Massive 1/18th Tomcat

This shot highlights some of the panel line corrections and rivet enhancements. Threw in a 1/144 F-14A to show how big this thing really is!

GEF-110Rework5a.jpg

Another shot with a little 1/144 F-100 Super Sabre perched on the Cat.

DSCN0061a.jpg

Edited by mcaulk

The engine shrouds on the B/D had a row of fasteners around the entire circumference. These appear to be some sort of silver/aluminum recessed screws so I have to drill out these points about 24 per engine. I'm thinking I'll probably punch some thick foil and insert these in the drilled holes. Will post the results good or bad.

f14-detail-engine-20xla.jpg

GEF-110Rework3a.jpg

f-14d_159600_christine_parts_135_of_354.jpg

Edited by mcaulk

The stock JSI Tomcat comes as an A with the Pratt & Whitney engine nozzles. A now defunct after-market company made a fairly credible resin replacement for the GE F-110 nozzles. They however are not perfect.

They are to large and to straight. The real thing is more rounded so being the fanatic that I am I picked up a couple copies and modified them the old fashioned way... scraping, sanding. They came out pretty good but the final proof will be after they are painted. I will include a shot with the 2 side by side.

StockGEF-110a.jpg

GEF-110Rework2a.jpg

Edited by mcaulk

Guys,

It has been awhile since did any work on the big cat. We lost 2 children in less than a month and I am just getting motivate to work at the hobby. Hope to finish the project this summer before school starts so here goes with a first installment.

Welcome back! However, I need to make sure I didn't misunderstand what you said. Did you say you lost two of your own children in less than a month, or 2 school children? If they were your own, I can't imagine going through that. I'd be a blubbering, useless mess for the foreseeable future. You seem to have grace to deal with it.

Edited by Darren Roberts

Darren,

In early October my middle son Jamie was killed just outside Nashville in a car crash. 4 weeks later my 3 month old granddaughter Lillian just stopped breathing in her crib. You never get over something like this but you have to carry on and I'm trusting with God's help and the "normal" of being absorbed in modeling will help.

Thanks you for asking.

Mike

1122_Lillian_Caulk-thumb-200x219-95339.jpg

Jamie_Caulk-thumb-150x209-91967.jpg

Edited by mcaulk

The vents on top of the fuselage required lots of scraping to give them a more convincing depth. This is the kind of chore that demands mind numbing repetitious effort but adds to the illusion and therefore worth the energy expenditure.

DSCN0196.jpg

Geez Mike, hang in there. We are all very sorry to hear about your devastating losses. Modeling therapy sounds like just the ticket to help you through this- and your work is excellent as always.

Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks for the support and encouragement. Jamie was a great kid and the little girl was just perfect. A very sad time for my family.

Hey, I am considering your salt weathering technique which you worked to perfection with the Grim Reapers CAG bird you did last year.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/rh/articles.php?id=16567

As you know the Tomcat TPS paint scheme became a mess in very short order at sea and your system captures that look like none I have seen.

Having never done it I am a little intimidated so I may have a question or two. Have about a week of work before painting so till then take care.

Mike

Chuck,

I already have a question.

The forward fuselage has been painted, lightly weathered (dry brushing) and Tamiya smoke in the panel lines and sealed. I sealed it with Testors flat finish right out of a rattle can. Do you think this coating is sufficient to hold up to the salt application? Sure don't want to start over.

Regards,

Mike

PortOffice.jpg

Chuck,

I already have a question.

The forward fuselage has been painted, lightly weathered (dry brushing) and Tamiya smoke in the panel lines and sealed. I sealed it with Testors flat finish right out of a rattle can. Do you think this coating is sufficient to hold up to the salt application? Sure don't want to start over.

Regards,

Mike

Mike,

First off, that front windscreen, canopy and paint job is Gorgeous! Wow! :thumbsup:

What type of paint are you using? I use enamels or lacquers exclusively, so I need a good coat of acrylic Future to seal the paint before I attempt salt weathering. The reason for this is that the Future provides a base that you can wipe off any paint that you don't want with solvent, like on decals or even to start over if you don't like what you see without worrying about ruining your base layers of paint- which already look great. If you haven't seen it already, I have a pinned tutorial on how to salt weather here:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=171765

Make sure you scroll right to the end, because I have a few other examples of variations of the salt weathering process on more recent builds than the Tomcat. What I would do in your case, is to lightly sand the flat coat with 1500-2000 grit sandpaper to get the surface nice and smooth, then apply a good coat of Future to prep the paint.

Here's my Number 1 Tip: Practice on a scrap piece of plastic, painted with the same coats that your Tomcat already has. Once you get the hang of things, you can dive right in with confidence.

