• 1 - Life Air Rescue
    • 2 - Duke Life Flight
    • 3 - Memorial MedFlight
    • 4 - Atlantic Air Ambulance
    • 5 - Northwest MedStar
    • 6 - Airlift Northwest
    • Other

Hello~

I realize that the Rescue GB does not get underway for a couple of weeks but I need to finalize which aircraft I am going to build... If you have another idea... please note it in your response.

t870g9ql.jpg

P.S. I plan on doing them all during the next couple of years... this is just a vote for the Rescue GB bird

Edited by Remington Box
My vote is for #6.

Why? It's my local medevac here in the Seattle area.

I have the art work already done and it will be out from DRAW Decals soon in both 1/72 and 1/32 scales.

The instruction sheet will have walk-a-round photos to work from also.

Tim

WAAAAAHHHHHHOOOOOOOOO!!! That sounds awesome... I am going to go with the publics opinion on this one... but I will be getting a set of those decals when they come out

Mmmm I voted for the first one. But couldnt decide between 1 or 6. 6 may be the best option if Tim has the decals underway.

Looking forward to following this GB.

Cheers

Anthony

I have a question for you... since you have the Renassiance EC145 detail kit, do you think parts of it could work in this bird?

Well, there are parts of it that can be used like the door handles, seatbelts, hinges, windscreen wipers floor locking tracks as well as the front doors and vac parts (dont know about the front screen) etc.

I imagine you are going to do a 145 some time and you could split the set up and use a bit on each.

So, yes parts will work for your bird, but will leave you with leftovers.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers and looking forward to seeing you get started!

Anthony

I wanted to let you know how I look at a possible paint scheme to do a decal sheet.

First, you have to look at the way decals work or don’t work. They love flat surfaces, they hate complex curved surfaces. The EC-135 has a lot of them, especially around the tail rotor and engine.

I have looked at many great paint schemes, only to pass on them. It’s a toss up, is this part going to be decal or paint? Could I get the decal to go around this area? Where do I stop the paint and add the decal? If you paint one area and need a decal to continue the stripe lets say. Will the decal match the paint in color? #3 is a good example.

Second, will the sheet sell? 99% of the time I do a sheet for myself or another modeler. I can have one sheet done if I need. If it has a possibly that someone else would like it, Greg of DRAW Decals will put it into production for me. I don’t do art work just to make a few bucks, I do it because I think it’s a great scheme for a model.

Here’s my take on the six helicopters.

First I look what parts would be paint, #4 and #6 would be the easiest to paint. The stripes on the PHI could be painted or decals. #6, is a no brainer, easy to paint, easy to make decals. Plus it looks good and I have easy access to it for reference.

#2, you would have to paint the top blue and the mid black. Decal or paint the darker blue stripe and decal the logos. This would be my third choice.

#1,3,5, all of these would have to painted. Getting both sides to match is a real problem.

I hope this give you a little insight on how a sheet comes to be.

Tim

I guess I should probably add in the reasons that these paint schemes were chosen

-1. They are American companies

-2. They are all companies that I have been in contact with as far as the accuracy of the model

-3. They are all schemes that appeal to my eye

-4. They are all schemes that will challenge me as a modeler

-5. They are all intercity/hospital medevac/ambulance companies

-6. They are all EC135s with aftermarket additions (PHI, Metro Aviation, etc.)

Thank you all for your input and especially Tim Bradley for your insight on how to pick the best/least work design. This has all been really helpful in considerations.

You are welcome, we are here to share.

Because you are into medevacs, I though you might like this. This is coming real soon. Decals are done for the 1/48 212 kit with the Belcher Bits parts. It wil be in 1/72 scale too. This helicopter has been retired, being replaced by a Bell 430.

Tim

AIRLIFE412PROFILEsmall.jpg

Remington,

Great ideas! For shear graphic variety and appeal, I would choose number 1.

Tim,

I have been agonizing over the execution of the rather simple, (yawn) Air Methods paint scheme on the EC-135 that is my office:

137LN-1.jpg

I have struggled with the issues that you mentioned above, and haven't been able to work out the logistics of paint/decal areas... I have considered custom paint masks, but don't know if they would pose the same problems on the complex curves as decals? Any advice or suggestions that you or any of the members could provide would be appreciated. I am trying to get the paint codes from our mechanics, as the blue is especially hard to match by eye. Plan to have it professionally mixed. Thanks.

David

Remington,

Tim,

I have been agonizing over the execution of the rather simple, (yawn) Air Methods paint scheme on the EC-135 that is my office:

I have struggled with the issues that you mentioned above, and haven't been able to work out the logistics of paint/decal areas... I have considered custom paint masks, but don't know if they would pose the same problems on the complex curves as decals? Any advice or suggestions that you or any of the members could provide would be appreciated. I am trying to get the paint codes from our mechanics, as the blue is especially hard to match by eye. Plan to have it professionally mixed. Thanks.

David

Awesome! That aircraft was on my short list but I culled it because it wasn't graphically exciting enough for me...

PM me, I bet we could work something out as far as the decals are concerned...

Edited by Remington Box

David,

This one is a piece of cake!

The blue is taped off and sprayed. The Star of Life and the red stripe are the decals. I have the rest of the logos too. I will need some shots of the hospital logos. It's best to find a match with hobby paints so other modelers can build one also. See if they have a paint chip or a can of the touch up paint that you can put some on a card to match with the hobby paints.

Let's do this!

Email me at AirPhotoOne@comcast.net

Tim

David,

This one is a piece of cake!

The blue is taped off and sprayed. The Star of Life and the red stripe are the decals. I have the rest of the logos too. I will need some shots of the hospital logos. It's best to find a match with hobby paints so other modelers can build one also. See if they have a paint chip or a can of the touch up paint that you can put some on a card to match with the hobby paints.

Let's do this!

Email me at AirPhotoOne@comcast.net

Tim

Remington and Tim,

Thanks for your replies! Looks like this is going to be a great group build. PM/e-mail will be on their way. I apologize for highjacking the thread. I look forward to seeing everyone's progress during this build.

David

What's this I hear about a Rescue GB? Any info? How to take part?, etc.

Duke Life Flight's two 135's are painted in opposites (blue and black) (black and blue). The same with UW MedFlight of Madison, WI.

That would be pretty neat to do two 135's that way.

It's nice to see some HEMS discusions!

Cheers

John

What's this I hear about a Rescue GB? Any info? How to take part?, etc.

Duke Life Flight's two 135's are painted in opposites (blue and black) (black and blue). The same with UW MedFlight of Madison, WI.

That would be pretty neat to do two 135's that way.

It's nice to see some HEMS discusions!

Cheers

John

Do you have a picture of the inverse scheme? I might build both at once.

Here is the link to the Rescue GB: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....192462&st=0

Remington,

Tim,

137LN-1.jpg

David

I think that I may have found the ellusive paint color for the blue portion of the aircraft above - Vallejo French Blue :D . I had actually purchased it for the interior seating surfaces, but didn't consider it for the exterior blue color. I have been looking for about two years for the right "premixed color" while trying to work out the logistics of paint scheme - where to use decals, paint, paint masks... I appreciate the feedback and assistance from the members.

David