Kfz.385 airfield fuel tanker (Italeri, 1/35)

Hello folks,

here´s some work in progress from my Kfz.385 "Kesselwagen". It is supposed to sit next to a Me 262 in a diorama, when finished.

3030643465336631.jpg

There are some new parts, which are specific for the Kfz.385, the rest is similar to the well known Italeri kits of the Opel Blitz "Funkkoffer" and Opel Blitz with "Einheitsführerhaus".

A problem with this kit is, that the radiator grill is similar to the kit of the Opel Blitz with "Einheitsführerhaus", so it comes without the "Opel Blitz" emblem. But the Kfz.385 normally had this emblem on the radiator grill.

So I asked the german importer for Italeri kits for the radiator grill of the standard Opel Blitz kit, because it has the emblem. And I was lucky, only a few days later I found the part in my mailbox.

I carefully cut out the emblem and sanded it down, so I could glue it in place.

3563386231393233.jpg

The pedals aren´t reproduced very nice in the kit:

:)

3763613430336230.jpg

So I had to take action on it. I filed off the pedals and rebuilt them with 0,1 mm aluminium sheet, which I cut with nail scissors and a scalpel. I think this looks much nicer than before. ;)

3834643537383531.jpg

The kit´s seat is absolutely smooth, I didn´t like this. Also there was a recess between the driver´s seat and the co-driver´s seat, which the kit´s part doesn´t consider. I engraved this recess and upholstered the bench with pieces of a tissue and diluted wood glue, to give it more structure. After this was dry, I painted the base colour, Revell Aqua 84 leather brown.

6666386238366331.jpg

To give the bench an outworn look, I used artist oil paints, which I painted wet on wet. First I accentuated the edges with black oil paint, like a kind of preshading.

3034323365666637.jpg

Then I applied burnt umber, from the center outwards, being careful that the transition between the black and the burnt umber is smooth.

3837353061373737.jpg

In the end I placed a touch of burnt sienna in the centre and carefully smudged the paint, so especially the seating would look more worn.

3536643530613765.jpg

After the oil paint will be dried thoroughly, I´ll do some slightly drybrushing, to accentuate the crinkles.

Greetings from Germany

Phil

Edited by Stormbird262