Hey all,

I know this is way off topic, but do any other ARCers here dabble in HO or N scale railroading?

I did years ago, but never returned to it. Had a huge layout when I was in High School.

When I went in the AF in 1982, my Mom sold everything without telling me :explode:

Last summer, I bought a box of assorted HO scale junk at a rummage sale, and it turned out to be pretty extensive. Everything but engines

Anyway, I would really like to get back into this a little bit down the road, and was wondering if anyone else here might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Cheers, Ian

Edited by imatt88
Hey all,

I know this is way off topic, but do any other ARCers here dabble in HO or N scale railroading?

I did years ago, but never returned to it. Had a huge layout when I was in High School.

When I went in the AF in 1982, my Mom sold everything without telling me :explode:

Last summer, I bought a box of assorted HO scale junk at a rummage sale, and it turned out to be pretty extensive. Everything but engines

Anyway, I would really like to get back into this a little bit down the road, and was wondering if anyone else here might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Cheers, Ian

Ian,

I have hundreds of HO locomotives, brass, die cast, plastic. I did a lot of scratch building, detailing and custom painting.

I can share photos here or via email if you like.

Mike

Mike,

Cool, send me a few pics of what you have. I'd like to see how you are set up as well

Cheers, Ian

Here are some.

scan0127.jpg

General Motors FL-9 New Haven Railroad (custom painted)

scan0125.jpg

Alco S-2 New Haven Railroad (custom painted)

scan0126.jpg

Alco PA-1 New Haven Railroad (custom painted)

scan0123.jpg

General Electric E-33 Virginian Railroad (I scratchbuilt the body)

scan0119.jpg

General Motors F-7A Florida East Coast (custom painted)

scan0121.jpg

General Motors F-7B Florida East Coast (custom painted)

I've done US N scale railroading for years, although I did take a break for about 25 years while heavily into R/C aircraft.

Rivarossi Big Boy dating from about 1980

bigboy.jpg

Some of my more recent locos

steamers.jpg

Kingman AZ, Storage Depot 41

overview1.jpg

overview2.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
I've done US N scale railroading for years, although I did take a break for about 25 years while heavily into R/C aircraft.

Rivarossi Big Boy dating from about 1980

bigboy.jpg

Some of my more recent locos

steamers.jpg

Hi there,

I became burnt out on trains, thinking about selling my entire collection. I have many 1/32 and 1/35 aircraft and armor kits waiting the bench work. I prefer the big scales.

We have the same last name. My family tree is from Ireland.

Michael Carr

With N scale, space isn't really a problem. The layout, built purely as an exhibition layout, is 11ft 6in long by 2ft 6in wide. It has three main lines, ( two ovals and one figure eight ) with a yard at the front, and hidden staging to the rear. It was designed to always have a train in view to keep the public interested. It is loosely based on the railroad that ran past the scrapping facility in Kingman Arizona in 1945 to 1947. The layout is built in three bolt together sections that stack on top of each other for storage and transport.

Edited by Army_Air_Force

Ian,

www.trains.com has model railroad discussion forums as does www.atlasrr.com. I am into N scale myself. Primarily the midwest in the early 50's but the time frame can be pushed to the 70's. I lean towards passenger trains and can field only one train on my current layout at a time. Rock Island, Santa Fe, and the Wabash Cannon Ball are represented.

A lot has changed over the years and you will find an incredible variety of items to round out what you still need.

Before you start investing a lot of money I would suggest you pick a certain era in railroading (steam, transition, diesel) and a certain area of the country where your railroad will exist. Will you go around in circles or would you like to switch cars at various track side industries? Prevent overspending by having a plan, I didn't do this quickly enough. I could go on much longer about planning but most here may not be interested. If you want more info contact me off line.

If hope this helps,

Bob Lipka

Hey all,

Indeed, in this very forum.

And I still stand by my contention that older Athearn products can make nice models. My father has recently overhauled an Athearn PA-1 and PB-1 combination with lots of aftermarket and a new finish to make stunning models. Repowered, and now operating with DCC sound, they are the equal, I think, to some of the high-end stuff from Asia.

Edited by Fishwelding