle of the step. Its not glued so I can fix it if its wrong.

IMG_3846.jpg

Like my previous build, I replaced the gun barrels with 0.9mm plastic rod. Once again this is easier than cleaning up the kit pieces who have nasty mismatched seams. I also hollowed out the ends carefully with a tiny drill. I still haven't found a gun barrel color that works for me. Next time I'll try model master gun metal enamel.

IMG_3848.jpg

I'm near the end. Have to put on the pitot tube and lower antennas. Add some exhaust stains and gun stains and I'll be good to go.

IMG_3854.jpg

IMG_3853.jpg

WHOA!!!

Isaac..since I last came here the color has taken on a different meaning now that you have gotten the decals placed.

Looking very like a FW-190F8... :jaw-dropping: :P

I also like the idea of scuffing and staining around the exhaust and the gun which will give it that "aged" used authentic working aircraft look about it.

It will look FANTASTIC once the stains are in place and you have it ready for display{be sure to show your framed box art as well.Please, thank you} :wub: :wub:

HOLMES :salute:

Edited by HOLMES
Great job!

I want to ask: aren't the props of the F-8 wooden? If they are, the weathering wouldn't look like that, or I am wrong?

Also, will you add an antenna?

;)

Oh no! I just read wiki and well they say from the A8 onwards they could be fitted with wooden paddle blade props. I didn't use the paddle blade prop provided in the kit (they are identified as not for use). I hope that saves me!

Here is a pic showing the two types of prop provided in the kit.

eduard8173reviewbg_sprue5.jpg

Funny you should mention antennas. I was getting ready to put on the loop antenna when I realized there isn't anywhere to place it. I looked at my previous 190 and I started to think I sanded it off. Until i looked at the hyperscale review.

DSC_3119_fs.jpg

It doesn't have the little bump. Error on Eduard's part?

Also, I realize it probably didn't carry the Mk 103 cannon. They aren't glued on so there is a tiny chance I will change them for bombs.

Thank you for msg mitko!

Edited by Isaac
Oh no! I just read wiki and well they say from the A8 onwards they could be fitted with wooden paddle blade props. I didn't use the paddle blade prop provided in the kit (they are identified as not for use). I hope that saves me!

Here is a pic showing the two types of prop provided in the kit.

eduard8173reviewbg_sprue5.jpg

Funny you should mention antennas. I was getting ready to put on the loop antenna when I realized there isn't anywhere to place it. I looked at my previous 190 and I started to think I sanded it off. Until i looked at the hyperscale review.

DSC_3119_fs.jpg

It doesn't have the little bump. Error on Eduard's part?

Also, I realize it probably didn't carry the Mk 103 cannon. They aren't glued on so there is a tiny chance I will change them for bombs.

Thank you for msg mitko!

I meant the wire antenna ;)

Could you post some more pics please? I like what you've done with it

Your model looks great Issac!

About the prop...most F-8s used the metal props, it is possible some F-8s that were rebuilt after crashes/combat damage had the wooden prop blades fitted to them. It was the Fw 190A-9/F-9 that used the wooden prop blades but there are photographs of the A-9 showing at least a few of them used the metal prop.

Matrixone

Issac,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, when the F-8s left the factories they would most likely have had the DF loop installed, if they were not needed the ground crew would have removed them, the antenna under the wing does not seem to be used on the F-8 or F-9.

Matrixone

Edited by matrixone