Uh oh, Star Wars again! FM 72nd X-Wing

Aloha all,

Want to share a few images of my first completed model in 2010... Strangely the last model of 2009 & my first for 2010 were/are both Star Wars subjects! Ahh, they're just fun to build I guess ;) I've already started on something more "scale", hope to post that here soon as well!

Anyway, here's Fine Molds 72nd X-Wing. I actually started the kit as a quick build on New Years eve but put it down for a couple weeks once the holiday was over and it was back in the office/on the road. I managed to finish her this weekend, a pretty enjoyable & straight forward build. No real show stoppers with this one, a few configuration differences between examples but again very easy to sort out. It was primed in black then individual panels airbrushed in the base color armor style (believe it was light gull gray). I used Mr. Color lacquers almost exclusively. The decals were then applied without a gloss base using Mr. Color mark setter & mark softener, once they were all setup I shot a couple of filters to harmonize everything. One note regarding the decals... They're excellent & settle down perfectly but I'm not 100% sold of the colors used for some of the patchwork. I went with "Red 3", the most beat up & therefore "interesting" of the options provided. I managed to find some images of the Red 3 studio model which didn't really match Fine Molds interpretation. I started to get wrapped around the axle but quickly realized I was building a model of a model and just went with it ;) I used a small amount of pastel chalk here and there but kept it toned down... I probably could gone with a bit more as the movie Red 3 looked REALLY dirty. The last thing I did was apply a little battle damage using my dremel with airbrushed blast marks. Overall a very relaxing & enjoyable experience... A fun way to start the new year :)

Let me know what ya think & if I should dirty her up further!

Thanks for looking & Mahalo :cheers:

Mark

DSC_3310.jpg

DSC_3313.jpg

DSC_3317.jpg

DSC_3318.jpg

DSC_3320.jpg

Well Done, Mark ! :cheers:

I loved how in the movies, all the markings were not common among the squadron, like Red 3 not having the 'candy cane stripes' on the alternate laser blasters ... Just the sort of thing that gave them a more 'real' look ...

Your T-65 looks fantastic, I love the weathering ... Congrats on another "Fine" Star Wars build ... ;)

Gregg

.... I started to get wrapped around the axle but quickly realized I was building a model of a model and just went with it ....

That's the spirit! Way to "git er done" or in your case "pau hana da kine"!

Your model, it look sooo nice, ya?

Edited by John B

Aloha gents & a big MAHALO for the kind words and comps... Very much appreciated :thumbsup:

Have one more Star Wars related build going on but wanna finish something a little more scale first... Your motivating words will keep me rolling for sure ;)

Ahui hou :cheers:

Mark