Tamiya FW190D-9

Well I am debating getting the MDC sets. I was also thinking of just waiting for the Eduard Dora but in reading the review and looking at the pictures in a thread on this site it seems the Eduard kit has it's issues like the canopy, upper gun cover buldges, etc. So I am just not sure what to do.

Well I am debating getting the MDC sets. I was also thinking of just waiting for the Eduard Dora but in reading the review and looking at the pictures in a thread on this site it seems the Eduard kit has it's issues like the canopy, upper gun cover buldges, etc. So I am just not sure what to do.

MESHER,

I'm debating as well. I've been eagerly anticipating Eduard's Dora ever since it was announced. For some reason I have only recently (past 2 weeks) read about the shape issues of Eduard's 190 A kits and now it is clear that these issues have found their way into the Dora kit. So just like you, I'm thinking of sticking trying the MDC set. From what I understand, the MDC set is designed to fit Tamiya's Dora.

I wish Hasegawa would hurry up and produce a 1/48 Dora... But who knows... We may not be able to afford it considering all the pricing issues surrounding Hasegawa kits.

William

Hi guys

The problem is that there is no guarantee that Hasegawa would do any better than Eduard or Tamiya. I was looking at the Eagle Editions web site and according to Jerry Crandall the Hasegawa 1/32 Fw 190 D-9's machine gun cowl, gun troughs and radiator cowls are inaccurate as well. So what does one do? The Tamiya kit for what I have read has a host of errors, including the lower wings of a D-13, short main landing gear legs, small main wheels, a small and pointy spinner and a wrongly shaped propeller. I am under the impression that they have corrected some of these mistakes such as the lower wing in their newer releases but generally I would think that it would be easier and less expensive to correct with aftermarket parts the machine gun cowl and canopy of the Eduard offering than correct with aftermarket parts all the above errors of the Tamiya version.

Horrido!

Leo

Edited by Leo Etgen
according to Jerry Crandall the Hasegawa 1/32 Fw 190 D-9's machine gun cowl, gun troughs and radiator cowls are inaccurate as well.

At this point I think it's a given that no model manufacturer is ever going to be able to do an Fw190D correctly. Jerry Crandall and those of his ilk will *always* find something wrong with them. Pretty amazing given the tiny number of them built and the utterly insignificant part they played in the war that so much attention is lavished on them.

J

What?.....I changed Pauls mind on resin? :o Just kidding. It's truly very nice quality stuff. The funny thing is that I haven't really seen any of the regular Internet shops marketing their products here in the States, which truly is a shame. Still, when you order directly from them and see how ridiculously reasonable the shipping charges are from the UK you'll think it's somehow a mistake even though it's not. Bob (can't remember his last name) at MDC was gracious enough to send me their Ju 52 float kit gratis last year to trade for marketing their product with a publication build I did in December for SAMI. Although I am not affiliated with MDC in the least I cannot say enough good things about this product. I have several of their Bf 109G-6A/S conversion kits and have used their Bf 109 resin cockpits with equal satisfaction. Again...the mystery to me is why MDC is so popular in the UK and other parts yet has no representation to speak of here in the US. Whoa.....did I just discover a side gig to market for them? :)

Sincerely,

Greg

PS ~ Hope you and yours down there are fairing well after the big storm yesterday. I understand it was pretty intense to say the least.

PS ~ Hope you and yours down there are fairing well after the big storm yesterday. I understand it was pretty intense to say the least.
Still raining here. We (the town) was flooded on 3 sides. SWMBO's a UPS driver so she's hating life. I'm a Mr. Mom so I was digging it until the water started to creast over the patio slab.

Yikes...sorry to hear that it's still raining. Finally cleared out here in the Bay Area late this morning....at least where I work up near San Francisco....but my SWMBO ran into a thunder and hail storm out in the east foothills of San Jose this evening when meeting the girls for their night out. Crazy weather to be sure and I do feel sorry for those who've suffered losses.

Greg