NASA 747 Shuttle Transporter...

Perhaps we should bring our SCA conversion back for our 1:72 747. If we do, we should add the tail cone fairing this time round.

Neil Gaunt

Aircraft In Miniature Limited

Oh please make the cone fairing! Thats the only thing holding me back from making my kits. I dread having to make the cone on the Revell kit.

Robert

I think the best thing is to describe the kit and conversion:

The 747-100/200 has not been revised and is relatively low on the priority list - we cannot do everything at once. It still produces a reasonable model, and the comments received will be incorporated when the revision takes place. I would also like to see a 747-SP kit in the future, together with different engine options.

Tony, thanks a million for the drawings - yes we will do the tailcone fairing (in resin).

To describe the SCA conversion, it consists of:

1 - Cast metal mountings for the shuttle on top of the 747; the existing castings are good and will be reused in the next version of the conversion pack.

2 - We will use the vacform endplate fins again.

3 - A new resin fairing will be produced.

4 - It would be sensible to do new decals for the current markings.

Timescale? I do not know at present - we have so many projects...

Neil Gaunt

Mike,

I happened upon a couple of photos of the 1/100 747's; the top one is the Entex kit with the Tamiya Shuttle on her back, and the bottom one is the Nitto kit. (not sure of the Shuttle manufacturer) Thought you'd like to see them.

1100747.jpg

Take care,

Frank

Edited by oldHooker

For anyone considering building the AIM 747. I received my 1/72 scale 747-100 from Hannants yesterday and it's a thing of beauty. Well worth the price. Neil, you've produced a work of art sir. And, it's HUGH!!!! The fuselage alone is just over 38 inches in length. Turned into about 200 dollars US for those interested in the cost. And, Hannants has a great tracking system to keep one informed of the status of the packages they ship. Will definitely order the DC/KC-10.

Paul :woot.gif:

For anyone considering building the AIM 747. I received my 1/72 scale 747-100 from Hannants yesterday and it's a thing of beauty. Well worth the price. Neil, you've produced a work of art sir. And, it's HUGH!!!! The fuselage alone is just over 38 inches in length. Turned into about 200 dollars US for those interested in the cost. And, Hannants has a great tracking system to keep one informed of the status of the packages they ship. Will definitely order the DC/KC-10.

Paul :mellow:

Thanks for the compliment Paul, it is a pleasure producing these kits and the DC-10 is well on the way - we passed the final production milestone yesterday when we started producing the resin parts which are coming out beautifully. There is currently a pile of packed vacformed parts, another of etched brass, and of cast metal... not to mention the decal sheets! We have had the proofs of the decal sheets of windows and stencils (I don't know if anyone will use all the stencils, there are well over 200), while the windows included strips of normal windows plus individual windows with blinds in different positions. Oh yes, I am also well into writing the instructions! The CAD/CAM used to produce the resin and metal masters has given very satisfactory results - technology has its uses, even if it is expensive. In particular the resin engines are a quantum leap forward. The bullet on the fan even has counterbores for the attachment bolts.

The KC-10 will include decals in dayglo red/yellow/green for the extended boom as requested.

We are also preparing a revised SCA conversion pack which will include the tail cone fairing in resin and current markings.

We are also looking at producing update packs for early Transport Wings kits.

Neil Gaunt

If you're doing the current markings for the SCA's, it was pointed out to me that there are very minor differences in their tail markings. The position of the NASA 'Swoosh' and size of the American flags. Both were parked side by side and sure enough here's a couple pics that show the differences.

SCA_Tails_Left.jpg

SCA_Tails_Right.jpg

Tony

We are also preparing a revised SCA conversion pack which will include the tail cone fairing in resin and current markings.

We are also looking at producing update packs for early Transport Wings kits.

Neil Gaunt

Tony: Thanks for sharing the photos and the Tech drawing.

Paul: Thank you for input regarding the kit. Can I ask if you could post some photos of your kit here? I like to see what all is included in the kit. Also, thanks for letting me know about the service from Hannants. I know of the outfit but never ordered anything from them. I guess, I might have to start it with this 747. Anyway, any pic will sure be appreciated. TIA

Frank: Brother, your on the roll finding the information/reference on the transporter. Your last photos is what I am after but I wouldn't mind going with 1/72 if Neil comes out with SCA conversion.