Also, check out Jesse's F-14 build here:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=245343&st=160

and Brian's P-40 build here:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=242880&st=20

They both nailed the salt weathered look on what appears to be their first try. :thumbsup:

PM me with questions any time you want. There's always something that I may have missed in my tutorial.

Edited by chuck540z3

Beautiful work, my friend. I love this build.

I want to offer my deepest condolences and prayers for you and your family. What you have gone through is terrible beyond words. I know what it means to suffer a familly tragedy.

God love you.

Major,

Thanks for the understanding words. I can't imagine how people get through things like this without faith in God and the support of others who have too had to bear the unbearable.

Thank you,

Mike

Chuck,

Thank you for the response and inspiration. Your salt weathering reproduces what these jets really look like better than anything I have seen to date. To many models have a pristine almost toy-like appearance. How did it occur to you to use salt?

Regards,

Mike

Chuck,

Thank you for the response and inspiration. Your salt weathering reproduces what these jets really look like better than anything I have seen to date. To many models have a pristine almost toy-like appearance. How did it occur to you to use salt?

Regards,

Mike

Although I'd like to claim that I invented this method, the reality is that it's a fairly well known weathering technique, but I find that not that many people use it. My guess is that after countless hours of assembly and careful painting, the risk of screwing up far outweighs the possible outcome, so folks tend to shy away from actually trying it. Well, as the saying goes, "No Guts, No Glory!" :P

The first time I encountered this method was here at ARC under one of the Tools 'n Tips articles, by "Salty Dog" here...

http://www.arcair.com/tnt1/101-200/tnt158-weathering-Saltydog/00.shtm

Salty Dog uses acrylics, so my method is an adaptation using enamels and a few other changes. The really fun thing is that I've done this now at least 4 different ways and I've always been very happy with the results. Some guys are really good at making the TPS scheme look fairly realistic using just their air brush, but nothing matches the random nature and look of salt masking.

My deepest condolences for your loss Mike! I don't really know what to say ....

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I can only say I hope and pray that the lord almighty knows why he allowed this to happen and that one fine day we will all understand, if not in this life then whenever/wherever and in whatever way he thinks is right for us. I hope and trust that what the bible says is right and he really never allows to burden us with more than we can carry.

Can't really say anything about modelling right now, just that the metal engines are despite the loooooooong wait not off the table after all. The maker just had to face his own burdens which kept him from continuing work on them but he definitely plans to release them.

Not that this matters right now.

Don't give it up pal.

HI Mike,

First I want to express my deepest condolences with your losses. These are terrible things to happen, but as Christian we know that the Lord had need of them, and they are where we want to end up. You will be with them one day.

With modeling, I am thoroughly blown away at the scope of your project and your scratch building ability. A detail you might look at if you have not already seen them is PE fastener head details from

www.scalehardware.com

They have sheets of the different head styles, patterns , etc, as well as other detailed parts. Glad you are back at it.

Gary

Gary,

Thank you for taking the time to express care, concern and hope.

We are a Christian family and have confidence that we will be with Jamie and Lillian when we inevitably leave this temporary world.

Don't pretend to understand why this happened but I know that even heaven is a better place because my son and granddaughter are there.

Thanks again,

Hi Mike!

First I want to express my deepest condolences. Your losses are so big that I can not even imagine. Please hang in there!

Modeling should help in your pain. I´m glad that you are back with your build.

I started my big Tomcat build long time ago, but I was stopt too. The doctors finded canser inside me and I was geting raf threatment for a long time. I´m not well yet but I too started to make model to ease my thoughts.

So :thumbsup: and let´s do what we cane!

Best regardes. Marek

Hi Mike!

First I want to express my deepest condolences. Your losses are so big that I can not even imagine. Please hang in there!

Modeling should help in your pain. I´m glad that you are back with your build.

I started my big Tomcat build long time ago, but I was stopt too. The doctors finded canser inside me and I was geting raf threatment for a long time. I´m not well yet but I too started to make model to ease my thoughts.

So :thumbsup: and let´s do what we cane!

Best regardes. Marek

Marek,

I'm so sorry to learn of your illness. I will be praying for you to be cancer free and make a complete 100% recovery! We need you around a lot longer so hang in there!

Mike

Marek,

I'm so sorry to learn of your illness. I will be praying for you to be cancer free and make a complete 100% recovery! We need you around a lot longer so hang in there!

Mike

Thank you Mike. That is live. One never know what´s next :bandhead2:

Mike, you and your's have my prayers and condolences ... :pray:

-Gregg

Gregg,

Both are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to offer kind words. They mean much to me and the rest of my family.

Sincerely,

Mike