1/48 F-16D Blk 52+ Hellenic Viper

Hi all,

This is the first WIP that I have posted on ARC.

My next build is going to be Hellenic AF F-16D Blk 52+ '603' of 340"Fox"Mira based at Souda AB.

ee.jpg

I'm using Hasegawa's boxing of the F-16D Blk50 as the base kit

HellenicF-16D.jpg

Then throwing this lot at it

CMK's Blk 52+ Euro conversion & Isracasts 600GAL Drop Tanks

HellenicF-16D002.jpg

Aires F-16D Cockpit and Blk52 P&W Exhaust nozzle

HellenicF-16D003.jpg

Aires F16 Wheel Bays & Radar Antenna

HellenicF-16D004.jpg

and

Icarus Production Hellenic Jets Part 1

HellenicF-16D005.jpg

the weapons and LANTRIN will be coming from Hasegawa's Weapons Set "D" and Revell's Eurofighter Typhoon(IRIS-T)

Will hopefully get things underway later this week

Scott

Edited by scotthldr
Nice!!

Looking forward to this one. Not going to ask how much all that cost!!

David

The kit was given to me as a Christmas present in 2008 and the decals I bought originally for my A7 last year, so only the resin stuff has been bought for this build. It still adds though, modelling is getting rather expensive nowadays.

I wonder if the radar set exterior has changed over time.

That was an area I was concerned about as well, but from the photos I can find it looks very similiar if not the same. I would imagine any updates/upgrades over the years would be to the software as the actual radar antenna still has to fit inside the fuselage/nose. If I'm wrong please tell me.

This is going to be an interesting subject.

Have you checked if the kit provides both types of intakes? The greek -52 D's have the PW engine and thus the small intake (while the blk-50 - like the kit- has the MCID one).

Both intakes are provided :(

• 2 weeks later...

Progress update, no real worries so far and it looks like it's going to be a straight forward build, until the painting anyway which may prove difficult to capture the "Have Glass" paint finish.

The Aires cockpit doesn't seem to be researched properly and the instructions are vague, as the seat harnesses on the real ACESII seat wind back into the seat when not in use, not loose on the seat as you see here. I might try and fix it later, anyway cockpit is 90% complete with just some PE to add at the end.

HellenicF-16D001.jpg

HellenicF-16D002-1.jpg

Next up was to remove the fuselage moulded IP combings and the area in front of the cockpit to able the fitment of the CMK corrected part with the "Bird Slicers"

HellenicF-16D003-1.jpg

and after

HellenicF-16D005-1.jpg

The CMK part had to be adapted itself to allow the Aires cockpit to fit with the removal of the IP combing from the CMK part. As can be seen the CMK part is solid so 3mm had to be kit off the front of the cockpit tub to allow everything to fit.

HellenicF-16D004-1.jpg

It was then onto the wheel bays. The kit moulded ones are fairly basic, so these were replaced with the Aires ones

Kit moulded

HellenicF-16D007.jpg

Aires replacement

HellenicF-16D006.jpg

The fuselage halves were then joined together with the cockpit in place. Considering that there is parts from 3 different manufacturers around the cockpit area, the fit is very good and only a spligen of filler will be required in this area.

HellenicF-16D008.jpg

HellenicF-16D009.jpg

The next step will be the engine intake which would've given me a big headache, but I've decided to go with an Intake FOD cover to save any problems and time. The exhaust and wings will be built up over the next couple of days as well.

Scott

Nice progress Scott!

Does the HAF F-16's don't have an entire black cockpit like the Sufa's?

Looking forward to your intake cover, I also want to make a FOD cover, so I can steal some idea's from you <_<

Remy..

• 4 weeks later...

After having a break for a couple of weeks I managed to pick this one back up this week.

All the seams along the fuselage have been filled and smoothed, with the area under the intake and around the main wheelbay putting up a fight.

I've also been waiting for another Aires exhaust as the one for the Kinetic kits don't fit the Hasegawa kits, despite people telling you they do :mad: I had to wait until this arrived as I couldn't proceed any further until part of it was fixed to the fuselage. Anyway here is where the build is at the mo.

HellenicF-16D010.jpg

The radar antenna fitted. A tricky bit of filling and sanding required to get it flush.

HellenicF-16D011.jpg

A bit of filler required in this area where the spine blends into the back of the Canopy bulkhead, it's a lot better and more profiled than the photos makes out.

HellenicF-16D014.jpg

The Aires exhaust housing in place, this one fits

HellenicF-16D015.jpg

Fair bit of filler required underneath to get everything smooth

HellenicF-16D013.jpg

HellenicF-16D012.jpg

Scott

Nice progress Scott!

I'm building a Sufa right now (hasegawa / isracast) and I'm in the same stage as you..

Does de CMK conversion also include the block 52+ wheels? If not I can recommend you Harold's wheels they are so nice! (i'm using these for the Sufa)..

Remy..

• 2 weeks later...

Another small progress update.

The avionics spine has been attached and any gaps have been filled and smoothed off. The tail has been attached as well, but before so it had to be straightened out as it was warped. The various antenna have been added along the spine but aerials have been left off until final assembly. The wings have been attached and required quite a lot of filler on the seams/joins.

HellenicF-16D022.jpg

HellenicF-16D020.jpg

HellenicF-16D019.jpg

The Exhaust has been built up and finished and awaits attachment during final assembly. The exhaust feathers have been finished off using Carbon Fibre 1/48 decal sheet.

HellenicF-16D016.jpg

HellenicF-16D021.jpg

HellenicF-16D017.jpg

Comments welcome

Scott