Neil: I'm glad to see that your doing the SCA conversion w/ tail cone. Can you give us a time frame when this will be up for sale? TIA

Mike

Tony: Thanks for sharing the photos and the Tech drawing.

Paul: Thank you for input regarding the kit. Can I ask if you could post some photos of your kit here? I like to see what all is included in the kit. Also, thanks for letting me know about the service from Hannants. I know of the outfit but never ordered anything from them. I guess, I might have to start it with this 747. Anyway, any pic will sure be appreciated. TIA

Frank: Brother, your on the roll finding the information/reference on the transporter. Your last photos is what I am after but I wouldn't mind going with 1/72 if Neil comes out with SCA conversion.

Neil: I'm glad to see that your doing the SCA conversion w/ tail cone. Can you give us a time frame when this will be up for sale? TIA

Mike

Mike, You're welcome for the kit info and info on Hannant's. Buy it. I'll look up how to post pics and try to post some. If nothing else, I'll attach them to a pm to you for later today since under four feet of snow I'm not going anywhere for a while. (like work for instance).

Tony and Frank, your drawings and photos are invaluable information for me to attempt match the SCA. I would like to do 905. Please, keep those pictures and technical drawings coming. They're priceless. Thank you for your input.

Neil, In looking at the fuselage, it would seem to me that some type of an internal structure would be necessary in addition to the keel if one were going to make your absolutely smashing kit into the SCA in order to prevent it from collapsing under it's own weight. I plan on having the gear down and the aircraft sitting on the ground. Would you happen to have any suggestions? I'm open to any and all advice. I am currently in the process of clearing the decks in order to move the SCA and Shuttle to the front of the line.

I would like to do the Columbia. This project will push my skills, such as they are, to the maximum test. Any references, advice, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really would like to do this one justice.

Thanks,

Paul :monkeydance:

Well, since you asked for more tech art, here's some nice detailed art. I'll break it down into separate posts so it's not so overwhelming.

Overall mods and landing gear art:

SCA_Mods_1.jpg

SCA_Mods_2.jpg

SCA_LG_Nose.jpg

SCA_LG_Body.jpg

SCA_LG_Wing.jpg

Tony

Tony and Frank, your drawings and photos are invaluable information for me to attempt match the SCA. I would like to do 905. Please, keep those pictures and technical drawings coming. They're priceless. Thank you for your input.

I would like to do the Columbia. This project will push my skills, such as they are, to the maximum test. Any references, advice, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really would like to do this one justice.

Thanks,

Paul :)

Looks like I'll be doing some right click and saving tonight! Thanks for posting these!

BTW, The Nitto and Entex 1/100 747 kits are exactly the same. Indeed all the 1/100 747-100/200 kits issued come from the Nitto molds (Doyusha being the last one to issue them). Only difference is decals and maybe some other minor bits. Hobbycraft has also done a 747-400 in 1/100, but that is little more then a travel agency model with no landing gear.

Holy crap Batman, those tech drawings are off the hock!! :thumbsup: Thanks Tony :stupid:

Looking at the drawing of the landing gear, I wonder if the wheels of the Neil 747 are bulged to show off the weight of the plane? If we are to place the shuttle on top of it I think it will look much better if the wheels are bulged.

Mike

Tony,

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!! Those technical drawings are precisely what I'm looking for. They have already answered several questions I had about what to do to provide additional internal support to the model. Now for the first of many questions, (and I hope you won't think of me as a pest). The additional skin placed externally on the fuselage for the external supports, it appears very thin, almost as if it was flared or tapered into the body. The only way it appears to stand out is when 905 was still carrying the AA finish, the skin additions were painted grey. With the body now white, how subtle are these panels? I can't really distinguish them in the pictures I've seen. Would you reccomend using sheet styrene to replicate them or just give an indication of their presence with extra coats of paint masked off in the shapes?

