1/32 Su-27 Flanker, Ukraine "56" - Final Pics

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Marcel, great to see you back at this project! Nothing better than jumping back on the saddle after a break (excuse the pun!). :tumble:

Chuck, good to see you back on here! Looks like we've both been taking things pretty easy.

And yes, I did enjoy your pun, although it does hurt a little :woot.gif:

Cheers,

Marcel

Here's a minor update. Well, I feel like I have put in quite a bit of work, there's just not all that much to show for it. But I do think I have just about got one of the kit's biggest headaches behind me, which is fitting the intakes and then rescribing all the panel line detail that was lost in the process.

Onto other things: Here are some little detail additions that I did. Quite hard to find good reference pics of these items. It's a little frustratng placing details such as this on the kit, as I tried lining them up to match the location of the real thing, I once again realized that really nothing on the kit is accurate. But enough whining, here goes:

DSCN9586.jpg

DSCN9585.jpg

And here's an overall view:

DSCN9589.jpg

Thx for looking,

Marcel

Hey Marcel,

I am really impressed that you threw this build against the wall (like we all do once in awhile ;) ), but hung in there and now you're in the driver's seat. I love this fighter and I'll likely make one myself. Thanks for showing us how at "Marcel" level!

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3
Hey Marcel,

I am really impressed that you threw this build against the wall (like we all do once in awhile :salute: ), but hung in there and now you're in the driver's seat. I love this fighter and I'll likely make one myself. Thanks for showing us how at "Marcel" level!

Chuck

Thx for the vote of confidence! What are you getting up to these days anyway, any news on the Hornet?

Marcel

Thx for the vote of confidence! What are you getting up to these days anyway, any news on the Hornet?

Marcel

I'm taking a "Lancaster Sabbatical" right now at this link....

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=205003

Although I'm dying to get back at the Hornet. Maybe by August?

Wow! Seems to be a high detailed project...

I am really looking forward for your next update!

Cheers

Panos

Thx Panos! I need all the support I can get on this project, it's pretty time consuming.

Cheers,

Marcel

Very nice detail work on your Su27!!

Indeed sometime it's frustrating that this kit has it's minor glimpses:), i know all to wel.

Hope to see some more details soon!!

Regards

Wasserfall

Thx Wasserfall! Getting all of the resin to fit also takes some time.

CHeers,

Marcel

• 1 year later...

So I'm leaving aside the Typhoon to get back at the Flanker... that's because my relocation is coming along and I have had the opportunity to work on this big project.

Here are some pics of the Pitzmodels exhaust that I have made some progress on. It's definitely not for beginners! I started with the outside sections, thinking those would be easier, but I have really struggled to wrap the etched sections around the brass tube so that they join without a large gap. Nonetheless, I am pleased with the way things look so far.

Here is a work-in-progress step, the key is to use those cable ties, fasten them tightly around a smaller section of the assembly and then push them towards the larger section, thereby tightening the etched pieces around the brass tube.

DSCN1709.jpg

DSCN1710.jpg

Here is how one finished outside section looks... it still needs some cleaning up:

DSCN1711.jpg

A comparison with the Aires set. The reason I was interested in the Pitz set in the first place is that the Aires, as well as the kit exhausts, look slightly convergent to the outside to me, while the actual exhausts are basically straight out. The petals of the Pitz set also look better-sized, the Aires petals look too narrow. I also just like the crisp look of the etched metal.

DSCN1712.jpg

DSCN1713.jpg

Thx for looking,

Marcel

Marcel,

Those exhausts look great. I contemplated getting them (I have five trumpeter flankers in the stash), but they're pricey and look daunting to assemble. I'm glad you're showing show to put them together. How do you plan on painting them? Alclad? I wonder if you can actually heat them in a toaster oven to achieve the heat induced coloration. No I'm not kidding.

