Russian Knight

• 3 weeks later...

Well, i'm new here, and I think your build is outstanding! Fantastic paint job!

This is a strange coincidence for me. I've been taking a 10-year break from building, and decided to get back into it and build my Academy 1/48th Russian Knights SU-27 I bought about 8 years ago on a whim so I joined ARC and came to re-learn some things in the forum, and now I feel like just canning the idea and putting the box back in the cupboard for another 10 years! :salute:

Wayne

Thankyou very much fellas, it'll be nice to see if this build inspires a few more Russian Knight flankers, I've fallen in love with the scheme which I think complements the airframe beautifully - the hard bit of course is pulling it off in model form!

after spraying the engines and klear coating the rear elevators, I took advantage of the great outdoors to take some snaps of how she currently stands. Let it sheeee-ine !!

tails1.jpg

tails2.jpg

tails3.jpg

tails4.jpg

tails5.jpg

tails6.jpg

tails7.jpg

tails8.jpg

Edited by Skii

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Looking good! How did you get the mottled effect on the exhaust areas?

Hi Mark

Dead easy - darken the alclad with a layer of very thinned Tamiya flat black, and rub the surface down with a 3600 micromesh cloth to achieve the heat scorched effect :woot.gif:

Very, very impressive! Absolutely stunning paintwork on the engines' nacelles metal surfaces!

Would you share your painting technique you used on them? Salt airbrushing? Multiple spraying then sanding?

Cheers!

Alexander.

:)

Edited by Eastern

Absolutetly stunning work John!

In my opinion, this scheme would be very hard to make look un-toylike in modelling terms, (for want of a better word), but you have done a masterful job here.You have made it interesting while still keeping its Demo Team like looks, a real talent from a great modeller.

Beautiful stuff mate! :salute:

Jeff.

Thanks again guys, there is a lot still to do, including chipping and weathering on the leading edges, as above the engine scorch effect was very simple to do, just darken the alclad with very thinned Tamiya flat black and then rub with a 3600 micromesh cloth - as easy as that !

Thanks again for the kind words fellas :whistle:

John

Cheers fellas :whistle:

Airframe washed, more weathering later on, engines next :huh:

wash1.jpg

Awesome painting job !!!!!!!

Can you give us more details on how you performed your airframe washing? Did you dilute your base paint with white and solvent ? If so, can you give the %.

Thanks

Awesome painting job !!!!!!!

Can you give us more details on how you performed your airframe washing? Did you dilute your base paint with white and solvent ? If so, can you give the %.

Thanks

Hi Tonio

Its the ProModeller wash - brushed on and wiped off when dry. Ideal for a glossy airframe. It was thinly applied over the white areas so as not to be so stark, and more heavily applied over the dark blue and light blue underside. There is still a bit of residue to remove around the engines however.

This is the first time I've used Phil Flory's ProModeller wash and I'm impressed with it - very easy to use and suprisingly easy to vary the starkness depending on coats.

cheers

John