Bf 109E-1 colors

I'm finishing up my Eduard 1/32 fit which has been a lot of fun. I wanted to get some color feedback on the RLM 65/02/71 scheme you see below. Btw this was all airbrushed.

I used Gunze acrylics matches fo the 02/71. I thought maybe the 71 doesn't look quite green enough. I actually tried a little postshading with some heavily thinned Tamiya xf26 but it completely dissapeared under a gloss coat of Future and subsequent flat coat.

The RLM 65 was a mixture of Tamiya xf23 and white. Thought it might be a little light. I did some preshading here that I really liked but it doesn't really show in the photos.

f8529f36.jpg

eba059c9.jpg

ef3cce73.jpg

c353a601.jpg

I should also mention I did a Promodeler wash.

tell me what you guys think of the colors and paintjob. Critique away.

Edited by toadwbg
Toad..it's your thread in the critique corner so I wouldn't want to hijack...but do you wanna see how bad it is? (just took a shot of my

Hasegawa sitting on top of the colour card from Merrick Vol 2) :)

Heck YEAH! Recall that Color Nazi's are welcome to this thread (Sergent Schultz voice "I know nothing...NOTHING!)

:whistle:

I also just relaized this RLM71 looks a lot greener in the pics above than the real thing, at least on my LCD monitor. Looks more Olive in person.

Edited by toadwbg
Ok folks gird your loins :)

DSC_0004.jpg

I'm really bad with colour theory (except for knowing yellow + blue = green :whistle: )...but what colour would

you add to get it darker...is it as simple as adding black?

Maybe it's my monitor or the picture, but 71,72,73 all look about the same to me in your pic!

Looks pretty good to me. Would be interesting to see it against some RLM 70. When you look at photos there's not much contrast between 70 and 71 but most paint companies don't seem to get that. Of course some of that may be the B&W film too.

Looks pretty good to me. Would be interesting to see it against some RLM 70. When you look at photos there's not much contrast between 70 and 71 but most paint companies don't seem to get that. Of course some of that may be the B&W film too.

The prop an spinner is RLM70. I used Tamiya XF27 for that. Here's some pics hopfully showing more of the contrast.

f064db64.jpg

d9feb4d7.jpg

e09170d7.jpg

284a9a2b.jpg

Edited by toadwbg
The RLM 65 looks great. Looks similar if not identical to the Gunze.

I have a bottle of the gunze and mixed Tamiya to match. I did the same with the RLM 02. This was part of the fun to prove I could do that.

Hey Toad,

that looks very good - I think you nailed the colors just fine. Green and that gunky 02 , and the blue look about right!

But there is a small detail that I noticed..

You have this thing painted in a scheme that represents the early phases of the Battle of Britian or late in the phoney war. They haven't started camoing the sides with mottle or using the yellow noses yet.

I have seen quite a few photos and one thing sticks out - for these early emils.. They typically do not have any headrest armor present. It's not uncommon to find the early style canopy with no armor clear into the late battle of Britian! But the square canopy always seems to have it. While this is an obscure detail, a real "one O nine" fanatic such as myself will notice. Other than maybe six of us - no one else would notice at all.

Less obscure.. The hub part that shows at the prop base was typically silver metal in color (not painted green).

Other than that - I think it's look absolutely spot on.

Regards,

Frank

Edited by FrankC