Russian Knight

Thankyou guys :bandhead2:

Bit more progress on this big Russian birdy :whistle:

As you can see the fuselage is all sealed up and I've given it a light dusting of Tamiya primer to check seams and panel lines. I've dropped the front slats a tad which are moulded as seperate components but need a little work to lower them.

firstprime1.jpg

Brake parachute hatch cut open and tidied up. I managed to save the hatch portion and re-build it partly.

firstprime2.jpg

Looking mean :)

firstprime4.jpg

The cockpit tub is just about there, joysticks to be detailed and added, as well as the K-36 seats, but this is where I am at so far. The HUD section is entirely scratchbuilt as I lost the Neomega part (despite emailing them twice to see if I could purchase a replacement, they ignored me :deadhorse1: ) Still - I guess things happen for a reason.. I kind of like the result - The yellow HUD lens is from Littlecars and works really well to my eye.

cockpitnearly.jpg

The vacform Windscreen is just taped in place for now, but fits snugly after some careful whittling.

cockpitnearly2.jpg

cockpitnearly3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thats some sharp work there, impressive masking across the dorsal "hump" I always find it incredibly difficult to keep that sort of thing straight, did you mask that with tape or a paper pattern?

Oh, and CABLE CLIPS??? Sheesh, I find it hard enough to make a wing fit properly, let alone a flipping Cable Clip!

Look forward to watching it come together, like what you've done with the slats, gives it a bit more "life"

Matt

Thats some sharp work there, impressive masking across the dorsal "hump" I always find it incredibly difficult to keep that sort of thing straight, did you mask that with tape or a paper pattern?

Oh, and CABLE CLIPS??? Sheesh, I find it hard enough to make a wing fit properly, let alone a flipping Cable Clip!

Look forward to watching it come together, like what you've done with the slats, gives it a bit more "life"

Matt

Thanks Matt & Rom , actually the masking is incredibly easy - the Tamiya tape remains straight - just allow it to travel up the hump following the same line as the wing demarcation - no bending or manipulating of the tape needed :jaw-dropping:

2nd Painting stage....

red1.jpg

red2.jpg

red3.jpg

Excellent, looks a treat, and I'll have to give Tamiya Tape a go, I keep meaning to grab a roll or 3 when I'm in the LHS but somehow it doesn't happen, you've convinced me.

That is some excellent masking - and painting.

Those colours look spot on.....

Ken

If you say it looks spot on, I'm happy :worship:

Cheers Ken - 25 Blue is the airframe I'm looking to replicate, so there'll be some weathering involved :jaw-dropping:

John

Thankyou chaps :cheers:

John, excellent masking and painting. I applaude your skill!

Curiuos why the exhaust nozzles are in (as they are covered in some overspray), are you using them to support the plane with a rod or similar, for painting? I am sure you have a good reason LOL

Hi Ken, yeah they are the cutting edge set, I've attached them as I might as well at this stage, although there is a little overspray I'll be cleaning them up when the engine painting starts :worship: She''l be sitting on her undercarriage as normal, airbrake extended.

Edited by Skii
Thankyou chaps :)

Hi Ken, yeah they are the cutting edge set, I've attached them as I might as well at this stage, although there is a little overspray I'll be cleaning them up when the engine painting starts ;) She''l be sitting on her undercarriage as normal, airbrake extended.

thanks John - I knew you had a reason for it ;-)

If you say it looks spot on, I'm happy :D

Cheers Ken - 25 Blue is the airframe I'm looking to replicate, so there'll be some weathering involved :beer4:

John

Hi.

Yes that is some VERY nice painting there !!! Yours is the inspiration for me doing my 27 UB.

BTW, I wasn't thinking at the time, but I've got the Begemont decals to do basically bird you are doing. (and a lot of other Flankers) The sheet has all the masks needed for the painting. I apologize that I didn't offer it to you.

So.... to anyone interested, they can have my Begemont Su 27 decal sheet as I'm using the Lindenhill set instead. (I'll be doing red 64 from Flankers On Patrol Pt 3) Email me and sheet is yours. Only the Ethopian mkg's are missing.

me

Allan

Hi.

Yes that is some VERY nice painting there !!! Yours is the inspiration for me doing my 27 UB.

BTW, I wasn't thinking at the time, but I've got the Begemont decals to do basically bird you are doing. (and a lot of other Flankers) The sheet has all the masks needed for the painting. I apologize that I didn't offer it to you.

So.... to anyone interested, they can have my Begemont Su 27 decal sheet as I'm using the Lindenhill set instead. (I'll be doing red 64 from Flankers On Patrol Pt 3) Email me and sheet is yours. Only the Ethopian mkg's are missing.

me

Allan

Many thanks Alla, I've looked at your progress so far and it is very impressive, I already have the Begemot decal sheet but I didn't want to use the giant decals as they would degrade the surface detail , in contrast I will be using the decals for the tailplane markings.

cheers

John