Terry

Marcel,

Those exhausts look great. I contemplated getting them (I have five trumpeter flankers in the stash), but they're pricey and look daunting to assemble. I'm glad you're showing show to put them together. How do you plan on painting them? Alclad? I wonder if you can actually heat them in a toaster oven to achieve the heat induced coloration. No I'm not kidding.

Terry

Thx Terry... I am not yet sure on how to paint them, but yes, I have considered somehow naturally discoloring them. Heating them seems a little risky . But I have considered dropping them into hot water with egg-shells, which apparantly discolors Al foil. Maybe it will do the same thing here?

That said, I will probably end up using SNJ or Alcad.

Cheers,

Marcel

Hi Marcel,

Beautiful work on the Pitzmodel exhausts. Oh man! I wish those puppies had been available when I made my Su-27. They look stupendous.

Over on LSP a guy is using them on a Su-27UB build and he's used heat to give them a coloured finish. Look >>here<< for how he performed the heating process.

I look forward to your next update.

:cheers:

Thanks Adam, thanks Rom.

Hi Marcel,

Beautiful work on the Pitzmodel exhausts. Oh man! I wish those puppies had been available when I made my Su-27. They look stupendous.

Over on LSP a guy is using them on a Su-27UB build and he's used heat to give them a coloured finish. Look >>here<< for how he performed the heating process.

I look forward to your next update.

Thanks! That's a pretty gutsy move over on LSP... it's taken me foreever to assemble the outside exhausts (more pics to follow), I don't think I'll risk it.

In the mean time, I have also been working on the rest of the kit. First off, an overall shot. Yes, the wings are on :woo:

DSCN1723-1.jpg

And this is what the pit is looking like (for some reason Photobucket rotates this image by 90deg):

DSCN1731-1.jpg

And here the main effort of the past two days: The wing leading edge.

First off, the slot in the LERX is too far back on the Trump kit. It is also placed inside a kind of plate on the real thing. This is what I did to replicate that... pretty much the same as what Wasserfall did, I think. Fill the existing slot, carve out a new slot and place a correctly shaped plate with slot over the opening.

DSCN1728-1.jpg

Attachment of the leading edge:

DSCN1743-1.jpg

And then here is a bigger problem. For some reason kit manufacturers like to place a step into the front of the wing where the leading edge can retract into. That's pure fantasy in general and pure fantasy for the Su-27 in particular. Here is what the leading edge will look like with that step. Also note that the gap between wing and leading edge should be very tight and not truck-sized.

DSCN1751.jpg

Another view. Also note the small brass rod added to the leading edge, if the leading edge were moveable on the model it would retract into the slot described above.

DSCN1754-1.jpg

I filled the step with plastic sheeting. I can't get my dinky camera to focus in on the gap but I am really pleased with the result.

DSCN1747-1.jpg

DSCN1753.jpg

:cheers:

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

HOLY *COW! Those exhaust cans look AMAZING! Watch out folks, we've got a Master Craftsman at work here! Now where's that "Watch Topic" button?

*for lack of an allowable expletive

Edited by blunce

I have been working on the exhaust insides. First off, here is a pic of what you're supposed to do, which is attach the inside petal section to the Trumpeter cans (after attaching those brass channel sections).

DSCN1763.jpg

I ended up attaching everything to the Aires cans since those are much nicer and I have them anyway. That turned out to be really really challenging, since the diameters are not the same. I ended up adding some plastic strip to the outside of the can, cutting off a bunch of the metal sheet and swearing a lot. Anyways, I eventually got Aires and Pitz to mate up and be happy.

Next step was introducing the convergent/divergent angle. I produced the 20 deg template to help out, in retrospect I would make this 25deg next time around.

DSCN1771.jpg

And this is how things looked then, which is to say kinda messy:

DSCN1767.jpg

Starting to look better once drawn together with an elastic band:

DSCN1769.jpg

And then here it all is inside the outer section (after the metal ring has been placed to permanently converge the convergent section).

DSCN1773.jpg

... yeah, not looking forward to individually lining up and glueing each of the inner sections to the outside petals :bandhead2:

Thanks for looking,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111