Inside the box of the F-5E of the AFV Club

I'm just glad that AFV Club is producing aircraft models! They've made some great choices over the years as far as armor models go (M88, M548 & Weisel are models I'm not sure anybody else would have produced) and their quality has been pretty good over the years. Hopefully, their model choices will fill a niche and not simply be yet another F-16/F-18/et al!

Strange parts break down on the forward fuselage. Three pieces seems like one more than is needed.

I wish the boxing came with the option for new style and old wing fillets as well as the extended tail fillet. I realise that other boxing will probably have it but the extra parts would have been nice.

Looks like I better pre-order one.

I am not an F-5 expert, but may be the three nose parts are useful for a future RF-5E Tigereye or for the chilean upgraded TigreIII?......it seems that more versions will be squeezed from this molds........Good news!

I can't seem to find the burner cans. Am I missing them? I'm going to work up a cover set (intake, nozzle, probes) for it, but I really hope they included burner cans. That's one thing about the Monogram kit I could never understand. You look in the nozzles and see all the way forward.

Why the hell are people so enamored with embedding music in their web pages? Just because *you* like something doesn't mean anyone else does. :angry:

I can't seem to find the burner cans. Am I missing them?

I'm pretty sure they're the round bits below the poly caps, in the cockpit tub shot. Part(s) T, per the instructions. Looks like the fan/ring is one of the three round pieces at the top of the drop tank sprue.

Also, re: the three nose pieces... I think you'll find they're left/right and bottom. Thus preserving panel line detail on the essentially-flat bottom.

Interesting that they seem to have done a slide-mold insert for the tail fin. I'm assuming it's to get a curve in the rudder attachment slot, so you can actually pose it deflected without having to file/sand/fill anything. Nice touch, if a little OCD.

Strange parts break down on the forward fuselage. Three pieces seems like one more than is needed.

Bottom of the fuselage is fairly flat. Made in two halves you'd get the classic diappearing panel lines on the belly as is commonly acause of complaint.

Shane

I was right, nothing for the open gun bay. I ask you - why the hell would they go through the trouble of designing a kit with open panels and not give you something to put in there? That's just stupid as it brings a lot of fit issues into the mix. Personally I think they should have included a closed up port side even if they did include the interior just for those of us that want the aircraft buttoned up. After all, they have a few other options like doors and nose gear. Also that canopy is way too squashed, flat in cross section.

The kit is not unbuildable but when from a 90% there to about a 70%.

Edited by Fuji