1/48 Scale VH-3D HMX-1 "MARINE ONE"

I've finally settled back in and now have the time to finish this model that I started for the 2006 Helo Group Build. The decals came all the way from Australia... There has been alot of progress since I continued working on this kit a couple weeks ago. Here are a couple pictures.

DSC01829.jpg

Here's the right side where I sanded down the cargo door and placed two additional windows... added the dome antenna on the spine and a larger housing on the bottom near the forward area both done with balsa. Additional smaller antennas on the spine are in progress as well as another housing on the left side bottom.

DSC01828.jpg

Added additional "bumps" near the front left side and along the right side of the spine done with styren. Additional windows were added along with adding the more scenic window near where the President sits. Went ahead and scribed the back door.

Next up will be the auxilary pod over the right sponson - have to kitbash that from some weapons kits or 1/144 scale fuel tanks. But overall I really want to get this one done as I am set to get my 1/48 scale Revell CH-53G.. going to convert it to a PAVELOW III.

More to follow on MARINE ONE...

if you can ge a hold of the Nat geo documentary on Marine one..lots of good reference there too. Including some interior shots

Yep I got that but there are actually few interior shots I can reference ... there's Marine One at the Reagan library but I've decided to forgo the inside detailing :).

DSC01830.jpg

More work - added door hinges, presidential seal panel and some other panels, along with other bumps that I seen in photographs along with the base for a couple countermeasure cylinders and a larger housing on the aft left underside. Filled in the three deep dimples.

DSC01831.jpg

Added two antenna bases to the spine along and extended the area behind the little dome. Added the the base for the countermeasure cylinder and a couple of the other bumps I see in pics.

Going to go ahead and scribe the small panel on the nose and will add the other antennas after painting.

One of the harder areas to work with and I'm going to give myself some creative leeway. Sanded down the padded areas around the sponsons and enclosed the starboard sponson rear rear area. The right sponson should be similar in dimension to the one on the left with the droop at the rear but I decided on dont have the energy to increast the length so I'm leaving it as it is. The APU unit that sitting on top of the right sponson - it has taken me weeks to figure out how to get it - balsa wood.. styren... as I was going through some spare parts last night I noticed that the 1/48 Hasegawa weapons sets had the napalm canister had what I may need. Sure enough I had chopped up the both ends of the canister and then cut off one end to put the exhaust and then sanded down the nose to give it the same shape and presto...

DSC01836.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The VH-3D is 99.95% complete... I just need to add a few more antennas ... but really just like it the way it is... the only critical item on this is that I should of made use of windows from other kits when modifying the windows. The countermeasures tubes underneath should also have been better made. But overall it looks good.

THE VH-60N VIP Blackhawk is next... and the kit needs some modifying! Which will be part of the article I will write for ARC... HMX-1 White Tops!

DSC01877.jpg

DSC01876.jpg