1/32 Su-27 Flanker, Ukraine "56" - Final Pics

• 5 weeks later...

Finally an update from my side... still settling in to the new home and country.

Here is one almost completed exhaust, still needs to be painted etc and is just trial-fitted into the fuselarge...

DSCN1832.jpg

DSCN1831.jpg

... no inside exhaust pics, never got the camera to focus accordingly.

And some other work... the inlets at the base of the vertical tails were thinned out from the inside and outside to create a larger and smaller inlet, respectively, just as on the real thing. The inside splitter was also added to the larger inlet.

DSCN1837.jpg

And last, another pic of the leading edge, with the filled step. I'm showing this again sice I'm really impressed with how this happened to turn out.

DSCN1839.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

Hi Marcel,

Glad to hear that everyone is settling in at last and equally glad to see a Flanker update. :)

Those PitzModels burner cans do look good. You've made a great job of the finish on them, well done. (Still can't quite grasp why Mr Opitz gave the forward row of petals one straight and one curved edge though. :hmmm:) They are going to look mega under a coat of paint. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Thx Jon, Chuck, Terry, Guy!

The painting will have to wait a little, need to still buy a compressor, it's 220V over here.

Hi Marcel,

Glad to hear that everyone is settling in at last and equally glad to see a Flanker update.

Thanks Guy, it's been a crazy time getting over here but I do finally have a really good setup. Also looks like my models survived the trip in perfect condition (only opened one but it looks good). I took plenty of pics of the packaging and will report on that when I have unpacked them all.

(Still can't quite grasp why Mr Opitz gave the forward row of petals one straight and one curved edge though. )
It kinda looks like that though, right?

Finally getting a lot of modelling time in, watch this space.

Marcel

• 1 month later...

I have been putting a lot of work into my Flanker but there's not all that much to show for it. Doing the stabilator actuation mechanism took a ton of effort, I rebuit the things three time, since twice I noticed that what I had just completed wasn't accurate... basically because the kit rendition isn't. Here goes:

First, to get grounded, a pic of the real thing on "56"... she's flying on this pic, so the stabilizers are not drooping. I did notice that this part of the aircraft seems to look very slightly different on later versions of the Flanker. But then again, maybe I'm just spending waaay too much time looking at this stuff :woot.gif:

0664361.jpg

And here's what I did:

DSCN1961.jpg

DSCN1960.jpg

DSCN1958.jpg

DSCN1955.jpg

And here my take on those litte vents atop the engines.

This is how the kit looks:

DSCN1837.jpg

Before adding the cowling, I drilled the actua pipe exit, which is visibe under the cowling...

DSCN1952.jpg

And with the help of a litte plastic card...

DSCN1963.jpg

Brush painted to check if everything worked out ok...

DSCN1968.jpg

Some detail changed on the vertica stabilizers...

DSCN1957.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Marcel

Thx Mark, Chuck, Guy... glad to see you guys still following this despite how long it's taking.

Here are some updates on the flaps:

DSCN1948.jpg

I'm really short on reference material for the flap mechanism... at least that's my excuse for not adding more detail :rolleyes:

I also increased the width of the flaps toward the trailing edge to reduce the gap to the fuselarge, it should be pretty flush also when drooping, which is not the case on the kit.

And here a look at that "plate" at the inside of the flaps... seems to usually get missed but is a quick job to repicate with plastic card.

DSCN1956.jpg

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is how the exhausts are shaping up.

The turbine and afterburner cans are from Aires, the flame hoders are from the Trumpeter set, somewhat sanded to fit inside the Airs cans, and I also added the detail provided by the Pitzmodels set.

Turbine and flame holder build-up:

DSCN1945.jpg

DSCN1946.jpg

Painted, using Humbrol Gunmetal as a base, then washing with black wash, then finishing with pastels to attain a very matt look. I used a little bit of green on the turbine cone since they sometimes do look a little green tinged:

DSCN2007.jpg

The assemled cans. I used Tamiya weathering finishes to get the blue and orange tinge to the divergent section, as noted on the real thing. After that, I lightly brushed with light gray pastel to ensure a matt look. Interestingly, the nozzle sections don't seem to be ceramic lined.

DSCN2016.jpg

DSCN2014.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's an update showing what I'm trying to do with the exhaust. First, a look at the real thing Airliners.net

I have better pics of this area but cannot paste them here since I don't have ©.

Some notes:

1. The engines kinda slide INTO the engine cowling and not against... i.e. my Pitzmodels metal exhausts should look like they slide into the Trumpeter fuselarge.

2. There is a slight lip on the top section of the part where the engine nacelle meets the fuselarge.

3. The top fuselarge section towards the inside of the engines is a slightly raised panel.

Here's what I started with:

DSCN2038.jpg

DSCN2035.jpg

DSCN2034.jpg

Using thin plastic card, I recreated the engine housing, which gives a nice, clean transition between plastic and metal exhaust and also represents the fact that the engine slides INTO the fuselarge. That inside, sightly elevated section is also produced with plastic card.

DSCN2045.jpg

DSCN2047-1.jpg

DSCN2048.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Marcel

Happy, belated Festivus everybody!

I thought I'd show some pics of how my engine mounting is working out... must say I'm really pleased with how this is turning out.

DSCN2071.jpg

DSCN2072.jpg

And now for some details.

There is a little intake on the starboard side, just in front of the flap. I cheked multiple sources to confirm that this is also on "56":

http://www.flanker.free.fr/mono/Texte/su-27SK-SM-SMK/TN_0104.JPG

Here is what I did (you'll notice the the Trumpeter kit is too shallow on that area but not much I'm going to do about that):

DSCN2026.jpg

DSCN2051.jpg

On the port side, there is a noticable access door on the engine nacelle. I checked pics of "56" to make sure it's on that aircraft as well.

http://www.flanker.free.fr/mono/Texte/su-27SK-SM-SMK/TN_0563.JPG

And my solution:

DSCN2033.jpg

DSCN2039.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy a Merry Christmas and thx for looking,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

Thx Tonal and Eageaviation! Really appreciate the feedback! I was wondering if anyone was still interested in this build.

Regarding more detail on the exhausts, go back a page on this thread, there are quite a few pics there. The set is really hard to build, the hardest things I have ever had to put together but I do love the way they look and to my eye both the kit and the Aires set have the wrong shape.

So here's another update of litte details and corrections that are keeping me very busy.

First, some detais added to the port front fuselarge area:

Reference: Flanker

Work-in-progress to show you how I did this:

lerxvent1.jpg

The result:

lerxvent.jpg

Starboard side:

AdditionalVentstarboard.jpg

(Some gunk stuck in the slots on this one)

addventstarboard.jpg

And some tiny details added to the horizontal stabs. You can also see how the fairing is looking now... totally rebuilt this whole area since the kit looks pretty bad here IMO.

Reference: Flanker

horstab.jpg

horzstab2.jpg

And here is how my flaps are looking. Note the little horizontal plate section on the inside of the flap.

wingflap.jpg

I also added this fairly prominent panel on the rudder (as I think both Wasserfall and Guy did). Reference: Flanker

DSCN2070.jpg

The camera makes the panel look more prominent than it really is but I'll probably still sand it down a little more.

vertstabsiffener2.jpg

Thanks for looking and any feedback welcome,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

Beautiful work there Marcel! Interesting to see the white overspray at the top of the v. stab in that last reference picture.

1. How come parts of your model are (or look like) painted with the final color as opposed to just a primer? I assume you're not using that coating for a final finish, so what's the benefit to using it at this point in the game?

2. How did you go about making all those vents? They're all so symmetrical and look amazing!