RAAF F/A-18 & USMC F/A-18D

Very nice looking Bugs.. :wacko: Waco, could you possibly flaw them a little, something minor like a bad wheel... we don't want two bugs looking as good as a Raptor "eh".

Very cool Gregg....that was a good move "eh".

Edited by Angels49
What about me?? I LOVE Canada!! :worship:

All right Mike, send me your address too! I picked up two sheets today so you can have the other one. Waco likes colour birds so he is getting a sheet closest for a CF-18 representing his job. NORAD 50th. You can have the rare leading edge normal A1-C1 CF-18 markings.

Only thing is you have to build it some time with in a year or two.

Edited by phantom

Gee Waco, why didn't you post this topic in the display case? I absolutely have no critiques towards your hornets. In my humble opinion, I think your hornets all look absolutely STUNNING! :thumbsup: :)

:D, Okay, a little crticism. I think the Aussie flags on the outer fins should be 2 scale mm further forward. :lol:. Now a serious critique that I'll have to look up to confirm. I was of the belief that the hi-vis birds didn't have the catapult bar, that that was a modification as the aircraft went through deep cycle maintenance to reduce or stop nosewheel shimmy. At the same time didn't they received their lo-vis markings? I could be wrong and stand to be corrected but that's my belief.

:unsure:,

Ross.

Ross -

Could be on the high vis markings. I used them because they look cooler than the low vis ones. Also the low vis markings disappeared into the general surface colors, and were generally unuseable from that perspective. Once the setting solution dried, I literally couldn't see the things. Upon later discussion, the end recipient stated he liked the high vis markings better anyway, so that's what I used.

No idea about the catapult bar. I know they have a square piece of metal fitted to control shimmy, I just left the kit part as is for simplicity.

Thanks for the inputs!

:lol:, Hi Ken,

Thank you for the clarification. I stand corrected. I'll have to have a chat with Motty next time I see him and find out if the catapult bar was a notified mod to be completed by a certain date or just as the jets went through heavy maintenance. I agree Waco, Aussie Hornets look much better in their hi-vis markings than the lo-vis style. If you think the markings blended in too much on your model you should see a low-vis RAAF Hornet that's been in service for some time. If identification were dependant on being able to see national markings you wouldn't be able to identify our Hornets from anyone else's, except that theirs would probably have more colourful markings.

:unsure:,

Ross.

Nice work Waco. Pretty realistic weathering as well. I like both subjects, but the eye is certainly drawn to the Aussie Jet. Interesting load-out. I personally wouldn't off-set the external fuel tanks like that - but that's just the OCD in me - I need symetry. Nice to see you aren't afraid to go against the grain.

Is it the surface it's sitting on, or is the Aussie Jet have a small slant to one side? Might need to carefully move the gear a touch - but again, maybe it's just the surface it was sitting on.

That's the only things I could really point out. Otherwise it looks pretty darn nice. Again, realistic look to them. :unsure:

:D,

HI Tilt,

If those fuel tanks are full, and I notice what i think is a slight lean to that side on the USMC Hornet then the lean would actually be correct. Maybe Waco built them that way. From experience fuelling Mirages many times that were fitted with big tanks I can assure everyone that as you fill one side tank (no single point refuel with the old Miracle I'm afraid) the jet would actually settle on that main undercarriage strut and from the front the aircraft would look very lopsided until you had filled the tank under the other wing. If it also had a large centreline tank it would settle further as that tank was filled.

Ross.

Edited by ross blackford
:D, Hi Ken,

Thank you for the clarification. I stand corrected. I'll have to have a chat with Motty next time I see him and find out if the catapult bar was a notified mod to be completed by a certain date or just as the jets went through heavy maintenance. I agree Waco, Aussie Hornets look much better in their hi-vis markings than the lo-vis style. If you think the markings blended in too much on your model you should see a low-vis RAAF Hornet that's been in service for some time. If identification were dependant on being able to see national markings you wouldn't be able to identify our Hornets from anyone else's, except that theirs would probably have more colourful markings.

Ross.

Ross, you're welcome. I like the hi-vis roundels as well, and thought they were going to be phased out

;),

Hi Ken,

I think the jets are receiving their lo-vis markings gradually as they go through deep cycle maintenance. It'll be a shame to see the colourful markings disappear altogether but I guess that's a decision that's been made by their Airships. I'm certainly missing the black and yellow tail chevrons on the OCU birds that have been 'sanitised'.

:),

Ross.

Hi Ken,

I think the jets are receiving their lo-vis markings gradually as they go through deep cycle maintenance. It'll be a shame to see the colourful markings disappear altogether but I guess that's a decision that's been made by their Airships. I'm certainly missing the black and yellow tail chevrons on the OCU birds that have been 'sanitised'.

:),

Ross.

I liked the full color mini-Australian flag on the tails too

It's good to see Waco's model - makes me want to get to mine someday

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!! Both of them! VERY nice weathering!

I do have a question though: is it normal for the markings to retain their sharpness in weathered birds such as these? Or should they be subdued?

This is for my own benefit too since I'm currently building a USMC Hornet (I'm absolutely certain I won't do as good a job!).

Edited by Mike C