F-22 and Sidewinders

Guys,

Quick question regarding the F-22 (I'm an optimist) - with AIM-9s fitted with no power on the jet, are the protective caps fited to the seeker heads? In this case, are the missile bays open and the missile rails extended?

Cheers,

Greg

Guys,

Quick question regarding the F-22 (I'm an optimist) - with AIM-9s fitted with no power on the jet, are the protective caps fited to the seeker heads? In this case, are the missile bays open and the missile rails extended?

Cheers,

Greg

Protector caps are always fitted when on the ground as the seeker heads are always active even when no ground power iirc.

Seeker heads ARE NOT active unless the aircraft has power and the stations are armed in the cockpit. The seeker covers are installed when power it not applied to the aircraft because they keep the seeker inside from bouncing around and beating itself to death. The seeker is a free floater until power it applied to the missile, the cover keeps the seeker locked to the center position and when power is applied to the plane the seeker head is then locked, allowing the cover to be removed. If you pull the cover when power it not applied to the plane you will see the seeker in side bouncing around.

Reddog

Seeker heads ARE NOT active unless the aircraft has power and the stations are armed in the cockpit. The seeker covers are installed when power it not applied to the aircraft because they keep the seeker inside from bouncing around and beating itself to death. The seeker is a free floater until power it applied to the missile, the cover keeps the seeker locked to the center position and when power is applied to the plane the seeker head is then locked, allowing the cover to be removed. If you pull the cover when power it not applied to the plane you will see the seeker in side bouncing around.

Reddog

Sorry,that's what I meant...It's been over 14 years since I last touched a 'Winder!