Inside the box of the F-5E of the AFV Club

ok, time for the dumb question. since i really don't know the detailed specifics between the two aircraft, looking at their parts break down, is it possible for them to provide alternate parts (i.e. intakes rear engine area etc...) to produce a 48 scale T-38 out of this? or are those planes way too different in all areas to accomplish that. sorry if this seems stupid, i just really don't know what all the differences are.

Bill

ok, time for the dumb question. since i really don't know the detailed specifics between the two aircraft, looking at their parts break down, is it possible for them to provide alternate parts (i.e. intakes rear engine area etc...) to produce a 48 scale T-38 out of this? or are those planes way too different in all areas to accomplish that. sorry if this seems stupid, i just really don't know what all the differences are.

Bill

For a T-38 you'd have to start with an F-5A/B airframe

Here's a pic of assembled & painted cockpit. Everything is OOB except the scratch-built harness. No resin or PE parts!!!

Gee, if I didn't know better I'd say that was the Monogram kit from 35 years ago :) The Monogram cockpit was every bit that good. Thirty-five years ago.

J

'Cause they're either releasing a kit with a resin bay, or are working with an aftermarket manufacturer who will be?

(based on their MO in the armor world...)

The aftermarket manufacturer probably will be Hobby Fan. AFV Club and Hobby Fan belong to the same parent company. Many of the AFV Club releases have special add-ons from Hobby Fan in the first release.

Thomas

F-5 just landed. (thanks Stephen)

I haven't had time to check it out much yet. I just looked through the bags.

The "rivets" are all over it, but I think they will be fine after paint. (hopefully) The undercarriage looks very nice, including the wheels.

The pit is...well, OK.

The side panels are nice, but the IP gauges are a bit thick, with dials that will look a bit odd after painting. (probably)

The seat(s) are a very simple early version.

So, as far as I can see, the pit needs a better IP, both versions of the seats, details on the rear deck, behind the seat (but the actuators are very well done).

When I have more time, I will post more.

Harold

Here's a possibly silly question - could this be converted into an X-29 with new wings and other details? I know it had F-16 landing gear, so does that mean the aft fuselage is completely different from the F-5 or did they just cram the gear in there?

Just received the kit today.

How could I explain it?

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

STUNNNING!!!!!!!!

AARRGHH! This is killing me! Where are you guys getting your kits from? I have been unable to find anyone in the US who has them! Please help! Fred K.

Here's a possibly silly question - could this be converted into an X-29 with new wings and other details? I know it had F-16 landing gear, so does that mean the aft fuselage is completely different from the F-5 or did they just cram the gear in there?

Bigger issue is that the X-29 had one (Hornet) engine, so the aft fuselage was completely different from the F-5. Plus a new tail. And intakes. And forward fuselage. I think the canopy was the same, though.

But apart from the new wings, landing gear, aft fuselage, intakes, forward fuselage, tail and canards, it is almost EXACTLY the same. :thumbsup:

Really, it's kind of like the legacy vs. super hornets, or f-16 vs. F-2 - similar looking at first glance, but very different in the details. You'd probably be better off starting with an F-20 kit to make the X-29... and even THAT would be a ton of work.

AARRGHH! This is killing me! Where are you guys getting your kits from? I have been unable to find anyone in the US who has them! Please help! Fred K.

Hello fred.

I've got my first one today from Hobbyeasy.

The second was just shipped from Raymond yesterday.

I've just scaled-up F-5E Tiger II blue/grey Saint markings in 1/48 tonight. :thumbsup: