Olfa Circle cutter

Though it's theoretically possible to do smaller circles by modifying the blade, by bending it inwards. It would be tricky to do, as the blades are brittle, but if you could blowtorch it, it might work. (obviously removing the blade from the meltable, flammable plastic tool first... :D).

Still, it's inexpensive, and does what it was designed to do. You're not going to use it every day (or even often), but when you need to make large-ish circles, it's invaluable, so it's something every modeller should add to their tool kit.

Scott,

It depends on what you plan to do with it. I really like mine. I have one that I use extensively for cutting out the wheelwells for model emergency vehicle cabs and bodies built from sheet plastic. Most of these are 1/25 scale, so the smaller size issue mentioned above is not a problem for me. It works great, but as with any new tool, requires some practice to master scoring a consistant circle. I do find that placing a few pieces of masking tape at your center point helps to keep the point from jumping loose, as well as from digging into the center of the disc that you are cutting. If you order it on-line, also plan on getting a supply of replacement blades(COB-1) because these are usually hard to find(at least in the Northeastern US) and you don't really want to have to pay as much for shipping as the item itself... Good luck. Let us know how you make out with it.

David

G'Day Scott. The tool is a good one. Its limitations are the min 1cm dia capability and the bar (yellow in your photo). The bar is flexible to a degree, so if you use it like a compas, the cut will start spiraling-in. So, use it by cutting a series of dashed lines around the perimeter, then link-up the dashed lines.

George, out................

I like the Olfa cutter a lot. I used to have an Xacto compass cutter and IMHO, the Olfa is a better tool.

That said, as others have pointed out, it does take some practice to learn to use it well and consistently. I find that a light touch is helpful--don't try to cut all the way through sheet styrene in one revolution. Also, if at all possible, I rotate the material being cut instead of the tool--I find it easier to maintain the proper consistent light pressure doing it that way.

• 4 years later...

Just discovered this tool! :thumbsup:

It did a great job on cutting discs from 0.020 Evergreen sheet. As noted, rotating the material was best for making the light scoring cuts that eventually cut a clean circle!