Thanks again

Paul

Mike, You're welcome for the kit info and info on Hannant's. Buy it. I'll look up how to post pics and try to post some. If nothing else, I'll attach them to a pm to you for later today since under four feet of snow I'm not going anywhere for a while. (like work for instance).

Neil, In looking at the fuselage, it would seem to me that some type of an internal structure would be necessary in addition to the keel if one were going to make your absolutely smashing kit into the SCA in order to prevent it from collapsing under it's own weight. I plan on having the gear down and the aircraft sitting on the ground. Would you happen to have any suggestions? I'm open to any and all advice. I am currently in the process of clearing the decks in order to move the SCA and Shuttle to the front of the line.

Thanks,

Paul :jaw-dropping:

We did not find any additional structure necessary - the keel plus the fact that the model is moulded in 2mm/80 thou plastic seems to be sufficient! Regarding timescale truthfully I don't know at present. The DC-10 and KC-10 take quite a lot of time, then there are other models in work... Sorry, I will put out a post when it is ready. Incidentally, looking at these drawings it might well receive other improvements!

Neil Gaunt

Edited by tnuag

That was actually a very good question about the strengthening panels, I had to go out to the airplane to have a closer look. The panels are raised a bit on the airframe, some with lots of rivets. Here's a sampling of shots of those panels. I increased the contrast a bit to help show the details. White on white is a bit tough to shoot sometimes.

SCA_Fwd_Mount_1.JPG

SCA_Fwd_Mount_2.jpg

SCA_Fwd_Mount_3.jpg

SCA_Aft_Mount_01.JPG

SCA_Aft_Mount_2.jpg

SCA_Aft_Panel_1.jpg

SCA_Aft_Panel_2.jpg

SCA_Aft_Panel_3.jpg

Tony

Tony,

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!! Those technical drawings are precisely what I'm looking for. They have already answered several questions I had about what to do to provide additional internal support to the model. Now for the first of many questions, (and I hope you won't think of me as a pest). The additional skin placed externally on the fuselage for the external supports, it appears very thin, almost as if it was flared or tapered into the body. The only way it appears to stand out is when 905 was still carrying the AA finish, the skin additions were painted grey. With the body now white, how subtle are these panels? I can't really distinguish them in the pictures I've seen. Would you reccomend using sheet styrene to replicate them or just give an indication of their presence with extra coats of paint masked off in the shapes?

Thanks again

Paul

Tony works at Dryden as an official NASA photographer. If you are interested in shuttle, chances are very good you've already seen his pictures grace the various publications on the subject (among other aerospace titles). I've got one book to finish writing first, but when that is done and I can get back to my shuttle modeler's resource guide, a few more of Tony's photos will be gracing its pages.

OK, Gang,

Here goes my first attempt at posting a picture.

This is primarily for Mike (Youngtiger1) who asked that I post pictures of the kit. I thought I might add a few things to give a better size comparson. At the top is the Revellogram Orbiter. Directly below is the excellent 747/100 by the very talented Mr. Gaunt of Aircraft in Miniature. By the Way, you can download the instruction sheet for this kit from the AIM site. Next up is the KMC 727. Below that is the Italeri KC-135R, and below the KC-135 is the Revell B-52 which will eventually become Balls 8 with an X-15 hanging under the wing. All of these kits are supposed to be 1/72. But, if you look at the 727, it's seems to be a little bigger than the KC-135, which, if I recall correctly, was based more or less on the 707 airframe, and the 727 is supposed to be smaller than the 707. I also have the 1/72 Heller E-3 Sentry kit, and it's longer than the Italeri KC-135. I suspect the scale is a little off on one or the other. Anywho...The model bench has been cleared and I am now in the serious research stage. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Paul :D

AllHulls.jpg

Edited by Paul Mullins

Paul, thank you so much for taking the time and posting the photograph. It's cool that you did a photo with the other 1/72 kits to give it nice prospective. The 747 looks like a nice kit. One last request if I may, can you take a photograph of all that is included in the kit so that I can see what all is included.

What? Tony is an official NASA photographer........Wow. I will have to look through some of the books I have on space shuttle to see if I have see his work. Man, what an amazing carrier. :jaw-dropping:

Mike

Edited by Youngtiger1