1:48 F-15DJ Hasegawa

The free-hand application of the camo unfortunately forced me to keep the airbrush close to the surface and use a low pressure, which caused most of the preshading to disappear. The resulting colors are thus too monotonous and uninteresting. As I had planned, however, I tried to do some postshading to give some life to the model. Here I am trying to adopt Honza's technique but I've got long ways to go.

Here is a picture with the green postshaded (light and dark tones), while the black has only the lighter color:

IMG_3502.JPG

Same state as above:

IMG_3505.JPG

Then, I applied the 'darkened' black (Mr color black mixed with Tamiya smoke) to complete the postshading:

IMG_3508.JPG

IMG_3509.JPG

IMG_3510.JPG

IMG_3511.JPG

IMG_3506.JPG

Unfortunately, I don't have the courage to apply a thin light color along the panel lines as suggested in the previous page. I am still debating if what I currently have is ok, or there is room for improvement/correction. Any ideas would be very welcome. The weathering I am experimenting with does not really reflect the reality as the pictures of the real plane I see show mostly a clean, fresh paint on this plane.

Edited by zidane

Thank you Honza. I am trying to apply the tricks I learn from your posts, they have been very helpful. If I may ask, do you have any suggestions based on what you can see? Your recommendations would be great for my improvement.

Edited by zidane

Thank you too Zidane. I thing that shading is OK. After wash will be cool. This machine is on fotos almost new.

I have little note for airbrush. If you using GSI-C colors, try to mix color with thinner 1/3-4 for thinner and lower

pressure. Around 0,8 ATM and try to put down the diffusor from gun. You have little mutch of scatter. (green and black in grey).

But finally it looks very cool.

Edited by Honza K.

Zidane,

Your progress is a joy to behold; the efforts you've taken to represent such an interesting scheme have been well-rewarded. Other than a panel line wash, I wouldn't fuss too much more with the finish, as it just looks so good. Please keep us updated with more pics as you continue (I'm really curious to see what the jet will look like once the masking comes off).

Cheers,

Andrew.

AWESOME!!!

Your shading job is very very nice!

As for me, i would proceed to a wash, but not so dark, a dark grey maybe.

So it would be darker on the green and grey, and lighter on the black.

I have a F-15DJ in my stock at 32nd scale, using the revell boxing...

I will enjoy this painting stage!:

bye

Wow, now this is cool. You don't see hardly any JASDF jet being build online. I love the step-by-step visual process in those photos. Super nice job on the painting. It's going to be a master piece ;)

Mike

Thank you very much all for your feedback. Honza, you were right about thinning GSI colors. I was aiming for the milk consistency but I tried your tip of thinning it even more. It does make a noticeable difference.

I removed the thin masks and I am nearing the gloss coat. I have a few places to be painted grey but other than those, I think I am not going to do any further shading. Does that sound about right?

IMG_3516.JPG

IMG_3517.JPG

IMG_3518.JPG

IMG_3519.JPG

IMG_3520.JPG

Edited by zidane