Saab Sk35C Caesar Draken

beautiful NMF and weathering the only thing that stands out in the photos is mold line on the trailing edge of the flap. :banana:

I think they collet elevens on delta wings, on Drakens these are quite thick and engraved in the middle, sctually there is also a small lamp inside of the trailing edge. So I engraved it the more I could as an added detail.

Wow nice one!!

Lovely BMF. I would tone down the red stripes though.

David

Thank you David.

I think there should be a difference betwheen old NMF and new painted fluorescent red.

Airframe was build in the early '60 and never painted, aluminium become very flat and dirty.

Red bands were added in late '90 a few years before it was retired from service.

Check photos on FAOW book to see what I'm talking about.

A few photos are visible here:

http://www.hlj.com/product/BUNFA77

Cheers

Paolo

Absolutely fabulous, Draken Master! What a joy to behold!

100% with you for the screaming red and the deep groove on the flap. You are spot on.

My only petty remark is I think that you placed the ghost squadron insigna on the tail too much to the left on port side. Its placement varied from aircraft to aircraft. On #89, the middle of it appears to be aligned with the rightmost side of the 9. The 89 itself might be a bit too much to the right. See page 15 of Saab 35 Draken by Jan Jorgensen/Airlife.

Edited by Voltaire
You were not tempted to paint the eyes of the instructor's periscope? I dunno if they were as visible on #89 as on the shot below though.

DrakenPeriscope.jpg

yes, I was going to cut two small circles of black decals with punch and die but they looks green in your photos, any suggestion on best color to use?

TIA

PAolo

you did excellent panel shading Paolo, but maybe the roundels and red strips are a bit too bright and new, but it's only my personal opinion, as I don't know whether this Saab in reality had freshly painted these details over worn out surface?

anyway, very clean work... and I like it especially because of being 2-seater - somehow I prefer Saab-35 2-seater version over single seater! ;)

regards,

Srdjan

Here is a better view of the periscope, taken in a hangar. The green hue in the other shot above might actually come from a green reflection of surroundings (grass/trees)...

periscopedraken2.jpg

Thank you very much, dark gray looks liek a suitable option now!

Hi Paolo,

Great work as usual! I think you have captured the raw and greyish metal look of Saab´s aircraft. It is maybe a bit bright just around the canopy. The crown markings are a bit too bright, I wish Eli would release a decal set consisting of Swedish Air Force insignias and numbers, because his decals have much more accurate color than Hasegawa or TwoBobs.

O´l 89 is a favourite! Impressive work!

Martin

Hi Paolo,

Great work as usual! I think you have captured the raw and greyish metal look of Saab´s aircraft. It is maybe a bit bright just around the canopy. The crown markings are a bit too bright, I wish Eli would release a decal set consisting of Swedish Air Force insignias and numbers, because his decals have much more accurate color than Hasegawa or TwoBobs.

O´l 89 is a favourite! Impressive work!

Martin

Hi Martin, nice to ear from you again!

You are absolutely right about the blu of the roundle, I used Hasegawa ones and these are a bit too much on the light side.

Aluminium around the canopy is too bright since I had to use a few stripes of tape aluminium that has that shade.

Ciao and keep in touch!

Paolo

Paolo, you did great! It looks like a new Hasegawa kit and not a conversion. Very well built, especially considering the metal color coat.

I will absolutely keep in touch. I´ve had my plate full for a while but I am slowly returning!

Your collection of F-104s and J35s is fantastic and inspirational. I am quite envious! :) Have you decided on what´s next?

Cheers

Martin