M-113A1 Photo

scan0071copy.jpg

Reforger 1974 West Germany

I have more from my own personal collection from days long gone. Let me know if anyone wants more posted.

All photos are the property of the poster Alpha13, from my personal collection, none are scans from books or from the Internet or else where. They are shown for the purpose for hobbyists and fans of tactical vehicles. Using them for financial gain by others is prohibited. Thanks

Edited by Alpha13
I have a few 113s waiting for the Glue Gods,more pics would be great! The earlier the better!

scan0072copy.jpg

scan0075copy.jpg

scan0073copy.jpg

scan0076copy.jpg

I'll post more in the future

All photos are the property of the poster Alpha13, from my personal collection, none are scans from books or from the Internet or else where. They are shown for the purpose for hobbyists and fans of tactical vehicles. Using them for financial gain by others is prohibited. Thanks

Edited by Alpha13

scan0077copy.jpg

Railhead M-114's on the left M-113's on the right

Edited by Alpha13

More photos

scan0083copy.jpg

This APC is the same as photo #1 before the ferns were added. "Lilli Marlene" A-13 1/16th Inf

scan0078copy.jpg

A-13 with a later paint scheme and at the wash rack. Note A-31 still has the old pattern scheme.

scan0079copy.jpg

scan0080copy.jpg

After a bath.

scan0081copy.jpg

A different APC A-12 3/10th Inf

scan0082copy.jpg

A-12 and A-11

Edited by Alpha13
Speaking of M-113s,I just got the new M-113 APC in Vietnam in Action book from Squadron/Signal. Lots of great pics in the book and tons of diorama ideas! ALPHA,great photos you post as well! I never heard of an M-114 tho.

M-114's were in US Army Infantry mechanized scout/recon platoons and cav troops in the 60's-70's. They were phased out in the mid 70's. They had a 283 Chevy small block and a 20mm canon and a crew of 3.

Mike

Edited by Alpha13
Really awesome photos. Especially so as that era doesn't make it onto the internet as much. Are these USAREUR?

Yes, all except the last two are USAREUR from the early, mid 70's. The last two are stateside at Fort Polk, late 70's.

Both tracks A-13 and A-12 I became very familiar with, drove, TC'd, maintained and sometimes slept in.

Mike

scan0099copy.jpg

OD Green M-113A1 11th ACR

Edited by Alpha13

scan0101copy.jpg

Returning from Reforger. Two infantry companies of M-113's (42) and M-578 VTR's (2) are on the flatcars.

Edited by Alpha13

scan0103copy.jpg

Edited by Alpha13

scan0115copy.jpg

scan0116copy.jpg

The easy way to replace a worn out inner road wheel.

Edited by Alpha13
Hey flyingfortress, any pictures in that Vietnam book for Air Force M-113s?

scan0036copy.jpg

Loading on a C-130

scan0140copy.jpg

Edited by Alpha13

We had pretty basic vehicles. No fording gear, rubber side panels or any equipment for entering the water. They had no tools on the top, no communication equipment except a hand-held radio, although I did see a couple with a small silver antenna mounted on the top behind the driver's position. We didn't even have night vision for driving:

scan0150.jpg

scan0142.jpg

scan0141.jpg

scan0288.jpg

scan0286.jpg

scan0289.jpg

Like the XM-706 they carried a 13 man Quick Reaction Team (QRT) armed with a selection of M-16s a couple of which had the M-149 grenade launcher, the commander/driver carried a GAU with a launcher, and they had 2 M-60s and a XM-174 automatic grenade launcher. For us the .50 cal. was not authorized because of its great range and power.

However:

scan0148.jpg

scan0144.jpg

scan0149.jpg

This was the "Devil's Deciple", it was used as a rolling security control center and was kept isolated from the main vehicle fleet until it was needed. Then it would move into the base sector where the trouble was and become the on-scene commander until the situation was resolved. You had to be a least a SSGT to be assigned to this one and then you were usually the driver or gunner.

• 4 weeks later...

scan0001copy-1.jpg

This is what happens when 11 tons and the head of a 3/4" bolt snags a VW from the City of Augsburg that's trying to beat a convoy during Reforger 1974

scan0002copy-1.jpg

Left rear fender damage when trailing APC hits lead APC. Note the tracks of a third M113A1 on the pavement that went down the embankment and off into the brush.

Edited by Alpha13

DSCN1349.jpg

Ft Benning, GA

Edited by Alpha13
  • 11 months later...

1163zcopy.jpg

New paint on the APC's for the photo.

Alpha13, I've noticed that in almost all your photos, it looks like the -113s do not have side skirts. In photos I have of the 1980s, the side skirts are back. Were side skirts unpopular with M113 crews, or with the Army, in the 1970s?

I can't speak for Alpha but I know that when our sister Cav unit deployed in the field with their 113's, they often removed these if the terrain was muddy. I assume that the skirts could trap mud and make working on the tracks more difficult.